Profile for J. Godding > Reviews

Content by J. Godding

J. Godding

Page: 1 | 2
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Platinum Edition (PS3)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Platinum Edition (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait for More!!!, 28 Jun. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
It's Gran Turismo, and it pretty much sells itself, as anyone who has seen the screenshots of the game will testify. The graphics are gorgeous, and the physics more than good enough to call itself the 'Driving Simulator'.

However, it is mainly that; a driving simulator. There is little authentic racing to be found in the gameplay of GT5 Prologue for those serious about racing, with the AI drivers more or less programmed to drive in a procession rather than fight it with the cut-and-thrust aggression found in rival titles. The only let-up from this is the online mode where (as long as you enter a race with clean drivers and a good connection), you can finally find the good stuff! [NB: Having said that, I believe the online support has now been withdrawn with the release of the full Gran Turismo 5 game, but you may want to check that]

On that note, it is of course necessary to point out that now the full Gran Turismo 5 has been released, Prologue essentially becomes redundant, but if you find a copy for a bargain price, why not go ahead and try it out before deciding whether or not to invest in the full version. It is still a good game on itself, that will keep you occupied for a large chunk of time and feels especially satisfying if you have a decent steering wheel controller.

Try it and see what you think, but I would personally skip it and go straight for the full game!

Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo]
Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Relaxing, 28 Jun. 2011
There are a few tracks on this album that I daresay many people will recognise and enjoy, but that does nothing to distract from the rest of the album which you can quite easily sit back in a single session and absorb with ease.

With a mix of both simple and complex melodies, there is easily enough scope to keep your ears fully occupied, but it is equally good as ambient background music whilst doing other things.

If it's your type of music, you will undoutedly find it beautiful and inspiring, as so many composers of the time have a habit of doing, and I would by all means recommend you try it.

The House That Dirt Built
The House That Dirt Built

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on the Ears, but in a Good Way!, 28 Jun. 2011
Some of you will of course have heard of The Heavy way before now, but for some reason they managed to skip below my radar, cos if I'd heard them before I wouldn't have hesitated to buy right then and there! In this case, I heard 'Big Bad Wolf' on the BBC series Luther, and although that particular song isn't featured on this album, it at least introduced me to their sound and got me hunting. Eventually resulting in me buying both this and their first album Great Vengeance and Furious Fire' - which is equally as good.

For anyone who likes The Black Keys or similar, this is broadly speaking the same kind of thing, but with their own style, and a style that I like. By all means try out a few of their songs (particularly Big Bad Wolf!) before hand, but I'm hoping it does the same for you as me!

Great Vengeance And Furious Fire
Great Vengeance And Furious Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Collection from a Band I wish I'd Heard Earlier!, 28 Jun. 2011
Some of you will of course have heard of The Heavy way before now, but for some reason they managed to skip below my radar, cos if I'd heard them before I wouldn't have hesitated to buy right then and there! In this case, I heard 'Big Bad Wolf' on the BBC series Luther, and although that particular song isn't featured on this album, it at least introduced me to their sound and got me hunting. Eventually resulting in me buying both this and their newer album 'The House that Dirt Built' - which is equally as good.

Be Brave
Be Brave

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Limited Appeal, but I Love It!!, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Be Brave (Audio CD)
I first heard this band on the intro to an episode of Skins, as, I believe, did quite a few others!

But whilst I've heard some people say it has just a couple of songs they like, including the song that was on Skins (Be Brave), I have always enjoyed this genre of Southern/Garage Rock music, so all of the songs appeal to me.
I guess you probably do have to be a dedicated fan, as whilst it's got tones of The White Stripes, it certainly doesn't have the same mainstream sound or appeal that they do. I would suggest trying YouTube for a few of their songs before coming to a conclusion on whether this album is for you or not, but if very laid back garage rock is your thing, go for it!

The Very Best Of The Jam
The Very Best Of The Jam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band, great collection, great price!, 28 Jun. 2011
Classic band; everyone will have heard at least one of their songs at some point I can gaurantee it, although it is probably a genre that will have a fairly limited appeal these days.

Still, regardless of that fact, you get a lot for your money in this 'best of' album meaning if you're unsure you can give it a try without losing much.
I personally think some of the treble and bass could have done with a bit of a rebalancing, but it still sounds great and brings back many memories!

Why don't you get back in touch with your punk/mod side as well!

Tu Vuò Fà L'Americano (2001 - Remaster)
Tu Vuò Fà L'Americano (2001 - Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Please get this rather than the Remixed Version!!!, 28 Jun. 2011
I have long enjoyed this song; originally heard it in the film 'The Talented Mr Ripley' and fell in love with it immediately.
Unfortunately, since then it has been irritatingly chewed up and remixed to be heard all over the radio. I didn't mind it for a while, but eventually it drives you insane and it's soooo nice to come back and listen to this much more relaxed and enjoyable original, but with it's equally bouncy rhythm (even if in an etirely different way...)

I strongly recommend you try listening to it a few times to drive the remixed version out your head, and then you'll never go back!

Bang Bang Bang (Album Version)
Bang Bang Bang (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a song. It's retro. It's great!!, 28 Jun. 2011
If you've heard it, you know what you're getting, so there's not much point in reviewing it really. But having said that I have to put in a good word, cos it's a Mark Ronson classic, with a groovy retro beat and featuring great vocals from MNDR and Q-Tip. Plus a great video to boot, if you've seen it!
Strongly recommend at parties, with sound turned up :)

Family Guy - It's A Trap [Blu-ray]
Family Guy - It's A Trap [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Seth McFarlane
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Much the Same but Who Cares??, 28 Jun. 2011
Virtually everyone will have now heard of Family Guy at some point, and it's one of those things that seems to split people down the middle.

I'm obviously in the camp of 'love it to bits!!' and anyone who comes here to complain about Family Guy is wasting their time, cos those who get it, love it! Sure it's much of the same thing, but hell, that's no bad thing!
I used to be a huge Simpsons fan (yes, I know, another Family Guy/Simpsons comparison) and originally ignored Family Guy cos I just didn't think it was as good. But it eventually hooked me in until I was desperate for the second series not to be the last! And here we are, 9 series and several spin-offs later, and personally I find it just as fresh as it ever has been, continually pushing the boundaries of what is funny, whilst the Simpsons has stagnated and seems only to continue out of habit.

Yes, there are lots of recurring jokes and themes in Family Guy, but they always contain a new twist whilst rewarding the long-term fan for their dedication by giving them these 'in-jokes'. Perhaps this is what puts off newcomers to the series, but if that's the case, I strongly recommend you go back to the very first series and work through it from there!

Plus, the love and craft that goes into Family Guy is to be found nowhere more than in this latest chapter of the Star Wars spoof! Even the front cover is testimont to that; lovingly drawn to the style of the original movie, showing great respect for it's creators, whilst poking ever-so subtle (and often not at all subtle!) fun at the franchise.

Anyone who has enjoyed the previous chapters of this seperate feature series will find more of the same here, and if you're like me, you will only find that a good thing. Although I must say, it also helps to refresh your memory by watching the original Star Wars film before trying this to pick up the more subtle references!!
Now, go buy! :D

The Score
The Score
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars How it Should Be, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Score (Audio CD)
For many years I've been meaning to get this album and have no idea why I didn't sooner!

It's back from an era when hip hop still had meaning and soul, and it's all the better for it. I would imagine most of the people here will have been lured in by the best known and popular singles from the album - and popular for good reason! But if you like those, chances are you will equally enjoy the rest of the album, as it follows much the same vein, though with perhaps less mainstream appeal.

Wyclef Jean, Pras Michel and Lauryn Hill perfectly compliment one another, and to this day I don't personally think I've heard a female rap artist who's style I like more than Lauryn Hill. It's so refreshing to hear a female voice in a mostly male dominated genre, especially these days when all you seem to hear about in rap songs are 'bitches', which continually makes me despair at how much of the genre seemed to degenerate so quickly. And it perfectly off-sets the easily recognisable tones of Wyclef and Pras Michel.

So there we are. If you've heard any of the songs and liked them, I would strongly suggest you give the album a try, and if you haven't, well what are you waiting for? You've got a whole new genre to open up to!

Page: 1 | 2