Profile for Maggie > Reviews

Content by Maggie

Maggie (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Death on Account (The Lakeland Murders Book 3)
Death on Account (The Lakeland Murders Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good series, 5 Feb. 2014
Having now read several of this series I do enjoy them and I feel the characterisation and the plots are very good. I would recommend to anyone who likes the police procedural and plenty of action that is not too far fetched or indeed gory! A small point - it's not possible to have a new set of number plates made up - at least in any reputable shop - without a vehicle registration document showing the correct registration number. So the false plates purchased later in the book could not have been acquired in the type of store described - this change in the law occurred several years ago for obvious reasons.

SNOW! (SNOW TRILOGY Book 1)
SNOW! (SNOW TRILOGY Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very different but believable approach to the apocalypse, 31 Jan. 2014
Just imagine that the relentless rainfall we have suffered recently in the UK (winter 2013/14) had been snow. A few years ago this might well have been the case. It would have needed only to be a few degrees colder and we might have been in the scenario portrayed in Snow! Forget for a moment the sometimes poor editing, the possible shortfalls in characterisation and consider what would really happen in the UK if this weather event arose. I for one would not be putting any faith in the "authorities" - look at how badly they have dealt with a bit of flooding in the west country, eventually turning out the army in a cynical PR exercise. Ryan Clifford may not be the world's best writer but he has captured the true implications of such an event and one can only believe in the outcomes he has described. Chilling indeed - and don't expect any help from the government. I look forward to the inevitable but eagerly anticipated sequel - to be titled Thaw! perhaps?

Phase Four
Phase Four

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just about OK, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Phase Four (Kindle Edition)
No characters you care about - that's always a mistake I think. The plot is OK and you do want to know the ending but there is a lot of pointless action that comes over more like a screenplay than a novel, as if the author is looking for the movie contract. I wouldn't hold out too much hope - although I have seen worse films lately!

Past Imperfect #2
Past Imperfect #2

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story often spoiled by poor editing, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Past Imperfect #2 (Kindle Edition)
The premise of this novel is intriguing and unusual. I have no complaints about the storyline, the length of the book, the writing style in general nor the interweaving of the two stories - that of Eyran and that of the French murder case. I found it a gripping read and all the elements were essential to the plot. The French story is undoubtedly the better part of the book and it forms the greater part of the novel. The Provencal setting in the 60s is well described and redolent of the air of menace that I remember from my own visits to Marseille in the 60s as a student of French. It was an exciting but dangerous place then and to a great extent still is. I can smell the Pastis and Gitanes! The PLR element also fascinated me, due to experiences of my own in this field. So ten out of ten for the story, the tension, the realism and the satisfying denouement. I recommend it as a thoroughly good read.

Now to the negatives. Call me pedantic if you like, but the editing is pretty poor. Misuse of words, incorrect spellings, these detracted seriously from the novel for me. Admittance for admission;hesitance for hesitation; bandstanding for grandstanding;Citreon for Citroen (Amazon won't let me put in the accent); and many more. Even the name Eyran jarred - is this a phonetic version of Aaron? I might be prepared to forgive these errors in a self-published amateur effort but from a journalist and full time published novelist they are not acceptable. I suppose I already supplied the clue to my age in my reference to the 60s. This standard of editing is sadly what we can now expect from a generation not schooled in the niceties of grammar and lexicography!

American Crow (The Missing Series Book 1)
American Crow (The Missing Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Have to admit it's a good read -but far-fetched, 8 Jan. 2014
I could not stop reading this book and had to know the ending, even though it annoyed my most of the way through as being incredibly far-fetched, with a few too many coincidences and lucky escapes. Not sure I would read this author again but it was a good read for a freebee.

The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)
The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 8 Jan. 2014
Certainly a different kind of story with a different kind of heroine. I don't know how true to life it is in terms of describing autistic episodes but it seemed authoritative and this certainly added to the interest. Enjoyed it a lot and went on to buy the sequels. All the characters are well-drawn and, although unusual, are very believable. Unlike many crime novels I've read recently nothing seemed too far-fetched either. You do want to know what happens and don't want to put the books down. I'd have liked a bit more description of Strasbourg as it's such a lovely city but most of the action wouldn't have allowed for it, I suppose. Great stuff in summary, look forward to more.

Luminarc Toffee/ Ice Cream Sundae Dish, Pack of 6
Luminarc Toffee/ Ice Cream Sundae Dish, Pack of 6
Offered by deals-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good item and safely delivered, 29 Nov. 2013
I am pleased with this set, they are robust bu still attractive. I really only wanted four but that's OK. Mine were very well packed - lessons learned? - and I had no breakages as did some other people.

A Return Ticket
A Return Ticket

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in 24 hours - excellent book, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: A Return Ticket (Kindle Edition)
This is a genre that I love to read but am often disappointed - not this time. This novel had shades of Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" which was also set in Australia - I'd be very surprised if the author hadn't read Shute's book and anyone who hasn't read his books really should. That aside, this was a gripping story, generally well written and not too badly edited. The characters develop well during the course of the book and you care about what happens to them. The ending is frustrating in that we don't learn the genesis of the "apocalypse" nor the ultimate fate of the characters but personally I would rather wait for a sequel and the chance to read a whole new book, than have the author rush to bring the story to a conclusion in the one volume. Just hurry up with that sequel please!

Soft Neck Collar Size One
Soft Neck Collar Size One

5.0 out of 5 stars Looked everywhere for this, 9 Sept. 2013
This is a very simple product but if you have wrenched or strained your neck then it is invaluable, especially to support your neck while sleeping. I had one similar years ago but when I strained my neck a few days ago I could not find it nor could I buy one in the pharmacy or even in Boots the Chemist. Just thought I would have a look on Amazon and there it was! So very pleased indeed.

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it, 31 Aug. 2013
The first quarter of this book almost turned me off but I decided to persevere. Then the odd strands started to come together and it resolved into a pretty good read. I could almost believe it was a second rate Ruth Rendell - not the Wexford novels, but in the style of the one-offs from Rendell's earlier career - probably due to the detailed London settings and slightly strange and disturbed characters. I do feel the author over-stretched herself in the early chapters and didn't quite pull off what she was hoping to achieve but it is a fair attempt. I did notice quite a lot of grammatical errors that got past the editor or proof reader though and this sort of carelessness I find extremely annoying.Overall I found it a worthwhile and engaging read and recommend you stick with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19