Profile for Mr. Richard P. Evans > Reviews

Content by Mr. Richard P....

Mr. Richard P. Evans (Surrey UK)

Page: 1 | 2
16" Super Slim 12v-24v /230v LED TV Multi Region DVD, Freeview, USB Record. Made in UK
Offered by Mr LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Not high quality, but does the job., 25 Jun 2013
I bought this TV to replace an old portable CRT set in my Kitchen, which is no longer working properly. I actually plan to use it mostly in analogue mode, as I have a number of TVs all tuned to the same modulator.

The initial set up took quite a long time, as it started scanning from right down at about 200 Mhz. I guess that might be useful if you wanted to use it in other countries that still use Band III. Once the scan was complete it found all the digital channels (except the HD channels), plus my 2 analogue modulators.

Picture quality is not quite as good as a CRT set, but this is true of most flat screen TVs, and it is fine as a kitchen TV. Sound quality is a bit of a disappointment, it sounds very tinny.

Another point worth noting. Although it is capable of HD, it does not actually receive the Freeview HD broadcasts in the UK. This is because Freeview HD uses a newer standard called DVB-T2, and a newer codec called H.264, and this TV apparently doesn't support these standards. So if you want to get Freeview HD, then you will need a separate set top box that supports the new standards. Either that, or find a TV that supports DVB-T2.

I have not yet tried the DVD player or the record functions.

LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch (Black) - Test It Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty impressed, but was hoping it would be a bit more robust., 17 May 2013
When I first opened up the package, I was quite impressed.
This is a very solid little torch, and small enough to put it on my key ring, and yet providing an impressive amount of light.

However after having it for a couple of months, sometimes when I switch it on it doesn't work. I then end up unscrewing the battery compartment slightly, and screwing it back on again, and that seems to make it work. It would seem that the internal contacts are not as high quality as I would have liked.

Still quite an impressive little torch though.

Patuoxun® Super Tape to PC USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture Plug and Play with Earphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed with the sound quality., 17 May 2013
When I first started trying to digitise my tape collection, I used an old boom box that had a built in cassette deck. then I thought, perhaps if I get some kine of new tape player, perhaps I'll get better sound quality, and the tape heads will be a lot less worn.

Well actually no. When I tied this device I thought the audio sounded cheap and tinny, so I have gone back to using my old boom box.

I suppose in the end you get what you pay for. This is a cheap device, that does do the job. But if you are trying to get the best possible sound quality out of your recordings, then this is not a very good device to use.

JUSTOP Android 4.2 8GB TV Box 'Droibox One' HD Network Media Player / Streamer, Dual Core Smart Internet TV Set Box, Built-in WIFI Support HDMI Flash 11 , Skype , Youtube , uPNP Play---Great for Watching HD Movies, Youtube Videos, Surfing Internet, Online TV, Android Game, 2 x USB Ports, Comes With Remote Control, HDMI Cable, UK Adapter
Offered by DigiDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 1 Feb 2013
I bought this media server mostly to watch video from my MythTV system via upnp, and I thought IPlayer would also be useful. I was not looking for HD, as all my TVs are standard definition. But it seems that all media players these days claim HD, and this box was no exception.

My first problem was that it arrived with virtually no instructions on how to use it. It is basically just a box with an Android operating system, and you have to figure out which applications you need and how to install them. Having never used Android before, it took me many hours of internet searching to figure out how to get this device to do anything useful.

Now I have it working, but the results are disappointing.

My main annoyance, is that I find the audio and video are noticeably out of sync. and this seems to get worse as playback continues. On a device that claims to provide HD playback, I was expecting good quality, and out of sync. playback, is not something I regard as good quality.

Also I found that with my TV connected to the AV output connection, the audio seems to be too quiet. Also there is a fair bit of background interference, so with some videos it is actually difficult to hear what is going on.

Another annoyance is that whenever I switch it on, it seems to default to NTSC, so I have to keep changing it to PAL.

I would also point out that being an Android operating system, most of the applications available are geared towards use on mobile phones, and often have features that are not really appropriate to a full sized TV screen.

All in all. This device can do a lot of things, if you have the time to work out how to use it. But in the end, as far as I can see, the quality just isn't there. So I'm still on the look out for a media player, this box just doesn't work well enough for my needs.

Citronic AC-1USB AUDIO Capture Device
Citronic AC-1USB AUDIO Capture Device
Offered by Consoletronic Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Problems on Windows 7, but works well on XP., 30 Jan 2013
I used to record audio using an old computer, which had a reasonable sound card, but since that computer broke down I wanted to find an alternative solution. Since the sound card on my laptop does not provide good audio quality I decided to give this device a try.

First of all I tried using my reasonably new Windows 7 Laptop.
The device seemed to install OK, but setting the preferences in the Audacity software, it was listed as a USB microphone, not as a USB Audio Codec, as the instructions said it would be. Then when recording I could not get stereo. All I got was that left channel only, recorded to both channels. Searching the web, it seems that Audacity behaves this way when connected to a mono device. So I think this is probably a Windows 7 driver issue.

I also have a much older Windows XP laptop, so I decided to try it out on this computer instead. Under XP everything loaded correctly. It took me quite a while to get used to the Audacity software, but I suppose that is to be expected, as I had not used Audacity before.

I'm now using this device on my old XP laptop, and it is working well. I never bothered to find a solution to the Windows 7 issue. Sound quality is great.

Just a couple of relatively minor issues.

1: I can not use my computer speakers to monitor the recording. Apparently this is a Windows issue.

2: When using the audio output connection on this device to monitor the recording, there is initially no output. But I discovered that if I move the volume control in Audacity, this audio output suddenly starts working. This seems to be a bug, which can be a bit of an inconvenience.

Brother DCP-J125 Compact A4 Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with Media Card Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars It works with Linux, 4 Oct 2012
I was ideally looking for a printer that could connect directly to my network, but wifi would not have been much use. I get too much interference from my neighbours wifi networks, making my wifi rather unreliable. It's a shame they don't seem to provide a printer with a simple wired network connection.

Then I had the idea of getting a USB printer and running it via my server. The complication was that my server is running Linux (Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop edition). Fortunately the Brother web site has a Linux section, with drivers and instructions.

At first I had a problem trying to download the drivers, but about an hour later the download suddenly worked. So perhaps that was just a temporary problem on one of Brothers servers.

I downloaded and installed the CUPS and LPR drivers, as explained on the Brother web site. This may be difficult for somebody who is not computer literate, but for anyone reasonably computer literate it is fairly easy. It involved typing in a few commands into a terminal window. I used sudo before each command so that I didn't need to log in as root. The printer then worked first time when printing from my server.

Next I configured Samba to share the printer over my network. This involved editing the samba configuration file, and then restarting the samba server. It took me 2-3 attempts to get this part right, but it worked in the end.

Next I set up my Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops to print to this printer over my network. This was quite easy under Windows 7, I just used AddPrinter, browsed for the printer on the network, and then browser for the Windows 7 drivers, which I also downloaded from the Brother Web site. My Windows 7 Laptop then printed a test page on my first attempt. Windows XP was more of a problem, for some reason it couldn't find the printer on the network. After some web searching I find some instructions to find the URL of the printer, and then enter that into Windows XP. That solved the problem.

Finally I set up the scanner. I decided not to try and share the scanner over the network, instead I set it up to scan using my server, using Simple Scan or XSane (there are also other scanning programs that would probably work). Setting up the scanner on Linux was a bit more complicated. It did not seem very clear which drivers needed to be installed. I decided to install the brscan and brscan-key drivers. This apparently made the scanner available but only to the root user. A link to another page on the Brother web site described how to edit a configuration fire to make it available to all uses. It was basically a matter of adding an extra line to a configuration file, and then restarting the computer. I didn't understand the reason for this, but it did work. I can now scan using both Simple Scan and XSane.

That was the setup. As for using the printer, I've only had one brief problem so far. The other day the printer said it can't load any paper. After a few attempts I decided to slightly loosen one of the green sliders holding the paper in place, and then made sure the paper tray was firmly pushed in. This seemed to solve the problem.

Technisat HDFV Terrestrial HD-Freeview Receiver
Technisat HDFV Terrestrial HD-Freeview Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not like it when the signal is too strong., 21 April 2012
This Freeview box was easy to install, but then when I started flicking through the channels, it completely froze. After unplugging the power to get it working again, it froze again.

However I had already previously discovered that the signal I was getting after digital switchover was too strong, as another receiver I was using was reporting poor signal quality.

I tried connecting this Technisat receiver to a much smaller aerial, and that fixed the freezing problem. I now have an attenuator, to fix my over strong signal problems, and this receiver is now working happily. I am however a little dubious about the fact that this receiver locks up just because the signal is too strong.

I haven't yet got around to trying the additional features, the PVR and the Upnp playback, but as a Freeview receiver it works well (provided the signal is not too strong).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 1:42 PM BST

High Quality Metal Shielded TV Attenuator for TV aerials antennas (Variable attenuator from 1db to 20db) works with Freeview TV (Signal Reducer / blocks digital signals from distant TV transitters causing problems to your local TV signals, or where your digital Freeview TV gets "confused") & Greatly reduces interference caused by excessive signal strength - Made for Digital Technology*
Offered by Tech Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Did exactly what it was supposed to., 21 April 2012
After digital switchover, I had a problem. The new high power digital signals were too strong. The signal quality on my PVR went bad, and a new Freeview box I had bought kept freezing.

I ordered this attenuator because it was variable, and it looked like it was good quality. I connected it between my aerial and my PVR, and it then took me all of 2 minutes to adjust the signal strength to the ideal level.

My new Freeview box now also works perfectly. This simple device fixed my problems.

Linksys WAP610N Wireless-N Access Point with Dual-Band
Linksys WAP610N Wireless-N Access Point with Dual-Band
Offered by C-GEAR

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit difficult to set up., 8 Mar 2012
I bought this access point, so that I could use Wireless N in the 5Ghz Band.
The instruction provided basically told me to use the setup program on the CD provided.
So that is what I did, and it set it up as a 2.4 Ghz access point, and there were no options to select 5Ghz.
This seems a bit daft, as who buys dual band wireless, to use on 2.4 Ghz?

A bit of time reading the guide on the CD, and I found that there were advanced configuration setting available if I connect via a web browser. So basically I didn't need to use the setup program, I could have just used a web browser in the 1st place.
I then had to figure out how to change it from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz. It turns out it can only do one or the other.

All in all it took me about an hour to get Wireless N running on 5Ghz. It seems to work OK. but I think the instructions could have been clearer, and the set up program should have allowed me to select the 5Ghz band.

Intel Centrino Advanced - N 6200 - Wi-Fi Adapter MiniPCI Express 2.4/5 GHz 300 Mbps Half Mini Card Tray
Offered by am24okbuy 15-25 working days shipping

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Windows 7, 5 Jan 2012
I bought this card for my new Sony Vaio Laptop, as I get too much interference on 2.4 Ghz, and so need to use 5Ghz wireless.
It also supports mode N, at speeds of up to 300 Mb/s which would been nice, if I could get it to work at that speed.

I installed the card in my new Laptop, and when I started up Windows 7 could not find a suitable driver.
There was no documentation or drivers supplied with the card, so I then had to start searching the internet for a solution.

On the Intel site I didn't see anything that looked like a driver, but did find various software for the card, so I downloaded what I think was the newest most appropriate version. When installing there were options, and I discovered that I could choose to simply install the drivers. The rest of the software was not necessary, all it did was to allow other computers to connect to mine directly via my wireless card. Perhaps that is a useful feature, or perhaps it is a security hole. I decided not to install it and just install the drivers.

Windows 7 now recognized my new wireless card, but could not see my 5Ghz signal, I could only see 2.4 Ghz signals.

I looked through the device driver settings, and found that the card was set to use only modes B & G.
Strangely among the options there seems to be no choice for mode N, that seems to be handled by separate settings. There was a setting for modes A B and G, which I selected, and then I was able to see my 5Ghz signal.

I thought great now it works, until checked the connection status. It was connected at only 54Mb/s. So I must be connected using mode A, not using mode N. More web searching and more trying different settings, and I still get only 54Mb/s. Perhaps there is some incomparability with the Mode N on my Netgear router. It's hard to say with no helpful documentation.

Well the card works, and I get a solid reliable connection using a 5Ghz signal. But it is not as good as I'd hoped, as I still can't get mode N to work, and installation was harder than it ought to have been, and there was no documentation.

Page: 1 | 2