Profile for A Female Reader > Reviews

Lion Push Along
Lion Push Along
Offered by Layla's Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Little Lion!, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Lion Push Along (Toy)
I have always been a fan of buying wooden toys for my son over plastic and other materials, and this is a beautiful little item which is wonderfully rainbow painted with felt for ears and a mane. I haven't had any problems with the stick coming away, as another reviewer mentioned, but if the screw fixture did come loose I am sure some wood glue would do the trick. My 15 month old son loves this, and the beads that go round when the wheels move make a satisfying not-too-loud clacking sound. Would buy this for my friends children in the future.

Tidlo Touch and Feel Shape Matching Wooden Bugs
Tidlo Touch and Feel Shape Matching Wooden Bugs

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal first jigsaw for age 1+, 30 Mar. 2011
A lovely, traditional, safe wooden jigsaw in bright colours and with added 'touchy feely' bits to each insect. Item is durable and will last and last, even the box is thicker than some which is an added bonus. Very happy with this purchase, as is my young son! Would buy as a present for friend's children age 1 plus, you can't go wrong!

Alphabet (Flash Kids Flash Cards)
Alphabet (Flash Kids Flash Cards)
by Flash Kids Editors
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect choice. Very impressed., 30 Mar. 2011
Very pleased with these cards when they arrived, and they have lived up to their expectations. Had several different brands of alphabet packs bookmarked to buy, and chose these because of the simple appearance, number of cards in the pack, price and good reviews.

Would definately recommend to friends who have young children- they are a good size (in my opinion) being 13 and a half cm by 8 and a half cm. The colours are vibrant and attractive, easily drawing attention, and most importantly the letters are clear and large.

Each card is double sided, and there are three sets of cards. One features an upper case letter on one side and a picture on the other(A and an apple), one a lower case letter with the same picture example, and finally the picture presented on one side with the spelling of that word in lower case on the other side. Great for continuity and matching games etc.

I personally bought these cards for my 1 year old as an introduction to simple lettering and examples of basic words, and I do think they are sturdy enough and could withstand a lot of play. The packet states ages 4 and up, and if giving to that age group there whould be little issue of bending, tearing or chewing!

I loved the fact that at the end of the pack there are also 6 colour cards with a block of colour on one side, and on the other the spelling of that colour, which I found an attractive addition. The colours are red, yellow, green, orange, purple and blue.

If only they had added in a pink one for good measure and it would have been an excellent accompanyment when teaching colours and singing the 'rainbow' song!

I can't, however, mark the product down for this as they are plainly alphabet cards and do the job well. I would also buy other cards from the 'flashkids' range in future, as they too look brilliant, but it would help if there was a little better product description for each packet, and this is partly why I have written so much!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 9:14 PM BST

Mr. Men Mr. Men Pocket Library
Mr. Men Mr. Men Pocket Library
by Roger Hargreaves
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars Pictures? Yes. Story? Barely., 25 Mar. 2011
It was the fact that these little books came as board books that swayed the purchase for me. I did, however, not realise that these are just barely stories- all the books could have done with 3 or so more pages in order to say a bit more. There are only a few words on each page but more importantly the books end rather abruptly, even for a baby's story! The pictures are beautiful of course, and the whole thing is friendlier for baby being cardboard, but I will be buying the bigger, paperback versions from now on which are great and have more content. Not really worth much unless only wanting a minimum introduction to mr men. It is a shame that more slightly longer 'complete' stories couldn't be done in a board book format.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 10:52 AM GMT

Silicone Toothbrush White
Silicone Toothbrush White

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal First Toothbrush, 19 Mar. 2011
This is an ideal first toothbrush for baby, as it is soft yet durable and cleans easily afterward. My baby allows me to brush his teeth quite happily as he seems to even enjoy the sensation, but he can also have a good go himself without me worrying, as the special guard is fantastic. A perfect way to bridge the gap to their first 'proper' toothbrush when older. Will be recommending to all my friends with babies. Ten out of ten!

Halilit Rainbospinner Musical Instrument
Halilit Rainbospinner Musical Instrument

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 18 Mar. 2011
My son has just turned one and he loves this toy. He uses it as a rattle as well as turning it over and peering in to watch the rainbow coloured beads rattle down and go round and round. It reminds me of those large 'rain sticks' they used to have in Primary School which were very popular, and the sound of the beads falling is soothing and not grating when repeated as some rattles tend to be! I only wish I had bought a bigger one so that it went on for longer. Very appealing.

Anywayup CLASSIC CUP 6 months + (color may vary)
Anywayup CLASSIC CUP 6 months + (color may vary)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to use., 3 Mar. 2011
I was attracted to this product because of its non-spill claims. These are true, this cup never ever spills or drips, but I am in agreement with other reviewers in to say that the lid is extremely hard to remove each time. If you are careful (or atleast prepare to get wet!!) then this isn't too much of an issue, only my son is almost a year and he cannot drink from the spout because the valve is very stiff.
Even my husband has tried to drink out of it to prove the theory as to why our son never managed to drink properly, and sure enough he too said that it was incredibly hard to remove the liquid from the cup. We will probably use this either when baby can hold the cup entirely without using the lid, or when he is much older and we are travelling etc. I have also found that the spout itself is very large for a baby's mouth, it seems an almost un-natural position to have to drink in. We currently use the Tommee Tippee First Cup which baby gets on with much better, but this does drip when tilted the wrong way up.

I'M Toys 02033 Snap Clap Doggy Assorted Colours
I'M Toys 02033 Snap Clap Doggy Assorted Colours
Offered by Baba Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely traditional simple toy, 30 Jan. 2011
I bought this for my baby son because it looked so appealing and I love traditional wooden toys. He was attracted to it from the moment he saw it, and initially used it as a chew toy and something to swat things with! Now at 10 months he can happily make a good clacking sound although I do feel that he would have been able to do this a lot earlier if the toy wasn't so stiff. It does seem to be tied together rather tightly, but this is probably a good thing, and the whole contraption is very durable. Would recommend.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable slipper- ever!, 10 Jan. 2011
These are well worth the money any way you look at it. They are durable, hard soled and so sturdy, but also the most comfortable slipper I have ever come across. On top they are beautifully soft and have an expensive, smart look to them, and the insoles are cushioned and comfy. I would definately order from this particular company again, as the item arrived in such quick time and was well packed. Great.

Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks
Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks
Offered by Bargainmax Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money!, 27 Oct. 2010
I have a 7 month old son, and he loves this toy. Even though he has no idea how to sort shapes yet, we love using the shapes to build a tower, which he keenly crawls over to in order to knock it down.
He loves to empty the box himself, finding both the lid and blocks fun to bite and chew on!
Was initially not too happy about the lid being so easy to remove, (like other reviewers,) but for my son this just adds to the fun, and when he is old enough to use this toy correctly it shouldn't be a problem. You can still 'shape sort' using just the lid, putting the shapes in the correct holes without necessarily needing the whole thing if that leads to 'cheating'!
A fantastic cheap toy that will last for months to come.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5