Profile for docb > Reviews

Fringe - Season 5 (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
Fringe - Season 5 (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Final Series, 28 May 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series but thought that Series 5, with its extremely thought-provoking subject matter involving not only discussions of what it means to be truly human but what some of us must sacrifice for other things - such as Walter's genius that, initially destroyed his relationships and causes him to lose his son and is having no emotional feelings really as good as it seems or is human weakness/emotions actually a positive thing - made this final series much more interesting for me. I still remember the wonderful finale of one episode, with Walter sitting in an old, burnt-out taxi cab, playing a tape of 'Only You' and looking round, amidst all the devastation of nature, to see a lone dandelion bravely flowering - a true sign of hope!

I haven't quite finished all the series yet but am hoping the remaining disks will prove as intriguing as the first and provide a fitting ending to what has been a great series which, sadly, has now ended.

Black-Eyed Susans
Black-Eyed Susans
by Julia Heaberlin

1.0 out of 5 stars Overindulgent Rubbish, 14 May 2016
This review is from: Black-Eyed Susans (Paperback)
Like others who have reviewed this novel, I thought it utterly boring. The author, a journalist more used to writing the minimum, has tried to write a "literary" novel; it doesn't work! It was a waste of my money buying it as far as I am concerned.

Chunky Bonded Leather Rectangle Buckle Belt Yellow
Chunky Bonded Leather Rectangle Buckle Belt Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed Belt and Colour But ... Faulty on Arrival, 7 Sept. 2014
This arrived quite promptly but the bonding of the yellow leather to the backing had come away in one place, resulting in my having to take it to a shoe repair shop to have it stuck down - this being cheaper and less of a hassle than sending the product back. I had not even worn the product either!

Nice belt, nice colour but not sure about choosing products from this supplier again in case a similar thing occurs. Of course, it may have been an oversight on their part but it has left me with doubts.

Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" (Critical Studies)
Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" (Critical Studies)
by Rod Mengham

5.0 out of 5 stars Did what it was supposed to do, 8 Feb. 2014
I bought this to be used for A level teaching to give students a better insight into the novel and the all-important AO3 (engagement with critics). As with all of this series, it lived up to expectations.

Delivery was prompt and the book in far better condition than I had anticipated.

Lifemax 24W High Vision Reading Lamp Beige Table 250.2XBEI
Lifemax 24W High Vision Reading Lamp Beige Table 250.2XBEI
Offered by The Friendly Lifestyle Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality product with a very high price - DO NOT BUY!, 16 Nov. 2013
I bought this 18 months ago and was pleased with it - until it suddenly stopped working. It was not a fuse, it was not the bulb but something inside the lamp. Seeing what it cost, I had expected that this product to be more durable and last longer. It is not the high quality product you would expect with that kind of price.

Having also bought an extra bulb (now utterly redundant) too, I was not amused when I approached Amazon to be told "just throw it away" and then being told to contact the manufacturer when it was Amazon who was the seller and the one who held ultimate responsibility for selling me the product.

I understand the warranty was only one year but at that kind of price, you would have expected something more and something better from Customer Service than what I got.

Bitterly disappointed with both product and the service I got from Amazon!

1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four: York Notes Advanced
1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four: York Notes Advanced
by George Orwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it was, 27 Mar. 2013
About what you would expect from a York Notes Advanced. I would have liked questions on each chapter to help with revision and perhaps more AS/A2/IPQ?Extended Essay exam or coursework questions than what was on offer. Nevertheless, not bad for what it was.

Dining on Stones
Dining on Stones
by Iain Sinclair

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and an addition to my Sincalir collection, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dining on Stones (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of psychogeography and London-based novels and poems, so it was good to read this and it worked well as a book to read alongside Lud Heat and Peter Ackroyd's "Hawksmoor". Not perhaps his best but by no means unworthy.

John Keats (Analysing Texts)
John Keats (Analysing Texts)
by Dr John Blades

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could be a bit better, 27 Mar. 2013
I had hoped for a bit more here and a bit more analysis of lexis, rhyme, rhythm, form etc that would have been more helpful for AS and A2 English Lit students rather than a "what the poem means" type thing, which is what I got.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as you get them in Italy, 27 Mar. 2013
They arrived EXTREMELY securely packaged so noto ne glass was in any way damaged - Well done! The glasses look really great and are just like the ones I got served 'Peroni grande' in whilst in Italy - just what I wanted.

1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four: Bloom's Reviews Notes
1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four: Bloom's Reviews Notes
by Harold Bloom

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book, 14 Mar. 2013
This had lots of good things in small bite-sized chunks that were easy to access and read, providing a student with a simple but effective way of accessing critical views and other important information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3