Profile for J. Street > Reviews

Content by J. Street

J. Street "gingan99" (Lancs, UK)

Home Plumbing Manual: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
Home Plumbing Manual: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
by Andy Blackwell

5.0 out of 5 stars The clearest, funniest plumbing book ever!, 20 Dec. 2014
This book has been indispensable for my colleagues and I on our adult part-time plumbing course. As a self employed handywoman I come across a lot of plumbing work which has been bodged and consequently caused expensive problems for the hapless homeowner. If people were inclined to try and tackle small plumbing repairs themselves, they would not go far wrong by using this book. The colour photos are especially helpful, but best of all is Andy's way of delivering clear information in a humorous (often hilarious) and very engaging way. I recommend this book highly to everyone with even a slight interest in the subject.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 3:29 PM GMT

The 4-Hour Body: An uncommon guide to rapid fat-loss, incredible sex and becoming superhuman
by Timothy Ferriss

5.0 out of 5 stars It's easy and it WORKS! No, really, it DOES!, 22 July 2011
This is really a reference book which you can dip in and out of.

That said, in just 6-weeks, Ferris's diet has :-

1. allowed me to EASILY lose a stone (only 10lb to go...)
2. finally broken my 48-year bread, biscuit and chocolate addictions
3. cleared up a mysterious rash I've had for 5 years
4. eliminated my afternoon drowsiness
5. considerably alleviated depression, especially in the mornings
6. given me the enthusiasm to exercise more
7. amazed my friends, who can't believe how well I look

Give it a try - you will need to be open-minded and forget everything you've ever been told about losing weight. Then when you've proved it works, read Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint book as well!

The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat
by Loren Cordain

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a skim through - but highly repetitive, 22 July 2011
This is a good book about the Paleo way of eating, but the useful, practical information within it tends to get lost in it's rambling and repetitive style. After the 1st couple of chapters I skimmed over the rest and switched to Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint - much better value for money. Also, if you can stand the OTT-ness, try Tim Ferris's 4-Hour Body.

Get Out of My Life: The bestselling guide to living with teenagers: A Parents Guide to the New Teenager
by Suzanne Franks

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL reading for parents of teenagers !!, 12 Aug. 2009
This BRILLIANT book quite possibly saved me from insanity whilst trying to deal with my Jekyll & Hyde teenage son. It is so painfully accurate that I laughed out loud reading it, at a time when I didn't much feel like laughing! The book explains WHY teenagers behave the way they do, helping me to "chill" about tantrums and demands, and not take them personally or be hurt by them. Because of this book I have made the effort to develop closer working relationships with my son's friends parents, and gained a lot of support in the process. I keep the book by my bed and read relevant sections when needed - READ IT AND BE SAVED FROM TEENAGE HELL!