Profile for J. Kibble > Reviews

Content by J. Kibble

J. Kibble (Southampton, England)

The Ginger Survival Guide: Everything a Redhead Needs to Cope in a Cruel Gingerist World
by Tim Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Ginger and Proud!!, 27 April 2007
Ok, I'm going to put my hands up here. I am a ginger, and I have had the micky taken out of me for this. I was given this book as a present, and I have to say that it is one of the best books I have ever read. I don't know how it would appeal to a non-ginger (Not being one!) but for all you gingers out there, this is very funny take on being a ginger and is a must have to survive 'the gingerist world' we live in.

There are some real gems in this book, the colour guide is an obvious favourite, but it also has style tips for my fellow gingers, and many reasons why we could not live in world without gingers.

If you are a ginger you will enjoy this, just don't take it seriously. If you are not a ginger, but know one, you will equally enjoy this, being able to laugh at the 'stuggles' we gingers face.

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Price: 15.62

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great, but..., 19 Mar 2007
Before we start, I have never watched any of the earlier series of Dr. Who (Before the revamp with Christopher Eccleston) but I am prepeared to admit that they could be better than the remake, but I don't know. In this series Tennant is a much better Dr. than Eccleston. He is fuunier and more light hearted than Eccleston was (Particulrly in the later part of series 1).

The trouble I found with this series was that there are to many happy-clappy bits about how great humanity is (The end of New Earth) and how great being Brittish is (The Idiots Lantern, Fear Her).I'm not trying to sound like a moner, it was just too in your face.

There are some really good bits in this series. The werewolf in Tooth and Claw is superb, and the girl in the fireplace is really clever. the reintroduction of the Cybermen was well conceved, and I loved the slang match between Darleks and Cybermen in the finale.

However, the best epidoes for me were the impossible planet, and Satans pit. The whole idea I thought was well concieved, well acted and a fresh break from being on earth.

The one thing I think though that stands out about this series is the music. I did not realise it until recently, but the music (Especially in the Cybermen and ipossible planet episodes) really make those episodes, creating a really sinister yet beautiful atmosphere.

This was a good series, and I do want to see future ones, but I only hope that they can make it a bit darker (Not much though) and less humanity/britain is soo great.

The Nightmare On Elm Street (Seven Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
The Nightmare On Elm Street (Seven Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miko Hughes
Offered by BIG Bargains
Price: 25.96

4.0 out of 5 stars This Sure aint a Nightmare!, 29 Nov 2006
I have only recently really got into Horror movies, and when I saw this pretty cheap I thought I would give it ago and get the series.

The first is, of cause, the classic. I would not put it down as one of the all time film classics, but it it still one of the better films. The graphics are, at times, a bit dated. Particulary when Freddy comes after Nancy in the alley way and extends his arms to try and get her. But other than that a pretty solid film. The ending's a bit weird to.

Part 2 - an ok film on its own, but it just does not fit in with the rest of the series. It's about a boy called Jesse who is possesed and has nothing to do with dreams. It has the feel of a film that had little time taken over the story in an atempt to just get it released.

Part 3 - My personal favorite. this film brings us back to the old style of freedy and dreams. It also brings back some ofthe original cast form the first film and has some interesting deaths. It also starts the Freddy puns which give a bit of comic relief.

Part 4 - The Dream Master. This film is a bit wierd at times. It centres around Alice who brings pepole into her dreams for Freddy to kill. Having said that, the finale is pretty cool, especially when Freddy is torm apart by all the souls he's collected.

Part 5 - This film shows the beginings of a lack of Ideas, as a rather random idea about Freddy trying to entre the world through Alice's unborn baby is used. The Freddy backstory in this film is good, but other than that the film is not as good as some of the others.

Part 6 - This film clearly shows all the signs of an idea stretched too far. set after all the kids in Springwood have been killed except one, who stumbles into an out of town home for orphaned kids which just happens to be run by Freddy's, never before mentioned, daughter. When Freddy tries to use thier dreams to break free of Springwood Father and daughter meet head to head, one last time. Again the Freddy back story in this film is good but it is struggling to keep the franchise going. The original 3D ending is on this disk (under special features) but this set does not give you any 3D Glasses. Just warning you.

New Nightmare - this film, like part 2, does not really fit in with the rest of the franchise but it is still one of the better films. Set as if Freddy became real and is stalking the son of Heather Langekamp. Some of the actors from earlier Freddy films come back as themselves the whole thing is filmed like a docudrama, prettending to be real life, with Wes Craven writing a film script of the evetns, before & after they happen, as if he'd seen them in Dreams.

Overall this is a pretty good series. there are some films in it that are wore than others(particulary in the latter part of the sieres), but on the whole most of them are ok. For a box set there are little or no special features which is a bummer (Particularly when some boxsets have more bonus features disks than actual films e.g. Aliens) and the set is missing the 2003 Freddy vs. Jason, which I also own and is as good as New Nightmare. I brought this without seeing any of the films before and liked it, so If you aere a horror fan and aint seen/got this I would advise getting it but just watch out for the weaker films.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2010 8:26 PM BST

You Took My Money and Ran
You Took My Money and Ran
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a song!!!, 29 Dec 2005
When I first heard this song, I was blown aay by its brilliance, and still a today. Although I was sad to hear that the band split up, I am glad that thier legacy lives on. One of Britians greatest and most under rated rock bands, Pala are amazing as this song shows. BUY IT!! (It is worth every penny)
P.S. Graham (Lead Guitar) ROCKS!!!

The Future is Wild
The Future is Wild
by Dougal Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Will the Future be like this?, 19 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Future is Wild (Hardcover)
An interesting look into what a humanless future might look like. Interesting creatures, not sure whether they will come to pass but still a good companion to the fantistic series.

Marvin's Magic Great British Coin Trick
Marvin's Magic Great British Coin Trick

3.0 out of 5 stars Making Magic, 19 Sep 2005
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
Difficult to master, but once you've got it you will amaze people for hours.

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Harry's finest hours., 19 July 2005
After the order of the peonix, that was not only too long, but a tad obvious, I was hoping that this book would be better. And it was.

BUT this book is much darker tan any of its predecessors, darker and violent. With the number of people who go 'missing', the living dead, and a spell that causes nasty wounds to its victim, i would not advise reading it to young children.

Having said that there is alot of romance, (One very unlikely couple), some comical moments and alot about Voldermorts past, which is interesting.

It is very exciting, and fast paced but lacks the plots of the first five because Rowling spends too much time setting herself up for the seventh book.

The ending is sad and unnaturally dark and violent and, without giving it away, the half blood prince is a bit disapointing (Considerinrg it is in the title), and like the order of the peonix and goblet of fire, another title would be more apropriate. Harry's resolve at the end is disappointing, but sensible, considering the amount of stuff that needs to happen in the seventh book.

There are many twists and turns in this book, and some loose ends are tied up. But at the same time more mysteriess are created leaving us wanting to find out what happens in book seven.

This is a very good book, one of the best yet, but it does have its downsides.

Steeleye Span - The Very Best Of
Steeleye Span - The Very Best Of
Price: 4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Steeleye Span Rock!!, 3 May 2005
I have been listening to Steeleye Span since I was a kid, and now at 16 they are one of my favourite bands. They mix folk with rock like it was childs play. Many of thier songs tell stories, some of death, but I still love them. Steeleye really are one of the forfathers of folkrock and this CD is a real tribute to them.
There are however three songs missing from this list, they are
1. Long Lankin
2. Marrowbones
3. Bedlam Boys
But aprt from that this is one of the best CDs I have ever brought. Whether you are into folk, rock, or just want to listen to somthing different, I would strongly advise listening to Any Steeleye Span CD, especially this one!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2009 11:07 PM GMT