Profile for activate > Reviews

Content by activate

activate

Page: 1 | 2
Crazy Creatures (Reality Check)
Crazy Creatures (Reality Check)
by Gill Arbuthnott

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for young readers, 18 Aug 2014
This book really interested my grandson who is not an enthusiastic reader

Detective's Handbook (Usborne Guidebooks)
Detective's Handbook (Usborne Guidebooks)
by Colin King
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 10 Dec 2012
What an excellent book and value for money. I initially purchased it for my grandson as part of his Christmas present, when it arrive I found it so good that I ordered another for my grandaughter in the US. I am confident that they will enjoy the books and get lots of enjoyment over the coming months. It is presented almost as a game so their brothers & sisters s can join in as well as the parents.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium Trilogy Book 3)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium Trilogy Book 3)
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 19 April 2012
If you like crime and intrigue then you will like this one, however I must warn you that it is a bit nasty in parts plus it has probably too much gratuitous sex. I have read all the books in the series and this one doesn't disappoint, I could be so bold as to say I thought it the best, but not by much.
To really understand the main characters it is best to read all the books in the series, starting with 'the girl with the dragon tattoo'

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
by Deborah Moggach

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 17 April 2012
Having seen the film, which my wife thoroughly enjoyed I purchased this book to give to my 90 year old mother in law. My wife read it and decided that she would not get the enjoyment from the book. Usually it is the film that fails to live up to a books expectations this case it is the reverse.

A Street Through Time: A 12,000-year Journey Along the Same Street
A Street Through Time: A 12,000-year Journey Along the Same Street
by Anne Millard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit disappointed, 20 Jan 2012
I purchased this book on recommendation for my grandsons. It is excellent in presenting how streets were and how have developed. It is good in encouraging children to search for items / events. The illustrations / pictures are extremely detailed and well presented. However despite the book being large (OK to handle)the pictures are so detailed and consequently small that they are a bit off putting for young children aged (5 & 7).

Illustrated Dickens (Usborne Illustrated Classics)
Illustrated Dickens (Usborne Illustrated Classics)
by Charles Dickens

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 6 Dec 2011
Having purchased a number of Usborne books previously and were extremely pleased with them. I purchased this book for my grandaughters in the USA for their parents to read to them. However I decided not to send it as I was some what disappointed with it, primarily because of its size. Though as ever with Usborne books for children it was well presented and a good read it could have done with it being a little larger. If this had been achieved then it would have been more suitable for their age group (6 & 8).

Parting Shots
Parting Shots
by Matthew Parris

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Parting Shots (Paperback)
Interesting but was not one of his better reads. Would I recommend it? probably but not with great enthusiasm and only to a person who would be interested in the topic/s covered.

Ladybird Histories: British History (Ladybird Book)
Ladybird Histories: British History (Ladybird Book)
by Tim Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the age group, 12 Sep 2011
I purchased this for my grandson who is just 7 years.
The book was well presented and illustrated just right for his age group

Choose Your Weapons: The British Foreign Secretary
Choose Your Weapons: The British Foreign Secretary
by The Rt Hon Lord Douglas Hurd of Westwell CH CBE PC

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative, 12 Sep 2011
I purchased for my son who is an economist and has an interest in history. He found it both interesting and enjoyable. It was a very good read, but as it covered such a long period it did not go into any great depth.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent service, 24 Feb 2011
I ordered a taekwondo suit for my grandson who is 6 years old, when it arrived it was far too large. I contacted the company who told me to return the item and they would replace it with a smaller one. I did this and the replacement suit arrived promptly.
The item is of good quality and represents good value for money

Page: 1 | 2