Profile for Simon Wells > Reviews

The Book of Lost Tales 1 (The History of Middle-earth, Book 1): Pt. 1
The Book of Lost Tales 1 (The History of Middle-earth, Book 1): Pt. 1
by Christopher Tolkien

4.0 out of 5 stars like picking up an essay., 5 Feb 2013
Tolkien was the first to write an amazing fantasy book, but at first that hadn't been his intention, if you read up on a lot of it you will find that the Hobbit was a book for his children, and Lord of the Rings was never meant to be as epic as it became, it just got carried away with him (wouldn't it be great if your bit of carrying away made your children rich beyond your dreams. I love Tolkien, I read the Lord of the Rings as a child after trying several time, but I kept going back to it, knowing how grand and amazing it was. What I couldn't get over was the size of it, this was a book that was bigger than any other I'd seen (even though now it is small compared to many fantasy books). This was (until HBO made Games of Thrones) the only fantasy book that reading snobs would pick up, but they're idiots because they've missed amazing tales. Lord of the Rings isn't the best fantasy book out there, I know that is going to get a lot of people rilled, but it isn't, what it is is just amazing. The poetry, description and language of this book surpasses anything else out there, and I know that you're getting ready to say I've contradicted myself but woah. The plot is stolen from norse myth, and the story is a nice simple plot that is easy to follow where other fantasy books have created a vast plot that takes almost as long as the books themselves to explain. Tolkien has made a simple base tale, but better than anyone else ever could.

The book of Lost Tales are fragments of Tolkien's works from long before he wrote either of his bestsellers, and his son follows each tale with a commentary. The problem with this is that these tales are unfinished, and ideas that Tolkien had never intended for others to see, they are an author's notes, nothing of real substance, and not finished, with the only solid aspect being Christopher Tolkien explain each tale, and giving us a full insight into each of the several chapters. This book is like a short story with an essay following. However if this had been anyone else I probably would have gone on about how pointless the entire thing is, interjecting how I hate modern celebrities along the lines (how many different Master Chefs are there on the telly for God's sake!!), but the thing is I can't hate this. My father told me the tale of Lord of the Rings when I was camping as a kid, and since then I loved it, I watched the terrible film, and then the three amazing ones, and now loving the Hobbit (even though it drags in a few bits). What I felt when I read this was like the old Icelandic tales, someone sitting by a fire reading them out, and that is how I feel that Tolkien wanted these short tales to be told. The commentary is needed because it is difficult to follow who is who and what is going on, but that is to be expected with scraps of scrawled notes.

If you liked Tolkien's work then read it to get a better understanding of how he felt about his work, but don't expect an amazing read because it is like picking up an essay.

Without Remorse
Without Remorse
by Tom Clancy

2.0 out of 5 stars Every time one professional looks to another with understanding of their profession made me grind my teeth, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Without Remorse (Paperback)
A lot of people have said that this is Clancy's best work, and they are either living in a world where he has only written this one book, or bless them they are being paid to say that about all his books, because this is not his best piece of work by a long shot.

Tom Clancy is a geek in the greatest of senses, he is an expert in sonar, which is clearly seen in Hunt for Red October (one of his best books), and has a wide knowledge of military tactics, and espionage. You can see by his writing style that Clancy was probably not one of the first boys to be picked on the sports field, but because of that he learnt the knowledge that he has. The only problem with Clancy is that I find his writing style very wooden, at times even Pinocchio would think it wooden. Clancy will drag the scene out for longer than it needs to be, clearly shown in Sum of All Fears (his best book) the scene goes on and on and on until even the Duracell Bunny gets tired, but then it explodes and you're unable to put it down.

This book is one that shows how wooden his writing can be. John Kelly aka Mr Clark, a navy Seal who loses someone close to him hunts the killers while also planning a rescue operation for a group of POWs in Vietnam, making Jack Bauer look like a Boy Scout in the process. The problem with this book is that though there are points in this book when I think Kelly is great, cold and ruthless putting it mildly as he hunts down the drug dealers, men Clancy has vilified to the point that they may as well hunt children for a hobby...or fish, then Kelly is ruined by moments like when he cries as people are saved, a man like this wouldn't cry over some men not dying, he deals with death everyday and would have become numb to it. Kelly isn't the problem in this book, he is one of the redeeming features, Sam Rosen, Oreza, in fact every character in a profession are the problem, because they are so damn straight and true it is annoying, they may as well be robots or the Borg because they all think and act as one. The beginning when Kelly first meets Rosen, a surgeon who is useless out at sea, but every moment of those painstaking paragraphs are how this man strives to understand everything, how his preaching dross over drugs makes me wish Kelly would kill him. Every time one professional looks to another with understanding of their profession made me grind my teeth, no one cares that you respect these professions, just write the story!!

What I normally admire and enjoy about a Tom Clancy book is the un-put-downable endings, but this one never had it. Like Frederick Forsyth, Clancy makes sure he sets a scene for an explosive thrilling end, but Forsyth does it a lot better, Clancy gets caught up in plots that just aren't needed. Twice in this book he goes through an addict getting clean from drugs, he may well have copied and pasted the work, it is one of his greatest weakness's, and he does it in most books, usually those parts are forgotten because the endings are so good. This ending sort of started, but fizzed out. There was none of the edge of the seat reading that I found with Sum of All Fears or Clear and Present Danger. I understand why people want to read how Clark began his CIA career, but placing Clark/Kelly in the spotlight makes you have to humanise him, and I loved him in Cardinal and Kremlin. He isn't an easy character to write I'm sure, but the plot and side characters in this book don't help it one bit.

Fables: Legends in Exile (Vertigo)
Fables: Legends in Exile (Vertigo)
by Bill Willingham

4.0 out of 5 stars hopefully they don't ruin something that has potential to be enjoyable., 6 Jan 2013
Fables Legends in Exile brings us a brand new look at all the old children stories you were told as a child, unless of course you were born after 2000 in which all you were given to grow up to was Mr Tumbles, which is better than those in the 70s who had Jimmy Savile. The background to this new parable is that some bad guy known as the Adversary (probably because opponent, rival, enemy, antagonist, and opposer were after it in the dictionary) decided to take over all the old lands, causing some of our most loved fables to join together to escape their Homelands to our Homeland, a pretty simple back story explaining why some of these characters who were classed as bad guys became good guys.

I admit that I do like how Bill Willingham has changed the characters from how they are normally portrayed, and in this first volume we see who we believe are to become the main protagonists in this series. Firstly we meet Jack and the Beanstalk, who isn't just a cheeky chap, but a known conman and wanted for murder. Now Mr and the Beanstalk is set up as a kind of down-on-his-luck kind of guy that you are meant to like, but I do think that he just needs a good slap, and by no means the best character they created (why he gets his spin off show is beyond me, a bit like why they made the Cleveland Show when Family guy was so awful). Jack is obviously not the killer of Rose Red, the woman believed to have been killed. Rose Red is famous for being Snow White's sister (not the snow white starring Bella from Twilight in case you were wondering, not a good film), but in this case is jealous of her sister, and the usual sister rivalry follows their backgrounds, one get a handsome prince, the other sleeps with the handsome prince (its almost like an episode of Jeremy Kyle).

The characters that do stand out to me in this first instalment is Bigby (Big Bad) Wolf, well known hard ass who has all the Fables that are animals, which live on a farm, hating him, but he has become the sheriff of Fabletown and is portrayed as a kind of Clint Eastwood role but with claws instead of a magnum. I like Bigby because you get the feeling that no one wants to mess with him because he is someone who doesn't take any rubbish. The end of volume 1 has a few pages about Bigby back in the Homelands and how he came to join the other fleeing fables, which I really liked, because there are so many characters it is nice to try to give them a decent background to understand. Sadly this doesn't continue in further instalments, which I found a shame.

Vol. 1 isn't a bad start to the Fables series, sadly they are now getting ready for Vol.18, dragging this story out, but it is a good strong start, hopefully they don't ruin something that has potential to be enjoyable.

Showcase Presents Superman: Volume 2
Showcase Presents Superman: Volume 2
by Jerry Coleman

3.0 out of 5 stars there is a reason that Superman is the most popular of all heroes, and probably always will be., 3 Jan 2013
This is Vol. 2 of DC's Showcase Superman, collecting both Action Comics, and Superman comics from 1959-1961, bringing us more of the silver age of Superman comics, which you can buy and read without having to take a loan out to buy them, Action Comic 252, the introduction of Supergirl is being sold for almost £400, you can say what you like, but that's a difficult sale for any married man. It is great that these comics are being put together in bundles, Marvel also follows suit with the Essential series, of which I own quite a few now. Just for random information the first Detective Comic with Batman has just sold for over one million dollars, making me hate that my parents and grandparents didn't collect comics, because I would have one hell of a nest egg by now (if you are after a bargin then Amazing Spiderman issue 700 where Peter Parker dies is about six quid, could be worth an investment, if you're above collecting comics then you probably aren't reading this, and therefore all who do hate you, you stuck up, self righteous "I like real books" snob)

I find that now when I'm writing a review I can tell when I like a book or not by what I think of before writing the review, if i didn't like the book I think of brain dead celebs and the idiots that are fascinated by their lives, or people that claim that the film is better than the book, which is never right, EVER! I must admit that thinking of what I was going to say about this did catch me off. Vol. 1 did annoy me, and as I picked Vol. 2 up I expected the same corny plots and some God awful plot lines, and this didn't disappoint. Vol. 2 gives us some terrible comics (they are bad Die Hard comic fans, get over it) that annoying elf Mxyzptlk, a name that would score high on a scrabble board, but just makes me sign and want to skip. This character appears and disappears more times than Grant Mitchell in Eastenders (probably doesn't act as bad as Grant though) while on Earth his sole enjoyment is tormenting Superman, who spends his time trying to make him say his name backwards, which will take him back to his own dimension, I'm waiting for when they get him a hooker called Kltpzyxm who makes him call out her name, but maybe I'll have to wait with the R rated Superman (bet he won't wanna be faster than a speeding bullet then).

Another character that annoys me so far has been Bizarro, the ugly dumb version of Superman. Bizarro now has an entire planet of Bizarro Supermen and Louis Lane, all with probably three brain cells to share between them, though that is more than the cast of Only Way is Essex can boast. Bizarro's roles in Vol. 2 have been pretty terrible, hitting rock bottom when he turns up on a movie set to fight the actor playing Superman, and everyone thinks Superman is acting like Bizarro, which Superman plays up to so as not to get anyone harmed by the original Bizarro, sounds a little complex but when you read it you'll just find it annoying.

There is also a longwinded way Superman tricks a mob boss to break the law, considering mob bosses are known to break the law, as it kind of goes with the title, but it does give us a cameo from Aquaman, King of the Seven Seas, ahh.

However though I do get annoyed with a lot of these comics, and how little happens in them I can't help but kind of enjoy them at the same time. Superman is an all time great, and there is a reason for this, he is the ultimate good guy, and that you can't complain about. These comics do try to enforce that people should always do the right thing, and the imagination of the writers is great to see. There is the story arc of Superman returning to Krypton to fall in love, and he helpless to watch it blow up again. Something about Superman always has a soft spot for me, though I have gotten annoyed with not only these old comics but some of the newer ones and the flop of Superman Returns, but there is a reason that Superman is the most popular of all heroes, and probably always will be.

Showcase Presents Superman: Volume 1
Showcase Presents Superman: Volume 1
by Jerome Siegel

2.0 out of 5 stars The silver age of comics sadly had more cheese in them than a cheesemonger, 25 Dec 2012
Showcase Superman Vol. doesn't start from num 1 like the Marvel series do, but I think that is because most of the twenty years or so were quite pointless, or so outdated they would be difficult to read. Whatever the reason the Superman series starts at the end of the 50s giving us the first view of Brainiac and Bizzaro. It also introduces Supergirl to DC world along with the miniature city of Kandor that had been shrunk by Brainiac (played by Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Smallville).

This has been named as the Silver age of comics, it was a time when kids didn't have computers, nor the internet, a beautiful time when idiots like me couldn't spread our opinions to the world just those nearby, and since I'm a miserable git that doesn't happen often. This was a simple time as our elders would tell us, "full of honest and good people" that is what I get told by my elders who I must respect. Of course it was, it was a time when America would brainwash its citizens with the fear of Communists marching through their land (causing such fear that so many people hid behind the second amendment giving us our headlines we see today). A time when the colour of a persons skin would sum them up to others, "an honest time".

The silver age of comics sadly had more cheese in them than a cheesemonger, these comics seep with corny lines and stories that I found myself getting annoyed when I read them, just like I felt when I read the first lot of Captain America comics, or Avengers, or Batman, or any of them. They are overbearing with honour and doing the right thing, the darker side to these heroes haven't been shown yet, but at least with the older Marvel comics there was a bit more action. This Vol. of Superman has about five comics full of action, making me feel that they lie with the title Action Comics. There is the annoying elf from the fifth dimension, Superman turning old (he does this again in Vol. 2, talk about reusing a story), Luthor the mad scientist instead of just getting Kryptonite and making a dagger with it to stab Superman he makes all these pointless machines to stop him. There are so many villains from the DC universe that you see and are annoyed with because you see how great they become, and the stories are pretty outdated, they don't brainwash you against the Soviet Union like the classic Marvel did, but it is still enough to get annoyed with.

The old comics are what you expect them to be, but sadly these classic Superman comics annoy me because there are too many where nothing happens, just a bad guy has a plan, tries to trick Superman but he always knew what they planned and just gives the audience a wink. I'm sorry but I was hoping for a bit of a scrap in some of these pages. I usually read one or two comics before going to sleep, and I remember an entire week of reading them without Superman fighting anyone. Maybe that isn't the point of him, maybe it is just me, and if it is then I apologise if I offend you die hard fans, but all I say is that I hope the new film will have more of the modern comics about them.

Essential Spider-Man Vol.10
Essential Spider-Man Vol.10
by Denny O'Neil

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiderman vs the Juggernaut, which is advertised on the front cover so no surprise, 18 Dec 2012
We open this 10th volume with Spiderman battling the Sub Mariner before turning a low life into Hydro-Man (they really should be more careful who get these powers, so many become bad guys). Spiderman then takes on the Frightful Four different from the original quartet who took on the Fantastic Four, but that is another story and we really should keep these reviews shorter than the books we're reviewing, which is difficult if you're reviewing something by Oliver Jeffers (if you got that then well done, if not look the name up). Spiderman teams up with the Sub Mariner to take the Frightful Four on, so many heroes fight each other then team up, it's like a marriage (you wouldn't wanna marry She-Hulk and cheat on her, she really would own a necklace of your bits). A rubbish episode about Spiderman stopping an assassin with a target in the marathon, which is just an episode to fill before another long plot line, which starts again with Hydro-man and Sandman becoming a big monster that looks like Sandman at the end of Spiderman 3 (you remember that terrible film don't you?). Matt Murdock cameos alongwith with Moon Knight in a couple of stories before annual 15 where Spiderman and the Punisher face Doc Ock and the Punisher surrenders to the law believing he's killed the Doc. The Black Cat appears and is believed dead after a two comic story arc, but we know she doesn't die (again a long explanation).

Throughout this Vol. Peter Parker has a love interest in Deb Whitman before the Black Cat returns, as MJ has vanished after Peter proposes to her. As usual Peter's life goes from bad to worse as he is attracted to a woman who turns out to be a member of the Frightful Four, and once attracted to the Black Cat she is killed (well not killed but that is because they rarely kill anyone in Marvel just yet, that happens more in the 90s). You can't help but think that pete should just turn villain because he has no luck as a good guy, but that is the whole point in sacrificing yourself to the greater good. Just a shame that the greater good doesn't get him the girls a bit more often.

The best story arc in this Vol. is Spiderman vs the Juggernaut, which is advertised on the front cover so no surprise, and it is what you expect. spiderman packs every ounce of strength in his punches and it doesn't stop the unstoppable foe, which if you've seen others face the Juggernaut you've got a little tired of because everyone has this problem, and they always find a way to stop him in the end. Spiderman has to try to stop the Juggernaut from taking Madame Web, after he just meets Betty Brant again, but it never goes that easy.

This Vol. is enjoyable, where the X-Men matured in the 70s for an older audience, Spiderman hasn't changed that much over the 200+ comics and I love the quick one liners from the Webhead, which others try but none come close to Spidy, and that is why he is one of the best Superheroes out there.

The Bloody Doors Off (Boys)
The Bloody Doors Off (Boys)
by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Finale, 15 Dec 2012
This is the final instalment of Ennis' The Boys, finishing off one of my favourite comics of all times. People have criticised this series for dragging out, me included as Highland Laddie and Butcher, Baker did feel a bit pointless. As I have already said Highland Laddie was pointless apart from meeting Mallory, and Vol. 10 showed a pretty obvious background of Butcher who I have decided has been one of the greatest anti-heroes ever.

It's difficult to explain how I feel about this Vol. without giving anything away, and as it can't be brought from Amazon yet, I don't want anything ruined for anyone. Vol. 12 finishes the entire story arc, giving an actual ending to all characters that we've known and learned to love. As expected from the end of the last Vol. Butcher goes off alone for full retaliation for the death of his wife, and as we know that she brought him back from the brink, made him care again, without her he would be nothing, blah, blah, blah (it's such an obvious development to the character that it is a little disappointing). As Butcher sets his final plans in motion, Hughie has no choice but to confront him along with the rest of the Boys.

I picked the book up and finished it 30min later as I couldn't put it, wanting to know how they finish the series. I love how they finish Butcher, a little obvious once you get half way through, and one of those confrontations that everyone would want to be different, but Ennis does as only it can really end, and Vought continue in this series as the slimy corporations that you despise. If you have read the rest of The Boys then you're going to read this, it is an excellent ending to what I have enjoyed reading, and have to admit, for someone who loves thinking I can make a better ending I must admit this couldn't really end any other way.

Essential Fantastic Four Volume 3 TPB (New Printing): v. 3
Essential Fantastic Four Volume 3 TPB (New Printing): v. 3
by Jack Kirby

3.0 out of 5 stars still popular fifty years on, which most writers can't claim., 27 Nov 2012
10 years ago if you were trying to get into the comic book world you would have struggled to find where to start. I first thought about getting into comics while I was still in the military (you'd be surprised by how many read comics, but never forget comics are for legends and there isn't a place with more legends than the military). It was then I found Essential X-Men, and from there I started to branch out, with only recently hitting into the DC universe while still trying to tackle Marvel.

The Fantastic Four was my third instalment of comics after X-Men and Spiderman, and at first I wasn't that impressed, but this was because of the times. Spiderman and X-Men were both cheesy during the first couple of Essentials, and Fantastic Four wasn't any different. However by Vol. 3 The Fantastic Four started to open up with more ongoing plots, and less cheesy comments, not to say that there weren't any as the Thing quite often pipes up with some comment, which the films missed (not surprising as these comments are basically the building blocks of the Thing's character and the films didn't want to waste their time with something like building a decent character do they?).

There are a wide range of stories and plots in this Vol. There is the first real ongoing plot line in the Fantastic Four, which is the Inhumans, consisting of Jonny falling in love with a mysterious girl Crystal (before she falls for Quicksilver. Spoiler!), and Medusa who has been a villain so far in the comics becoming a good guy, and a great fight between the Thing and Black Bolt in no 46. The Inhumans are locked away from the rest of the world which continues throughout the entire Vol. 3 with Jonny crying about getting her back (you can't blame a guy for wanting to get a sure thing in life, but he does go to extremes for it).

Vol. 3 also introduces Wyatt Wingfoot, the Black Panther, Silver Surfer, and the big villain Planet Eating Galactus (not as nails as he does become).

The stories are far better in this Vol. than in previous, the first few aren't anything great what with the Wedding of Reed and Sue with cameos from every hero in Marvel (surprising they get invited as usually when they meet with each other they have endless fights). My favourite is the Inhuman saga, but I don't mean to overshadow Reed in the Negative Zone, the Rise of the Silver Surfer (not the film, that was pretty rubbish, but not as bad as the X-Men films, they were awful), Dr Doom stealing the Surfer's board, and the Fantastic Four meeting the Black Panther. It is funny to think how some of these characters were probably put on as side lines, but became so popular they hold their own against some of the greats.

Where the X-Men seem to aim for a more mature audience once they get their revamp, the Fantastic Four seem to keep much to how they were originally thought up, which I think is a great thing as it means that the original ideas were fine, and no need to ruin a good thing. The Essential Marvel books are great night reading, the cheesy lines can be overlooked as you know that what you are reading is still popular fifty years on, which most writers can't claim.

The Boys: Highland Laddie v. 8
The Boys: Highland Laddie v. 8
by Garth Ennis

2.0 out of 5 stars Highland Laddie is pretty pointless, with very little of substance happening, 27 Nov 2012
I have enjoyed reading the Boys, and I have stated why in several reviews I have posted about them, so I won't waste you time with that again as you probably would rather just have a look if it is worth it, read it, and then buy the next. Sadly I feel that this book isn't really needed.

The Boy's have held their own from Vol.3 onwards, but Vol. 8 Highland Laddie is pretty pointless, with very little of substance happening.

Hughie has left New York to return home to try to clear his thoughts after the aftermath of Vol. 7, an amazing read, ending on a fantastic ending making me buy this book the day it came out, much to my mistake. Nothing of substance happens in this book, as Hughie spends most of his time speaking to an old Englishman about his feelings, trying to run away from his problems only to be confronted by them on his own doorstep. It is taken up mainly with him realising that he can't walk away from what he has seen, and he should confront his fears, and return to find his answers.

To be honest that is sort of the outcome of this book, but you knew that it would be the second you picked it up, which is annoying as the basic plot line is starting to be too simple and expected. Don't get me wrong, these are still great reads, but with most of the main cast not even being mentioned, you feel that we are starting to drag out a bit too far now.

Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time: 10/11
Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time: 10/11
by Robert Jordan

2.0 out of 5 stars sadly a feel of just making money seeps out of this book, 27 Nov 2012
I'm a firm believer that any reader worth his weight will try reading anything, because not trying at least two or three books in a genre means you can't rightfully say that you don't like a genre. It is why I hate listening to some red-wine-drinking, taking-weekends-in-the-Lake-District, Austin-was-a-true-heroine-believing annoyance who will sit there and look down at someone for reading fantasy because it "isn't true literacy". Those people can suck it big time. Idiots like that can sit there and look down their noses all they want because they waste their time reading some painfully depressing dull books like Crime and Punishment (come on, anyone who read that try and tell me it wasn't boring and depressing. Winter in Russia is cold and bleak, and you'll know it by the end of that book). These idiots I always ask if they have even read a decent fantasy book, and usually they laugh at me before explaining why the vintage of wine they are drinking is better than the pint of beer I'm drinking, while I contemplate if I can drown someone in a pint glass. Any of us know that a good fantasy book brings out some of the greatest minds in the literacy world, for writers are always taught to write what they know, and fantasy writers not only don't do that, but they create an entire world, with a full history, and an array of characters and creatures (well the good ones do anyway). Robert Jordan for instance has not only created a world, he has created several countries all with their own customs (obviously some of these are based on real cultures), but he has integrated these people, cultures, lands, histories, all in a fantastic story that deserves to still be an international bestseller.

Sadly we have been reading a series that has started to plummet drastically in these last few books. From Eye of the World, which is a bit corny at times with Mat acting a bit too much like Gollum for my liking (a dagger, not a ring in this book), but I must admit that by the third book we have opened up a fabulous book that has followed the protagonist, Rand, from a frightened little farm boy into a cold hearted killer, faced with madness and possible death. The third book also brings out Mat, who I would suggest is the best character of the books, and I was fully hooked. Jordan has created an array of characters that are the most enjoyable read, which I believe top George RR Martin. However as said these last few books have been beginning to drop, and this is the lowest so far.

Book 10 is set on what I had believed to be the aftermath of Rand healing the male half of the source, stopping any man who can channel from going mad, and for Perrin to be attacking the Aiel who had taken his wife, Mat to be discovering what significance Toun has to him, Egwene to attack Tar Valon, and Elayne to free her country from the siege it is under. Sadly none of this happens. Most of the book is taken up with the other characters realising that there is something happening to do with magic, but everyone seems to sort of scratch their heads and flutter a bit with nothing actually happening. Each and every character talks about what I had hoped to happen, but nothing comes of it.

Perrin, an annoying character in my mind as he still refuses to accept his role in the world, and has been bogged down from the seventh book, still with little happening in this book even though his wife has been kidnapped. Faile is captive, and talks about escaping, but doesn't do anything, but she does decide that she can't rely on Perrin, and I can't blame her, 10 books down, and the guy still can't decide if he likes using an axe or not.

Egwene spends most of her contribution of the book being tired, complaining about her maid, having every Aes Sedai believe that she is a tough Amyrlin, and talking about possibly attacking the tower. Again, a lot of talk, with mention of not being sure what all the power in the distance is, and what they should do about it. Egwene is a good character in my mind, but this book ruins every single character because not one of them really is involved in anything substantial, Egwene is probably the only one to do something, but that take 2 pages in a 800 page book. Basically that is a 0.25% of this book that is useful (see maths can be fun).

I could continue to drag this review out so I could get you used to reading a lot of dross with very little substance. Book 10 seems to be a complete waste with what little that happens to have been taken up in book 9 and 11, sadly a feel of just making money seeps out of this book, which is truly upsetting for me as this is my best argument against those idiots who think fantasy is rubbish. I enjoy WOT, and the only reason this doesn't get 1* is because it is still well written, even if it is pointless dross, but well written the same. I'm sure Robert Jordan believes that this is needed in the book, but I can't see why. Even Mat for all that I like about him does nothing in this apart from walk around a circus a few times worrying that he is going to get caught. I'm almost tempted to put down the only important part about this book so you don't waste your time reading it, but I feel I should share the annoyance I felt reading it with everyone else. I'm charitable like that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8