Profile for Ozymandias > Reviews

War [DVD]
War [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jet Li
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Typecast action hero double but well "executed" (sorry!!), 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: War [DVD] (DVD)
I hadn't heard of this and came across it cheap in a shop. Now - you couldn't find two more typecast action heroes than Jet Li and Jason Statham, both of whom really only usually play caricatures of themselves. The day before watching this I had seen "Unleashed" with Jet Li in it, and the fights in that were very poorly done. In War, the set pieces and fights are excellently constructed.

"War" was a breath of fresh air. Jet Li is the enigmatic bad guy, and when he needs to fight he does it in some style, martial arts (of course) plus guns, samurai swords etc. Jason Statham is obsessed with finding and killing him after the murder of his partner with his wife and child.

Jet Li is brilliant, always one step ahead (or five) of both the Yakuza and the Triads whom he plays off against one another, so we have the personal "war" and the street crime gang "war" going on. His effortless ruthlessness we cannot imagine Jason Statham getting near, though of course we do expect good to triumph over evil.

But, all the best films have a great twist and things, as ever, are not quite as they seem.

Great boy scout adventure with great action.

Unleashed [DVD]
Unleashed [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jet Li
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bits bad bits., 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
Well, there are some redeeming features to this in that parts of the story are quite original. The "dog" control thing, the links with music particularly the piano. Jet Li gets to act a bit rather than just fight. But, the fight scenes themselves are unconvincing and poorly co-ordinated. Bob Hoskins' character is fun, Morgan Freeman gets virtually no acting to do. Average.

The Chamber [DVD] [1997]
The Chamber [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Chris O'Donnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Another tour-de-force show of Hackman's skills., 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Chamber [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I'm not a massive fan of John Grisham really. I felt that Runaway Jury was probably the best of the adaptations of his novels that I've seen. Of course Gene Hackman was in that as well, though in that he was a ruthless and brash bully-boy type, more akin to his Little Bill in Unforgiven, while this his role is meatier and more multi-faceted than we expect when we first make his acquaintance.

I don't tire of watching him because he never disappoints me, he plays heavyweight characters that are only matchable by the likes of Al Pacino, Robert De Niro (some years ago, he does all sorts of rubbish nowadays) and Russell Crowe. It's such a shame Gene has retired and now writes books himself. Anyway, as ever, the scenes he appears in are electric as usual. Cantankerous bigoted Klansman that initially comes across as one-dimensional, but as the story continues there is pathos as we are led through the inbred racism of the KKK so that he never had a chance of becoming a rounded human being. By the time he became a young adult it was in his blood.

He discovers himself more and more through interaction with Chris O'Donnell's idealistic lawyer/grandson, who believes there is good in him underneath and there is. Hackman handles the rough (a brilliant scene with his brother towards the end, plus the odd dismissive growl at O'Donnell) and the softer side that we see come through in the last 20-30 minutes with absolute conviction. He has such a pedigree of playing powerful characters (Mississippi Burning, The French Connection, Unforgiven, Crimson Tide, Enemy Of The State, Runaway Jury, Class Action, The Firm, etc etc etc) that whilst I am tempted to say this is one of his best performances, so are all the others!

Keeps us guessing right until the final minute, I refuse to spoil but almost certainly others will have done, some people can't help themselves.

Really only a 3 star film, the 4th is because of Gene Hackman stepping up and commanding the whole thing. As ever.

Spy Game [DVD] [2001]
Spy Game [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and clever on many levels, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Spy Game [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
You can pretty much rely on Tony Scott for a great action movie (Top Gun, Man On Fire, Crimson Tide, Enemy Of The State etc) and to boot in Spy Game both Robert Redford and Brad Pitt are both on top of their game ('scuse pun).

It's a fairly standard story of top brass CIA people doing underhand things and a good guy in their midst. Robert Redford is the "hero", Brad Pitt his old protege that he recruited and trained and worked with for years, but because of fears over big trade deals with China they are wanting to hang Brad Pitt out to dry. Robert Redford is having none of it and he has a whole career collection of contacts and experience which keeps him a few steps ahead of the schemers, he knows the "Spy Game" inside out.

You expect a standard happy ending, but watching the manoeuvres makes the whole film great fun and the script is fantastic as well. Many of the scenes are brilliant and Redford is absolutely superb. I should have watched it years ago.

Spotlight [DVD] [2016]
Spotlight [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Michael Keaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and explosive - and basically all true. Riveting., 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Spotlight [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
Wow, was it only 2002 that all the nasty, intentionally covered up, therefore condoned, disgusting secrets of the Catholic Church became public knowledge? It seems to have been in my mind for many more years.

Loved the trailer for this, was hooked on seeing it especially when I saw that it had won the Best Picture Oscar. My girlfriend's birthday came along so I cheekily bought it for her (but she wanted to see it too plus I bought other presents too haha).

Great actors, I'm a fan of Mark Ruffalo anyway, and yes it was a very enjoyable watch.

I have absolutely no idea why the Catholic Church exists any more. Despite my atheism and therefore disbelief in any god in any religion, this behaviour transcends into pure evil - and why every single supporter of the church hasn't deserted and taken sledgehammers to every ornate building is beyond me.

Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and profoundly tragic, 18 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Atonement [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
An average of 3 and a half stars for this from reviewers? Well, I cannot believe that.

Had heard of this of course, but since I am not a fan of 1) period drama, 2) films specifically set in wartime, and 3) Keira Knightley since I don't find her acting skills up to much - I hadn't got round to watching it, wasn't bothered. But then a friend of mine whose opinion I value highly told me it was one of his favourite films/books (yes a man that still finds time to read!!) and I was swayed to watch it.

Expecting some kind of classic schmaltzy love story I wasn't prepared for what hit me. The way that the story is told in the jumping around in time and the way that we are not clearly told which scenes are "real" and which are imagined, doesn't exactly confuse us but it does mean that until the final few minutes we are cleverly misled.

When the truth at last is revealed I have to say that it broke my heart, I think it is the most tragic an outcome that I can ever remember in a movie. The three main characters, in their own ways, have led the most tragic of lives.

Anyone that managed to rate this below 5 stars, I cannot comprehend how. A profoundly beautiful and tragic story.

Case 39 [DVD]
Case 39 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Renee Zellweger
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Few surprises, 15 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Case 39 [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen a trailer that showed some promise, I decided I'd go for this. Unfortunately, as I feared, it is not a big deviation on the "possessed child" genre. That is not to say it has no merit, though without a doubt the best two recent films I know like this are Orphan and Whisper. I suppose one has to accept that The Exorcist and The Omen started it all off but that was such a long time ago that I almost forget them but both of them are excellent horror movies too.

There are good scenes in particular that with Bradley Cooper, his conversation with Lily and that in his bathroom - the theme of the "phone calls" - but eventually it deteriorates into normal final third battles that really hold no surprises at all, so no twists or clever screenplay. Unless you are a serious horror rookie I would say that chances are you will be somewhat disappointed not to be scared much at all.

Road House [DVD] [1989]
Road House [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Patrick Swayze
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars More fights required!, 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Road House [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
It's a good ride. Good story mostly well handled. Have to stop at 4 stars because 1) the love story part is way too soppy, and 2) not enough fights! The ones we do see are quick and clinical (as the best cooler in the business would be) and I just wanted to see more of it. As it is, it's still enjoyable.

Rebound
Rebound
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Rebound (DVD)
I really enjoyed this, it's less than an hour and a half and it has no graphic torture - everything that happens is actually quite unpleasant but more suggested than shown. Ashley James plays her part excellently, the slow pace of the first half sets things up really well, and the bartender and the captor are brilliant characters also played well. The very last minutes are a nice twist as well, just when it looks like ending like a thousand other such films, it doesn't. Memorable.

The Devil's Business [DVD]
The Devil's Business [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Gordon
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Lowest budget film ever made? And it shows., 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Devil's Business [DVD] (DVD)
Made on a budget of about a fiver, makes no sense at all, almost everything that happens the film makes no effort to explain in any way. It needed to be twice as long and a lot more care taken over the structure and the script. Some extremely sympathetic reviews and I disagree with them all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20