Profile for Harry Bosch > Reviews

No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller
No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller
by Harry Markopolos

5.0 out of 5 stars the business/finance role models !, 10 Feb. 2015
Harry realised eventually that many people/organisations knew that Bernie was not legit, but they all turned a blind eye. This week, 9th february 2015, we are being told about the role of the HSBC bank in tax evasion with their private clients in Switzerland.We only found out because of a whistleblower.
Over the last few years I have read many books about corporations, economics/finance and tax evasion. It has made for grim reading. Is there a market that has not been fixed ? Is there a major political party that refuses funding from these corporations ? Remember the old proverb - "he who pays the piper, calls the tune."
Is there now any major difference between organised crime and what these guys get up to ?
Keep on searching for the bad guys Harry ; I am sure your work will never dry up.
Suggestions for reading : "Treasure Islands", books by Ha-Joon Chang, "the great tax robbery" by Richard Brooks and subscribe to Private Eye magazine to keep up to date with all the new revelations about wrong-doing in the business/financial nexus.

Lincoln Hunters
Lincoln Hunters
by Wilson Tucker

4.0 out of 5 stars time travel yarn, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lincoln Hunters (Paperback)
Like most other reviewers, I was alerted to this book by the reference to it in 22.11.1963 by Stephen King.
I love time travel stories and this one kept me well entertained until the last couple of pages. There was no real twist to the ending, which I found disappointing.
However,I thoroughly enjoyed the way the story developed and I would recommend this book for all enthusiasts of this genre.

The Cosmic Winter
The Cosmic Winter
by Victor Clube

5.0 out of 5 stars read at a sensible price, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Cosmic Winter (Hardcover)
This is a must-read book for anyone interested in discovering the links between
comet impacts/near misses and the history of collapses in civilisations.
The other reviews give a detailed summary of the evidence.
The problem is finding this book at an affordable price -I came across a
free e-read at scribd.com.
I would also recommend books by the dendrochronologist, Mike Baillie -"From exodus to Arthur", and his book linking the plague to comets.

Shortcut in Time
Shortcut in Time
by Charles Dickinson

4.0 out of 5 stars time travel fun, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Shortcut in Time (Paperback)
I am a sucker for time travel stories which are based around normal everyday lives, with characters
struggling to come to terms with their new situation.

This was a fun tale and I was absorbed with the characters and the storyline.
I read it through in three sittings.

However, I have to agree with some other reviewers about the very rapid denouement. There should have been more linkage and storytelling to the incident that kicked the book off-the drownings. I am going to with-hold a star because of this.

It was still a great read.
Now read "Replay" by Ken Grimwood and "Timescape " by Greg Benford

Free At Last! Diaries 1991-2001
Free At Last! Diaries 1991-2001
by Tony Benn

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony Benn diaries 1990s, 16 May 2013
Wow ! I have always respected Tony Benn but this is the first time I have read one of his diaries.
A great insight into the loss of democracy in the UK, with both major parties now controlled by big business, and enslaved to the far-Right American world view.(Also,a delightful insight into the daily private world of Tony Benn and his family; -the poignant account of the death of his wife, Caroline, brought tears to my eyes ).

In the 1960s, my parents always warned of a return to 1920s Tory policies and were always wary of the power of the big banks. Like Tony Benn, they were right to be worried. Who would have thought we would end up again with Cabinets composed of so many millionnaires?

Privatisation and so-called free markets (in reality-collusive markets run by big business), allied with austerity measures on the workers now make many of us realise the benefits of the good working conditions we had in earlier decades--mostly given by Old Labour.

We really need more conviction politicians like Tony Benn, but New Labour cannot deliver them, as Tony clearly tells us.

Read this book and open your eyes to the fact that you are being exploited by big businees and misled by the national media -not really a free press, just a corporate media.(Then also read Chomsky,John Pilger,Seamus Milne,Danny Dorling,"Treasure Islands" book and websites like medialens.org)