Profile for Tivadar Mach > Reviews

Content by Tivadar Mach

Tivadar Mach "mivadar" (Bremen, Germany)

Page: 1 | 2
Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Offered by Tek-365

5.0 out of 5 stars how rechargeables should be, 26 Jan 2011
Simply the best rechargeable batteries I have ever used.
Two main positive points:
1. (more important for me) They can sustain high current drains over long periods of time. When it says 800 mAh, it actually means 800 mAh, even at 500 mA draining - it will run until it's flat. (Using its AA cousin, I have a camera that drains so much current and is so finicky about voltage, that it won't run 5 minutes with any other batteries - alkaline batteries can't bear the load, NiMH batteries drop below 1.4 V within seconds because of the load.)
2. It retains charge for weeks as opposed to days with normal NiMH batteries. I regularly used these in low-drain devices for months without problems.

Overall, in most applications I found them to be more lasting than other rechargeable batteries with 2x the nominal capacity.

Tiffany Stained Glass Windows: 24 Ready-to-Mail Full-Colour Postcards (Card Books)
by Alastair Duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars postcards - "ready to send" slight exaggeration, 30 Jan 2010
The depicted Tiffany windows are nice - the patterns interesting, it is a good collection of Tiffany art.

On the down side, as actual usable postcards they could be a bit better done.
The illumination and printing on some of the cards is not perfect. The card stock is rather thin for postcards (reminiscent of late 1960's glossy cards), the images are not at all centered in their black frames giving the cards a slightly "off" look, and as this is actually a book with the cards separable by tearing along perforation, the cards end up with perforated/jagged edges.

I actually want to use the cards as cards (as opposed to a coffee table book of some sort) - and to get the edges visually pleasing (both straight and symmetric around the image) needs a good quality paper trimmer.

Overall I was reasonably pleased with the book, and I am using the cards - but "ready to send cards" is a slight exaggeration.

Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007 2007
Encyclopaedia Britannica 2007 2007
by Encyclopaedia Britannica

5.0 out of 5 stars grew up on it, 16 July 2009
What can I say - it is the ultimate reference.
Beside looking up specific things it takes You on journeys just by opening it on a random point (which I did a lot when growing up, albeit with a much older version).

When I actually manage to settle in one place for long enough that I won't have to worry about hauling the bookshelf-load with me, I will definitely get the (then current) version of the "real" hard-back rather than a CD ...

The Neverending Story: The Animated Adventures [DVD]
The Neverending Story: The Animated Adventures [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic Zamprogna

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it the movie?, 20 May 2008
I am rating The Neverending Story ("Die Unendliche Geschichte") film with an easy 5 starts.

One thing I don't know though is whether this DVD is the actual movie or the animated series (which exists, though few people are aware of it - released in 1996).
From the previous reviews I gathered it is the movie (released in 1984) - but from the description it seems quite clear that it is the animation.

The animated series is not particularly terrible, but also not brilliant - definitely doesn't come anywhere close to the original film. It's directed towards a much younger audience than the film, and while it is OK to watch with kids on TV (if it's ever shown), I wouldn't really buy a DVD.

If someone could confirm which one this item is, I might actually order it :-).

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering (3rd edition): A Comprehensive Guide
by K. F. Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars best maths textbook for physicists, 22 Mar 2007
This book is simply the best. It is lightyears better than Boas (the most often suggested alternative), and it basically contains all the maths You'll ever need in all but the most theoretical undergraduate course of any natural science (well, except maths, if that's a science ;-) ).

In fact, now slowly finishing my PhD in physics, I think I can say that unless You are doing actual theoretical/mathematical physics, it probably contains all or most of the maths You'll need for the rest of Your life.

The Physics Companion
The Physics Companion
by Anthony C. Fischer-Cripps

3.0 out of 5 stars good summary - and only that, 16 Nov 2005
This review is from: The Physics Companion (Paperback)
I found the book to be a good summary, however I am unsure at which level. For an undergraduate study aid I found the level too low, for pre-university only right for a very good student.
Overall I would recommend it to people who are well past their physics degree, and completely forgotten some aspects of physics (having specialised in others or having moved out of the field), but after some minimal prompting will remember the drift again.

The Butterfly Tattoo
The Butterfly Tattoo
by Philip Pullman

4.0 out of 5 stars good book - visibly one of his earlies, 16 Nov 2005
This review is from: The Butterfly Tattoo (Paperback)
I don't understand what anyone's problem is with this not being a children's book - Pullmann is a great writer, and I believe he writes what comes to him, whatever the audience. I hate labelling authors as "children" or "adult", and I don't recall big red letters on the cover saying "for under 10 only".
In any case, the book is good, not a lasting masterwork of fiction, for that the end is somewhat unpolished - but I should note that that is only in comparison with his brilliant later work. It is definitely worth reading.

200 Puzzling Physics Problems: With Hints and Solutions
200 Puzzling Physics Problems: With Hints and Solutions
by P. Gnädig

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book of problems, 16 Feb 2005
I would recommend this book for very good secondary school students preparing for physics competitions or interested in physics, and undergraduates who are starting to forget why physics is fun after the barrage of (more) boring problems they are faced with.
The Hungarian authors are the trainers of the Hungarian international physics olympiad team, they are very good, and very imaginative. Riley is of "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" fame, no more comments needed.
Overall, enjoyable problems and great physics.

The Smile of Lies: Poems of Belarus and Elsewhere
The Smile of Lies: Poems of Belarus and Elsewhere
by Brian W. Blackwell

4.0 out of 5 stars nice poetry, 27 May 2003
This is a compedium of some nice ex-USSR poetry. Most are Belarusan, some of nearby countries.
They reflect wonderfully some of the more modern feeling in the country. If You know the western USSR well, You will recognise it. If You don't know it well, You can get a feeling, though I don't know how much You will feel and emphasise.
The poems are very difficult to find elsewhere.

Generation
Generation
by Viktor Pelevin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work from one of the best current Russian writers, 5 May 2003
This review is from: Generation (Paperback)
This book is known as "Generation P" (for Generation Pepsi) in all other languages. I am surprised it hasn't been translated like that to English.
Peleving said
"The old regime is gone, but the new has yet to take hold. The gap in between is all we've got. We no longer know where we came from, or where we're going."
This novel is about an advertiser, who tries to create ad slogans for US products at a time when there is no Russian production, experiencing the whole new world and regime in the meantime.
It is a wonderful, somewhat surrealist book, reflecting the time feeling in Russia at the time of the dissolution of the Soviety Union.

Page: 1 | 2