Profile for Art > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Something Might Happen
Something Might Happen

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept me reading, 9 Feb 2013
I bought this book on the strength of reading Sleepwalking, which I thought was original and believable but also provided insight into the way people think at different times in their lives. This book, whilst it kept me reading, felt less natural and more contrived.The insightfulness seemed absent.

Oracle Night
Oracle Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious and original, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Oracle Night (Kindle Edition)
A complex and ingenious story that whilst being outlandish is also believable and makes you think. The writing, as always with Auster, is first rate.

Saturday
Saturday

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant description of one man's traumatic day., 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Saturday (Kindle Edition)
This is one of McEwan's best novels. Extremely thoughtful and believable. You feel you know him and his family at the end of the day.

Independence Day
Independence Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Independence Day (Kindle Edition)
Ford is a genius at making the common place absorbing . After 400 pages you feel you know Frank Bascombe like a brother

Disturbing the Peace (Vintage Classics)
Disturbing the Peace (Vintage Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stomach turner, 8 Dec 2012
This was a stomach turner not because of any horror but the brilliant description of the agonising (for the reader) way this man crumbles to nothing.

Women with Men
Women with Men
by Richard Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Good characters, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Women with Men (Paperback)
I really oved these stories. I thought they were different and convincing. The characters came alive as did the settings

Sleepwalking
Sleepwalking
by Julie Myerson

4.0 out of 5 stars Convincing and different, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sleepwalking (Paperback)
I really liked this and read it very swiftly. Absolutely convincing in spite of being outlandish in a number of ways.

A Piece of My Heart
A Piece of My Heart
by Richard Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars He got much better, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Piece of My Heart (Paperback)
Plenty of atmsphere in this tale but I am not sure whether the story or subject matter really interested me. Fortunately Ford became a brilliant writter after this early attempt.

Pravda
Pravda
by Edward Docx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Pravda (Paperback)
An excellently written story, complex and interesting. Some very good characters and clever dialogue as well as convincing description of place.

LUGGAGE SCALE
LUGGAGE SCALE
Offered by BargainShop_London

1.0 out of 5 stars Luggage Scale, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: LUGGAGE SCALE (Personal Care)
We bought this item to leave at our home in Portugal so that when returning to the UK we could ensure that our suitcases and cabin bagge did not exceed the RyanAir limits, which as everyone knows are very strict. On leaving Portugal recently, after our summer holiday, we attempted to use these for the first time. The hook would not accomodate the large suitcae or cabin luggage - they just kept slipping off. Also the marker, to ensure that the scales were at zero before weighing the luggage, could not easily be turned back to the zero mark. They were also not accurate. We knew roughly how much each should weigh from the amount of luggage we had originally taken on holiday. This was confirmed when we arrived at the 'check in' desk. Our bags each weighed at least three kilos more than shown on the scales. If I could have given this item no stars at all I would. Absolute waste of money.

Page: 1 | 2