Profile for Dorsetbay > Reviews

Content by Dorsetbay

Dorsetbay

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle PowerFast Charger for Accelerated Charging, UK (for Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Over priced and no lead, 17 Mar 2014
Very expensive - and when it arrived there was no lead with it . They have to be ordered separately at a cost of a further £9.99. I assumed that the leads would be included. Indeed I think the charger and the leads should both be included with the kindle. Rip off amazon.

SanDisk SDSDU-032G-U46 32 GB Ultra 30 MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed on first use, 30 Sep 2013
I bought this in July as a spare but did not need to use it until we went on holiday in September. It failed after 300 shots and I lost 3 photos before realising it was faulty. I have had other Sandisk cards and two more have failed recently I do not think I will be buying sandisk again.

acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
acctim 14117 Europa silence tick alarm clock
Offered by HARTS

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst clock I have ever bought, 1 Feb 2013
I bought this as I wanted a large clock I could see without my glasses in the night and I thought acctim was a good make. The clock was indeed large and easy to read but unfortunately it could not keep time. After a week or so it started getting slower and slower, at the rate of about 30 mins a day. I changed the batteries it seemed fine....for a week....then started to slow down, at the rate of about 30 mins a day again. After the 4th set of batteries I threw it away - an alarm clock that slows down so dramatically that it needs a battery change every week is no use. I wish I had returned it but I did not have the packaging.
I am going to buy a Seiko - they are more expensive but my last Seiko was still going strong after 10 years and was only replaced because I lent it to my daughter to take on holiday and she left it in a hotel in Florida!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2014 4:49 PM GMT

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but only for the light and the colour screen, 2 Dec 2012
I have a kindle keyboard that I love. The only downside is that it doesn't have a light and I have tried 2 diffeent cases with built in lights and a clip on light but none are satisfactory. I was going to try the paperwhite (though was holding back becasue I am not sure about touch screens) but was tempted by the £99 deal for the fire.
Good points are that the light is good, the pages are easy to read and its very solid. It has a nice feel to it and a good screen. I love the fact its in colour.
Bad points are that I can't stop the screen revolving. I like to read with the kindle at an angle and the screen is driving me mad by turning itself sideways or upside down whenver I tilt it. Its very hard to read when the screen revolves every time you move the kindle. I wish there was a way to lock it. The other downside is that battery life is awful - thats with the screen set to a fairly low brightness level most of the time and only using it for reading not the other things I am told you can use it for.
And that brings me to the other problem - I cannot find instructions. I have never used anything of this sort before, never used anything touch screen and I was really at a loss with how to use it. You get a 5 screen very basic 'lesson' when you first set it up which tells you very little and you can't save it. I can't find any other form of instruction. I did not find it intuitive and have not gone beyond books as I really don't know how to put photos on it or watch things or get online on it. I am not too sure how amazon cloud works either - again cannot find anything that tells me how to use it on a kindle fire. Its probably really easy and intuitive if you are young and have lots of gadgets and can 'read' symbols and understand how all these devices work, but if you don't then there's no help at all in understanding how it works and how to use it.
Also it only syncs one way. I can pick up the kindle keyboard and it will take me to the exact page I was reading on the kindle fire - but the kindle fire won;t take me to the page I reached on the keyboard, just to the last page I was at on the fire. This is annoying because I was hoping to use the kindle keyboard most of the time and just pick up the fire when I needed a lighted page.
All in all the kindle fire is proably great if you like and understand gadgets and understand how to use it to its full potential, but if they brought out a kindle keyboard with a light and colour pages I would probably never use the fire again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 4:35 PM GMT

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Walker story board books)
We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Walker story board books)
by Michael Rosen
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars lack of colour pictures lets it down, 1 Oct 2012
My daughters loved this book when they were small so I was delighted to see it was still in print to buy for my grand daughter. However I am sure it was all in colour when they were young. The illustrations in this board book are mainly black and white which is such a shame as colour pictures are so much more appealing to little ones. Looking back at the description I now see one of the reviews comments on this and if I had noticed this before I ordered I would not have bought the book.

Kata 123-GO-30 Sling Backpack
Kata 123-GO-30 Sling Backpack

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many zips and not a comfortable bag !, 27 May 2012
I bought this bag to replace a much loved Kata backpack which had become too small to carry my camera equipment and because I thought a sling bag would be more useful - but I am very disappointed with this bag. The bag is very large and very bulky. I can't sit down wearing it as its too long for me even with the straps adjusted. I should have got the the next size down maybe but it is very hard to work out exactly what the bag will carry and I did not want to risk buying something the same size as my old bag. The straps are narrow and not well padded. I have not tried the sling option - one strap alone does not look sufficient to hold the bag securely and balance it properly. There is nowhere to put water either - a major problem when you are out for the day. And the zips....there are so many zips going in different directions that it is difficult to work out which opens what and I am forever worried about opening the wrong zip and having everything fall out which could happen easily.
On the plus side it is well made, it looks good, the top compartment is very roomy and I have no problem fitting everything in with plenty of room to spare (Canon 550D, Sigma 16-125mm, Canon 50mm, Canon 70-300mm, lens hoods for all and a Panasonic FZ45 with lens hoods). I like the yellow lining too.
I do regret buying this bag and wish I had gone for the medium sized Lowepro Slingshot.

Lente Designs® Kindle Keyboard cover / case in 'Smithy Stripes' fabric
Lente Designs® Kindle Keyboard cover / case in 'Smithy Stripes' fabric
Offered by Lente Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cover, excellent quality, 28 April 2012
I am really pleased with this cover. I had one of the expensive £50 leather ones with a light but the kindle kept falling out of it and the connections were so bad the light rarely worked. This is a fraction of the price and much better value. The cover is tough and padded, with a suede like lining which protects the kindle. There is a very strong magnetic which keeps it firmly shut. It appears to be extremely well made and the fabric design is unusual and attractive.
I liked it so much that I bought the grey floral one as well so that I can ring the changes.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Keyboard 3G is worth the extra cost, 28 April 2012
Just bought my second Kindle Keyboard with 3G. Unlucky with my first as it packed up after 16 months but this happens sometimes with all gadgets and machines. I went for a couple of days without it and realised how much I missed it! Tried the Kindle Touch for 1 day but hated it. It was nowhere near the quality of any apple touchscreen I have tried. I am assuming it was faulty to give it the benefit of the doubt, but returned it and bought another Kindle Keyboard. It is substantial (I found the Touch felt quite flimsy), works beautifully and looks good. I like the comforting click when you turn the pages and it feels good to hold and use. The screen is clean and clear - serious ghosting problem with the Touch meant you could see several layers of text through the screen which made it hard to read. I don't use the 3G much but it is useful when I am away from home and have no wifi access. The battery life is superb - as long as you don't leave the wireless on by mistake you get 1-2 months per charge and thats with reading for 2 hours a day. And you get the mains adaptor charger with it which you have to buy separately with the touch.
It is expensive but it is worth paying more for the extra quality.

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful - so disapointed, 23 April 2012
I had a lovely 3G keyboard Kindle which suddenly 'died'. I thought the Kindle touch would be a good replacement but it is dreadful. It is almost impossible to use. A touch or a tap does not always work the first, or second or third time...you have to keep on trying until you eventually strike lucky. You can't go backwards, when you try to restore your archived books you have to go back to the home screen at the end of each page of 10 and start again. I have come to the conclusion that mine is faulty because it surely can't be this difficult to use if it is working properly. Even my husband and daughters who consider themselves 'geeky' and who love gadgets and have various touch screen devices found the kindle touch un-usable. There is also terrible ghosting and you can see the screens below. Finally the minimal instruction leaflet is all in German - very useful if you are purchasing from Amazon UK.

My daughter has the basic kindle, which is fine. The 3G keyboard was excellent (for the first 16 months until it packed up) but I really cannot recommend the Kindle Touch.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2012 2:02 PM BST

Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 V2 - Pomegranate Red
Microsoft Compact Optical Mouse 500 V2 - Pomegranate Red
Offered by eurosale-net

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight with a short lead, 12 Jun 2011
I really regret buying this - it is very lightweight and the lead is far too short. There is an irritating red light. I was taken in by the colour but wish I had spent more money and gone for something more substantial.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2013 11:28 AM BST