Profile for Figaro2007 > Reviews

Figaro2007

The Humans
The Humans

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent ! I loved it !, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
What a refreshing book ! Funny and touching, caustic and philosophical, a book for every human that will remind them some basic principles that many of us may have forgotten... To read absolutely just for the pleasure of getting a smile on your face

A Time To Kill
A Time To Kill

5.0 out of 5 stars what a book !, 23 July 2014
This review is from: A Time To Kill (Kindle Edition)
I think I read The Firm a long time ago and I can't remember exactly the story. I was looking for a new book and i found this one. It is apparently the very first boom of John Grisham who sold at a few thousand copies only when it was first published. However John Grisham himself considers this book as his best and after reading it, I understand why ! You will cry of pain, you will cry of joy, you will laugh, you will fear for them but John Grisham takes you into a wonderful ride. My advice: read it !

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic !, 23 Mar 2014
What a book ! One of the best I've ever read. Like everyone, I tend to admire surgeons for their capacities. Henry Marsh is right when he says that we, simple patients, see them as Gods and beacons of hope. However, this book tells you the human part of the God. His doubts, his fears, his joys and his pains. Reading this book, I smiled, I cried, I cringed my teeth but it made feel good. I don't know Mr Marsh and I sincerely hope I won't have to arrange a meeting with him but I'm in awe of the man.

7 Days
7 Days

4.0 out of 5 stars very pleasant, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: 7 Days (Kindle Edition)
Very pleasant book. The plot is well done and convincing. You're taken by the story and you want to know the end. The characters are well described and you can only sympathise and feel with them

Friends In High Places: (Brunetti 9)
Friends In High Places: (Brunetti 9)

1.0 out of 5 stars really nothing oustanding, 16 Jun 2013
I read plenty of articles on how great the novels by donna leon were, we just back from Venice and I thought it would send me back with words but none of the above occured. The story is rather dull, there is no suspens, no action, the end is disappointing and the description of Venice did not remind me of the magic of the place.

What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye
What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have, 22 May 2013
I knew about some toilets upside down qualified as Duchamp's masterpiece but never thought i could agree before reading this book. A must read

Hamlet (French Edition)
Hamlet (French Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, i had to read it in French, 5 Nov 2012
I would love to be able to read it in English and understand all the subtleties of the play, unfortunately, i can't and i had to read it In my mother tongue to get a good idea of the synopsps before reading it modern English and finally try reading parts of it in the original text.

The Ginger Man
The Ginger Man
by J. P. Donleavy

2.0 out of 5 stars Much ado about nothing..., 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Ginger Man (Paperback)
I have trouble understanding why so many people and critics call this book a masterpiece. Perhaps because I'm French and that I didn't fully get all the subtlety of the English -especially the references to Joyce- but except a kind of tenderness and pity you can feel for the otherwise despicable main character, Sebastien Dangerfield, I don't see much about this book.