Profile for John Speed > Reviews

Fire It Up - Live [Blu-ray]
Fire It Up - Live [Blu-ray]
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb legacy for the great late Joe Cocker!, 13 Feb. 2015
What a terrific concert, the late great Joe Cocker with a superb band, well recorded and filmed. Joe on fine form, this a a great legacy. I'm sorry I missed him when he was in Luxembourg.

Troubadour
Troubadour

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic J.J.Cale, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Troubadour (Audio CD)
Marvellous stuff, can't imagine why I did not buy it earlier. One of his best records, not a duff song on it.

Bartok: Violin Concerto, Rhapsodies 1, 2
Bartok: Violin Concerto, Rhapsodies 1, 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Bartok!, 23 Sept. 2013
This is one of a number of top class performances of Bartok's 2nd violin concerto recently, I have acquired them all and would not be without any of them. Kelemen's performance is full of vitality, with much more than just brilliant technique, and he is superbly supported by Kocsis and his Hungarian players. My only gripe is that this Hungaraton hybrid SACD does not play on my old but audiophile quality Proceed cd player, I can only play it by ripping it (having to enter all the metadata manually!) and streaming it through my Linn Klimax DS. But it was worth the trouble!!

Violin Sonatas 1 & 2, Sonata for Solo Violin
Violin Sonatas 1 & 2, Sonata for Solo Violin

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness me, what performances!!, 23 Sept. 2013
Explosive playing of these brilliant pieces by superb musicians, no wonder that it has been an award winner. I bought this together with Kelemen's performance of the Bartok violin concerto, another extraordinary performance. As I commented there, I had a problem to play this Hungaraton hybrid SACD on an old but very high quality cd player, I had to rip it and stream it through my digital streamer. But I still give it 5 stars!!

Mahler: Symphony No.8 [plus bonus DVD]
Mahler: Symphony No.8 [plus bonus DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the performance, but one star docked for confusing presentation, 23 Sept. 2013
This is a very good performance indeed by Jansons and the RCO of this majestic work, but the RCO Live label have created a lot pf confusion with the way they have packaged it. There is a full SACD version with a bonus Blu-ray disc which I purchased first, not seeing that it was not a hybrid SACD (Amazon provide that information, but it is lost in the detail, and should be better highlighted) and not playable on my cd player. I was surprised, I have bought lots of SACD recordings which are hybrids, and which have a cd layer that plays without problem. I returned the package to Amazon, and purchased the SACD version of the performance with the DVD bonus disc, understanding that that SACD was hybrid. After all, why issue two packages with the same SACD that cannot be played on most people's equipment? So I was a bit fed up to find that my second purchase would also not play on my cd player (an old Proceed very good high-end piece of kit). But dBPoweramp was able to rip the disc (I had to enter all the metadata by hand) So I can stream the music through my Linn DS.
There is a simple cd available, but without the bonus DVD! That really is is rubbish marketing, RCO Live really should do better.

Three Classic Albums Plus (Stan Tracey Showcase / Little Klunk / Jazz Inc)
Three Classic Albums Plus (Stan Tracey Showcase / Little Klunk / Jazz Inc)
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant early Stan Tracey, 23 Sept. 2013
Stan Tracey is the most outstanding jazz musician and composer in the UK and one of the best in the world. I have followed his work since the 1960's, and it is marvellous to have this excellent value collection of early records with some superb performances. Lots of musicians here that I used to see at the university jazz club and at various festivals. It is great that there are dedicated people out there re-issuing performances by greats like Stan, Tubby Hayes, Mike Osborne. And I for one am glad that we can buy them through Amazon!!