Profile for lust_and_lunacy > Reviews

Dresden Dolls [Us Import]
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 7.21

5.0 out of 5 stars addictively talented..., 7 May 2006
I bought this album about 6 weeks ago after getting back into the dresden dolls and deciding it was about time I bought one of their albums to celebrate. I have to say, this album is one of the best investments I have ever made...the lyrics are witty and catching, the music is infectious and Amanda's voice has so much power it makes you wanna get up and dance! My favourite tracks off the album are Good Day, Girl Anachronism and Jeep Song. There's a huge mix of emotions and music on this album, from the dynamic and empowering Good Day, to the slow and solemn Perfect Fit. The Dresden Dolls are one of the most unique bands on the market today, offering punk cabaret that is both heartfelt and catchy. This album is pure genius, just buy it...you won't regret it!

Sugar Rush: Series 1 [DVD] [2005]
Sugar Rush: Series 1 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Olivia Hallinan
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars sugar rush..it's addictive, 3 May 2006
I purchased this off amazon a while ago having seen bits of the series on TV and deciding that I needed some DVD's to entertain me for a while. This now sits firmly as one of the best DVD's I've ever bought. The series is funny, heartwrenching and just amazing to watch. Captured through the eyes of Kim, a self-proclaimed '15 year old queer virgin' lusting over her best friend, the elusive and outrageous Sugar, this series shows Kim's desperate attempts to get together with Sugar whilst dealing with her less than normal life. With an unorthodox family consisting of her whorish mother, househusband dad and freaky, alien-obsessed brother, things at home aren't exactly easy. The series has something for every teenager, and adult for that matter, as it touches on matters of the heart, domestic problems, relationships and sexuality without getting too deep or depressing. I can't wait for the next series which is due this summer!

Sugar Rush: Music from the Channel 4 Series
Sugar Rush: Music from the Channel 4 Series
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars for all who loved the tv series..., 3 May 2006
The music used in sugar rush is fantastic, it perfects what is an amazing series. The music on here spans every emotion, and contains every genre to match. Songs like Today has been OK are more relaxed and perfect to just zone out to, but there are more upbeat tracks to satisfy every need. The one reason I can't give this 5 stars? It's missing what I consider to be the most relevant track of the entire series. It's the one played very often towards the end of the series, including the scene after Kim and Sugar have just slept together. The track is called Castaway by Barrie Gledden, the downside is it hasn't been released yet so if you want it you'll have to go to the artist and ask for a copy of it to be sent to you via email. Apart from this, the soundtrack is amazing and definetely comes recommended by me and other sugar rush addicts!

The Dresden Dolls
The Dresden Dolls
Offered by trec002
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars dresden dolls..the ultimate gothic cabaret, 20 April 2006
This review is from: The Dresden Dolls (Audio CD)
I first listened to the dresden dolls after being told about the song 'bad habit.' It's lyrics are extroverted, talking about self destruction in a more direct and yet strangely enchanting way than any other of their predecessors. After hearing this track, I went ahead and bought the whole album. SERIOUSLY, THIS ALBUM ROCKS! The songs are so different from anything else out there, with lyrics talking about painful subjects and going below the surface without driving listeners away with sob-stories and cliche old lines. My favourite tracks have to be 'girl anachronism', 'good day' and 'missed me', althought it's hard to choose with an album so full of gems. The dresden dolls have an appeal that no other artist seems to have; being honest, extroverted and ballsy without being arrogant, self centred or obnoxious. Just buy this album, it's a great piece of genuinely 'alternative' music that caters to so many different genres, there's bound to be something on here for you.

Affirmation
Affirmation
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.51

5.0 out of 5 stars affirmation, 13 April 2006
This review is from: Affirmation (Audio CD)
This CD has been in my collection for years, but over the last 2 years it has become something of a classic to me. It's pop, pure and simple, but the lyrics and Darren's vocals make it stand out amidst the chaos of the pop world today. Classic tracks for me include the heartwrenching 'two beds and a coffee machine' and 'I don't know you anymore' amongst others like 'Lover after me' and 'the animal song.' This is something that can be enjoyed by people who listen to all genres, the lyrics are heartfelt and honesty drips from every song. Overall, this is a great album, one you'll continue to listen to over the years.

Grab That Gun
Grab That Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars grab that gun, 14 Mar 2006
This review is from: Grab That Gun (Audio CD)
I first heard of the organ last December in an issue of Rocksound. Their first release, 'memorize the city', was described as a little known gem of 2005 and that this band would surely flourish in 2006. I decided to download the song, see if they lived up to this hype. From the very first listen, you can tell the organ have something new to offer the music industry. Their sound is like a sharper, more defined look on 80's rock, the end result being a mix between the cure and the yeah yeah yeah's. 'Memorize the city' has some amazing lyrics, and a great sound to match. My other favourite song is 'Brother', and although the songs have a familiar pang to them, they all differ enough to keep you interested. It's worth a listen, and I have a feeling these guys will be big in 2006.

Take This to Your Grave
Take This to Your Grave
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames
Price: 8.83

5.0 out of 5 stars fall out boy forever, 18 Feb 2006
This review is from: Take This to Your Grave (Audio CD)
I bought this album a while ago but hadn't really spent a lot of time listening to it until recently. I have to say, this is one of the most catchy albums out there, but the difference with FOB is you don't feel like it's a crime to hum along with the songs. The lyrics make sense, the beat is awesome and it's just music you can dance to. My favourite songs are 'saturday', 'sending postcards from a plane crash' and the uberly fun 'grand theft autumn/where is your boy'. I know everyone adores them for under the cork tree, but in my opinion this is a far superior album with a lot of moments on that seem to be overshadowed by the catchiness of 'sugar we're going down.' If you like the music catchy, the lyrics slightly emo and the singing rather girly, then this is for you...you know you want it!

Meds
Meds
Offered by westworld-
Price: 8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars a work of sheer genius, 12 Feb 2006
This review is from: Meds (Audio CD)
I have been a devoted Placebo fan for a few years and, after listening to Meds, must agree that it is their strongest album to date. It was recorded in the space of just a few months and has taken Molko and co back to the days when they first started making music that would go down in history. Just by listening to 'Because I want you' and 'Song to say goodbye' you can tell this is an album of epic proportions that deserves all the hype it's been gathering amongst fans and the media alike. For all those who like their music raw, passionate, diverse and always stunning, MEDS is the epitomy of musical perfection. Brian, Stefan and Steve...congratulations!!

Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived
Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived
by Maria Housden
Price: 7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannah's gift...the story of a wonderous little girl, 21 Jan 2006
I found this book in a hotel library whilst in Ibiza last summer and decided to give it a go. I spent 3 hours reading this, and I swear my pillow was soaked with tears by the end of it. The story of Hannah, a 3-year-old cancer patient, is so painful yet is a story of hope and overcoming death by accepting its existance. The book is separated into five different sections: truth, joy, faith, compassion and wonder, all told through the eyes of Hannah's mother Maria. This story is one that will keep you crying and smiling up to the last page, especially when you read about the red Mary Janes! Overall, I think everyone should read this and rediscover their love of life and a new outlook on what it means to live life to its fullest.

Crosses
Crosses
by Shelley Stoehr
Price: 9.16

5.0 out of 5 stars no hype, no pretense...just an amazing story, 21 Jan 2006
This review is from: Crosses (Paperback)
This book was one I discovered a few years ago and fell in love with. I had read 'cut' at the time and found it to be a little off the subject of self harm, so decided to try reading crosses. It is a far superior book, mentioning cutting and self harm beyond the first 10 pages, which is something cut failed to do. The characters are eccentric, out of control and overall hell raisers, but you can't help but feel captured by the manner with which they conduct such acts. I am a self harmer and this story offered something different; it put self harm in the context of a normal, unashamed teenager, rather than in the situation of being institutionalized for it. It showed self harm as something anyone out there can be guilty of, not just the people who are hospitalised for their behaviour. This book is one that will stay with me throughout my recovery from self harm and provides a great read!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5