Profile for A Female Reader > Reviews

Content by A Female Reader

A Female Reader

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Womdee(TM) Fashion Charming Beautiful Warm Beige Polka Dot Scarf Wrap Women Lady Girl Shawl-Wine Red With Womdee Accessory
Offered by Womdee
Price: 1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional item for under 2!, 10 May 2014
Wanted a few scarves to wear in the spring while the weather was still chilly and either drizzly or windy every other day. Purchased a couple from the shops near where I live and then tried my luck on Amazon. Was surprised to see such a selection for so cheap, and didn't think it'd be up to much as I placed an order, but gave it a go anyway. Well, after waiting a little under two weeks this arrived and it is very, very pretty. Smooth and silky, longer than I was expecting for the price, in fact much like the ones I have in my wardrobe for five times the price or more. Would definitely recommend, it does not look cheap in the slightest, rather the quality is fantastic for the price, the colour is rich, it feels like such a steal! I payed just under 2 for mine with delivery included. If you're not in a super hurry, or very organised indeed when it comes to buying little gifts for friends, I don't think this would disappoint. May even buy other designs in the future.. Five stars.

Cosy Village Cooking Play Food Set
Cosy Village Cooking Play Food Set
Offered by Concept4U (UK)
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful and more importantly seems less flimsy than some other brands., 7 Mar 2014
Bought this to go with my son's toy kitchen on his birthday. The item arrived quickly and was very good value indeed. It was for some reason extremely dusty, but nothing a good wipe couldn't fix. Colours are vibrant and food items fairly realistic. My only complaint is that it could have all been slightly bigger, particularly the proportions- sauce bottles being tiny compared to the chicken or fried egg, but no item is so small that it could be put in smaller children's mouths etc without noticing, so happy enough. Obviously my children are supervised while playing at all times, but the added security of not having tiny, or sharper plastic edges etc, means that you can relax more. Especially when a group are playing together and you have quite a few packs of pretend food in use and things are getting a little chaotic! Previous food sets we have been bought as presents have not been as good, but I feel I should say that if anyone is on the lookout for more realistic sizes of food like fruit and veg that is well coloured, I would recommend the 'Just Like Home' range of bagged plastic food available from the big children's toy store with the famous giraffe! All in all, this set is well worth getting for the money, a good variety of items, and the spatula provided is much more sturdy than the fake stainless steel one my son got with his original cooking hob. I can see there will be a lot of fighting for the chance to be 'head chef' when the birthday day arrives... Ah the makings of a good present..

Delightful Wooden Medieval Castle - Cleva Edition H8' Bundle
Delightful Wooden Medieval Castle - Cleva Edition H8' Bundle
Offered by Real value
Price: 174.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but quite dark and better suited to boys I think., 11 Feb 2014
My husband's father bought this for our boys aged 2 & 3 when we wanted a castle for their Christmas present and he gave us very little time to choose. It looked very impressive in the shop, with lots of interesting doors and features, (it does come with a battering ram & 'attackers ladder contraption' (there's a proper name which eludes me!) and was on sale at the time. My husband assembled it no problem, the wooden pieces just slot into place and it is an impressive size so no complaints there. It is pretty sturdy, but if moved can lose pieces due to it being a fit-together job. I am yet to decide whether or not just super-gluing the whole thing would be beneficial.. We also didn't notice that there were no figures included at the time, but that was easily rectified due to some adorable choices available on Amazon (my husband insisted we get the Le Toy Van Monk!) and thankfully Prime delivery! My children have played (always supervised) quite happily since- please note it recommends ages 3 & up- but I think if we were to make the choice again about buying a toy castle I would have picked something a bit brighter, maybe a little more cheery, particularly if your family is only young and expanding possibly to include girls.. The colour is a dark grey throughout, but this alone is not the problem. It is more that the design of the thing as a whole is that of an old gothic castle on the rocks by the ocean or something. There are painted harsh rocky scenes on the sides, a rather fierce looking knocker (lion or scull type?) on one of the entrances, two large no nonsense gargoyles on one side of the building (which we didn't see on inspecting just the box picture in the shop,) and lots of pop up fire and flames. The rickety bridge is very clever, and there is plenty of room for knights and figures to play, the size is compatible for most brands, but I would have preferred something more pleasantly traditional, a more stereotypical medieval castle on a hill, Robin Hood design, rather than such a dark dismal (Anyone remember He-man?) style, which thankfully my boys don't seem to notice. Take this review as you will, a house full of boys with an enthusiastic father may indeed love this, but from a mum's perspective if I were to choose again I would go for the Melissa & Doug folding medieval castle which I read opens up, and does look rather impressive, especially with such positive reviews on Amazon stating how sturdy it is, I would even use it in this case as a semi teaching tool when doing medieval castles at primary school, visiting places and going through Usborne castle books . Never mind . 3 out of 5 for this one.

BARBIE STARDOLL W2199 DOLL Stardoll by Barbie
BARBIE STARDOLL W2199 DOLL Stardoll by Barbie

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet., 28 Oct 2013
Bought this for a friend's little girl, and was very impressed with the detail. The eyelashes were even of fibres and not just drawn on like they used to be, which was a nice touch. Was received very well too. Got top marks for present buying... Can't be bad!

Olivia Europeana Olive tree - Small but mature with thick stem - ideal small gift
Offered by Cross Common Nursery
Price: 10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a pretty little tree, 13 Sep 2013
I was so impressed with this when it arrived. It is of note to say that I am in no way a gardener, so I always try to buy plants that are at least a little on their way so as to somehow prevent the chance of me accidentally killing them off, but this is such a beautiful little thing and it came already at a decent size, well packaged in a pot. I have chosen to re-pot it in a larger planter and sit it near my patio windows as opposed to putting it outside, they say when this plant is young it is best to spend the first couple of winters indoors, but this is just according to my brief reading online. Either way I feel it is too attractive a plant to simply hand over to the gardener to be planted amongst the masses outside, so I am going to keep it indoors until it either grows or fails on me! I shall be asking advice on this one though, because I have always wanted an olive tree and it has received many compliments so far. I think it would make the most excellent gift, much better than a standard bunch of flowers, chocolates, or get well present etc. Very happy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2014 9:46 PM BST

Giant Roadway Playmat (150x100cm) - a fun addition for the bedroom, playroom, nursery or class room!
Offered by Be-Active
Price: 34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for children...(and for parents!!!), 21 Aug 2013
We are a household of boys and this went down a real treat. It is made of a durable yet flexible material that is non-slip and much better than what I had in mind for the price. I can see this really lasting long term. It is not too big and not to small, perfect for the front room or play area, two or three children could easily play with toy cars on it without getting in each others way and its thin enough to fit under a door if placed near a doorway, but not too thin so as to feel cheap and cold. The detail is fantastic, I chose this mat particularly because of the detail it offered when I scoured various pictures offered on Amazon, but was pleasantly surprised even still, when we unwrapped this in the flesh. It has your usual school, hospital, fire station, post-office etc which is perfect for using all those model vehicles that little ones have, but there's also post-boxes, phone boxes, bins and street lights intermitently placed round the town which made me smile, and people crossing on zebra crossings, trimming their lawn, walking the dog and so on, that I think adds so much to the whole product. It's the little things, right? I almost got on my hands and knees too! The whole thing inspires such imagination. Very happy indeed, would certainly recommend, and to top it off delivery was spot on too!

Xti Women's 25784 Black Decorative XTI20230010707 7 UK
Xti Women's 25784 Black Decorative XTI20230010707 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely feminine shoes., 21 Aug 2013
I was very impressed with these so I had to give them five stars even though I am returning them after they arrived today. They arrived swiftly via courier and were neatly packed and padded in their box, packaged well. The actual shoes are extremely pretty, I ordered the black, and the material is like a suede finish and formal looking, so i think they would go perfectly with black trousers or smarter jeans etc.

The reason I have to return these is because I ordered the size 7, even though I would usually take a size 6, following the other reviewer's advice. I personally had enough room when trying them on to get a whole fingers width in between my heel and the back of the shoe, so i dont know if the 6 would have fitted just fine on me, but it certainly shows the difference between two reveiwers experiences with the same product!! I cant see how you'd have to go up a size now after ordering bigger, but such is the way with things like shoes, it is always better to try them on before buying and you risk it when you buy online..

I don't know how much this review will help others who are thinking of buying these, (sorry!) but if it helps just to get across how nice these shoes are I suppose that's one thing, and i apologise to those who end up confused by conflicting results posted! I suppose it was the one review posted in the first place that made me opt for going a size up, so maybe in turn I ought to suggest 'nooo! Try ordering your regular shoe size, and THEN you can worry about going up or down if they don't fit!!' Well, I didn't notice them coming up small like the other woman who reviewed them must have, and trust me, I'm no extreme cinderella in the foot department..

I was particularly impressed by the heel height however, sufficient to look feminine but not too high to be impractical for all day. I would like to try these in my 'actual' size, and if I do in future I will update how I got on...
Perhaps only with more opinions will we know if they are true to size!

Nutritech, Kids, Multiple Vitamin & Mineral Powder, 7.95 oz (225 g)
Nutritech, Kids, Multiple Vitamin & Mineral Powder, 7.95 oz (225 g)
Offered by Atlantic Trading Company
Price: 10.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for as a mother!, 8 Aug 2013
From a mother's point of view, you can never ply your children with enough goodness, as they always have room for that extra cookie, but eye those vitamins and sometimes vegetables suspiciously as if you're asking them to consume an old sock or something. In all fairness we as a household do eat quite a few fruit & veg each day- weirdly my kids just love salad, but to top them up I bought this because it contained no sugar and in powder form I wasn't going to face any awful gagging/ half choking moments, even I find it hard to swallow pills! I have looked high and low for no sugar vitamins and to be frank, the choice is very poor. Why should i have to give my kids a dose of glucose or fructose syrup even, just to get some more goodness in them, and also isn't that a little contradictory? The price is pretty hefty, I will admit, even looked to have this brand shipped from America but no matter where I've looked, if you take into account postage, this is the best price I could find, and after all, I do believe that health is worth it. The long and short of it is that my children have never complained. I add this in appropriate dosage to their morning fruit smoothies or a milkshake, and it goes down great. Might I just add that I use my husband's blender bottle (the one he got with his fitness shake powder) to blend this powder if it is going straight into juice or flavoured milk, otherwise I use our electric blender, as I can see why this could clump if you just went at it with a spoon in a cup. I guess it could give you good arm muscles though, but no-one would really want to be enjoying their drink only to be hit by a mouthful of powder...eww! Aside, I am definitely giving this five stars, and happily recommend it, as there is a good array of vitamins and without any hidden nasties. No gluten, no dairy, no colourings or flavours, no sweeteners. Very pleased with this purchase and will continue to do so for as long as I am able.

Mr Scratchings Pork Snack Crunch 30 g (Pack of 12)
Mr Scratchings Pork Snack Crunch 30 g (Pack of 12)
Price: 9.52

5.0 out of 5 stars So yummy and just enough crunch, 8 Aug 2013
After getting over my intolerance to wheat somewhat, (most snacks of this type have small amounts of wheat in them) I bought these being a massive fan of scratchings and crackling etc. These are not fatty like scratchings, (and sometimes scratchings can have bits of meat and hair on them which even to a seasoned pork snack eater isn't so appealing,) but these are just fantastic. They are like a crunchy curly crisp somewhat- very clean and evenly seasoned. Not hard, but light and fluffy so also perfect for Grandad who is tempted but doesn't think his teeth may make it! They come in different shapes and sizes, so you get a mixed bag but they don't all look completely different like scratchings often do, and the flavour of each is reassuringly the same. Ideal for a low carb crisp-like snack, with a satisfying salty, slightly meaty taste. Quite filling too. Very impressed over all, and that's the problem really, I'm sure I could munch a whole case of these within a fortnight myself alone, and my kids are on the scrounge now too..! 5 stars. Delivery by amazon direct to door was also prompt. Happy customer.

Prewetts Instant Organic Chicory 100g
Prewetts Instant Organic Chicory 100g
Offered by UniStore
Price: 5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Really smooth satisfying alternative to coffee., 10 April 2013
I had to review this because I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Decided to buy this after going on a fast and wanting to be able to drink something akin to coffee, as I just could NOT give it up in the past- decaf was the best I could do. Well, this is a beautiful coffee alternative. I have not really touched a cup of coffee since my jar of Prewetts arrived. This Chicory drink is very satisfying and quite 'coffee-like', it is only slightly bitter, but very smooth and full flavoured, and it hisses and foams ever so breifly when you add hot water from the kettle which is quite comforting and appealing, just the ticket on a miserable, cold day. The fact that Prewetts is organic was a bonus, and of course caffeine free, but Chicory is also apparently meant to have other health benefits and so makes a guilt free drink, even when on a diet, detox or fast! Will be ordering more for sure, and reccommending to friends. Price wise I am also impressed as the jar including delivery came to just under the price I would have paid anyhow for my regular jar of branded instant coffee, so very happy. If in doubt and on the look out for a coffee alternative, give this a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5