Profile for Class of 1984 > Reviews

Content by Class of 1984

Class of 1984 (Cheshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Jealousy in Relationships: 50 Must-Know Facts that Cure Jealousy, Envy, Anger, and Insecurity in a Relationship and Marriage

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite short, but still useful, 2 May 2014
It didn't take me long to read this, but it has several good points to help combat those negative feelings.
As a male reader, I found it slightly irritating / distracting that much of it was written as though the author is talking to a female. Still, it's been somewhat helpful

Happiness: How to Stop Feeling Depressed, Hopeless, Lonely, Sad and Be Happy (How To Be Happier Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise and useful advice, 1 May 2014
Divided into 51 very short sections, with no obvious structure. But that doesn't seem to matter - in fact, it works well. It's easy to dip into, and I found it to be helpful - I've not got the patience to read a long book!

Samsung UE32EH5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not perfect, 20 July 2012
This is the first flat panel TV we've ever purchased, after sticking with CRTs for years.
I was initially horrified by the picture quality using the factory default settings and all the presets.
People looked like their faces were made of plasticine - the picture contrast was too high, and colours were over-saturated.
However, after several rounds of adjustments, and turning off pretty much all the "enhancements", I ended up with a very good, natural picture. There are still some scenes that occasionally lack detail in very bright areas. But in general, I'm now happy with the picture.

Sound is loud and clear, especially considering the small size of the speakers.

Freeview HD looks good, and the EPG is nice to use.
Standard definition pictures are fine, as are DVDs played via the SCART input.
I also tried playing a couple of different video files on a USB stick, which worked well.

In summary:
+ Good picture, once you've got it adjusted
+ Good sound for a flat panel TV
+ Everything I've tried works as expected

- No proper power switch, (but standby consumption is negligible compared to things like my cable TV box)
- More HDMI inputs would have been nice
- Default picture settings give an "over cooked" picture

[I had also complained about the lack of bass and treble controls for sound, but Mr Sensible's comment below told me where to find this option!]
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 7:56 PM BST

Apple 13 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.7GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics)
Apple 13 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.7GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop I've ever used, but there are some niggles, 20 May 2012
I agree with most of what's said in the 5 star reviews here, so I won't bother repeating everything.

Good:
+ Very light and easy to handle

+ Good screen

+ Excellent track pad - I didn't think I'd like the new way of scrolling in Lion, but after a few hours there was no going back. I hate using other laptops now!

+ Excellent battery life - typically over 5 hours working with xcode / browsing the web etc

+ I like the magnetic power connector

+ Quiet (but not totally silent - there's a small fan)

+ Fast. Generally, the fast solid state drive more than makes up for the slightly slower processor.

Bad:
- The super-thin metal case is slightly sharp at the front, near the trackpad.

- The apple logo on the back lets ambient light through to the screen, so sometimes you can see the apple logo!
However, this is almost never a problem in practice.

- WiFi does not always connect at start-up or out of sleep - hence 4 stars.
I have to switch WiFi on and off 5-10 times sometimes.
Apple support couldn't fix it and told me I needed to reinstall the operating system - on a brand new machine!
I'm not prepared to do that, as I don't believe it will help.
I believe it's bug in the driver. Searching the web shows I'm not alone with this problem.
(I have 6 other devices that use my WiFi without problems.)

I'd still recommend it to anyone though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 9:39 PM BST

Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner
Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner
Offered by Kikatek

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but avoid if you care about resolution accuracy / aspect ratio, 19 Feb. 2012
I got this to scan a few more old family photos that turned up after I'd sold my Epson V700. (Doh!)

I like the faster warm up compared to the V700.

It does a decent job. I've scanned maybe 40 negatives and 300 prints.

As with the V700, the results are not as sharp as I'd have liked.
It's also pointless using very high resolutions.
600dpi is probably the limit for normal sized prints.
2400dpi for negatives / slides.
Going much beyond those settings doesn't really extract any more information.
You just end up with huge files and slow scanning.

However, by chance, I discovered something really annoying.
When scanning at 600dpi, the actual resolution is about:
594.54dpi across (X)
599.11dpi along (Y)

This means that people will appear slightly thinner for "normal" orientation when the scans are viewed on a screen or printed.
And if you rotate 90/270 before scanning, people will appear slightly fatter instead.
It's not huge, but it's noticeable, especially if you scan both ways on and compare them.

Looking at some scans done by the V700 reveal that it looks like it had the same problem!
However, an old Canon 3200F that I used about 7 years ago was spot-on, but with poorer colour accuracy etc.

Interestingly, I found someone else complaining about similar / worse problems with a V200 here:
[...]

Most people probably won't care, but I wanted to let you know.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 11:54 AM BST

Anthology: The Ultimate Collection
Anthology: The Ultimate Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait this long to get it?, 19 Feb. 2012
At the time of writing, it seems Amazon UK don't think it deserves to have a track listing.
So here it is (copied from amazon.com):

1. Someone Like You
9. The Flight
10. Fall in Love
11. Feel So Good
12. Revelation

I bought the CD mainly for "I'm the One", and, for me, it was worth it for that track alone.
It's just so uplifting, with a great groove, wonderful vocal harmonies, and I love the way the synth riffs fit in with everything else.
I remember listening to that track on Ray Rose's radio show over 20 years ago.
My other favourites are No Place to Go, Someone Like You, Feels So Good and The Flight.
No Place to Go is a touching song that is quite involving. I also like it's snappy bass line!

It all still sounds fresh today.
They really deserve much more recognition.

Smart Lunar 35 Lux Front Light with 1/2 Watt Rear
Smart Lunar 35 Lux Front Light with 1/2 Watt Rear
Offered by Webbasket

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set of lights, 19 Feb. 2012
I needed some lights, mainly for built-up areas with streetlighting.
After some research, I chose these.

They are bright enough for my needs. Fitting was easy.
I prefer the always on settings, not flashing.

The front mainly generates a bright narrow beam, which I find perfectly usable, when aimed correctly.
It also produces a small amount of general "background" illumination.
I've not tried it in total darkness, but I feel confident that it would be fine.

The rear is brighter than I expected, no problems there.

My only complaint, and the reason for 4 stars instead of 5, is that the ON/OFF switches could be a little easier to use, expecially while wearing gloves.
The front switch is not too bad - a rubbery button that is slightly recessed, mounted on top.
The back is harder to operate, as you effectively have to deform the plastic case slightly to operate an internally mounted switch on the bottom.
Having said all that, now that I've got used to it, I can operate both switches while wearing gloves. But it could have been better.

Overall, I would recommend this set, unless you've got very weak hands for the rear switch.

Sonos CONNECT:AMP - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly ZP120)
Sonos CONNECT:AMP - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly ZP120)

3.0 out of 5 stars This one works! (Beware of radio listen again though), 27 Sept. 2011
[Original review September 2011]
My wife bought one recently but it was dead on arrival!

We already had a ZP120 and ZP90, so we knew what to expect.
And when I say it was dead, I mean completely dead!

So she returned it and got a full refund.

Anyway, I took a chance by ordering another one, and we've finally got our second working ZP120.

Despite the above problem, I'm still a fan of the system.
It is very quick and easy to set up.

It works particularly well if you have a NAS or any sort of file server that's always on.
That way, you don't have to wait for a computer to start up before you can listen to your music.

For a controller, I have tried an old Windows laptop, an iPod Touch, and a Windows netbook. They all work well.

As others have said, you need at least one Sonos device to be wired to your network / router, because Sonos uses its own proprietary wireless network. The advantage of this is that, with multiple players, you can play music in more than one room, and have it perfectly synchronised. (You can also play different music in each room, or group multiple players however you like.)

The radio feature is fun - it provides a simple and convenient way to listen to internet radio stations from around the world. Play a station from, say, Phoenix Arizona in your living room with a few taps on your controller!

You can also use it to search for radio shows and "listen again".

I use a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers as I've not got much room, and I'm satisfied with the sound quality. I tend to switch on the Loudness control which boosts bass and treble at low volumes to compensate for the way the human ear works. I also often apply a little bass boost - or a lot, depending on the type of music!

There are one or two minor irritations with the iPod touch app, e.g. you can't always go back to the previous screen, and it can take a few seconds to reconnect to your WiFi network and find the Sonos devices.

But I still think it's the best system out there at the moment.

[Added 24/5/2012]
Most of the time when I try and listen to an old radio program, it says "unable to connect to radiotime". Tech support can't seem to fix it. Live internet radio is OK.

[Added 2/9/2012]
Someone's been hard at work improving things - it now fails just as much, but says "unable to connect to TuneIn", instead of "unable to connect to RadioTime"...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 8:59 PM GMT

Garmin Nuvi 1390T 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Europe Maps
Garmin Nuvi 1390T 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Europe Maps
Offered by SuStuu

2.0 out of 5 stars One step forward and two steps back, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought this to replace my old Garmin Nuvi 205.
I spent a while trying to decide whether to ignore the negative reviews and go for it, or to just update the maps in my old unit. I really wanted the improvements, such as speaking the street names etc. What a mistake.

I updated the software to 5.40 and the maps (to 2012.20 I think) as soon as I got it.

If you just typed in the destination and let it calculate a route, it worked OK.

However, on my old 205, I could drag the map around manually and zoom in and out quickly - it only took a second or two to redraw the screen.
On the new 1390, doing that made the screen go white and it could take up to 1 minute each time to redraw!
It also switched itself off a number of times while it was struggling to draw the map.
Also, Waypoints / favourites that I'd added using the MapSource software did not show the correct symbol - they only showed as a black dot. But sending the same data to the old 205 showed the correct symbol.

So I sent it back.
I looked at other Garmin reviews, and TomToms, but I can't identify a single SatNav product that I'm confident would work reliably.
So I'll just update the maps on my 205 and do without all the latest features for now. Speed and reliability is better than extra features.

Sonos CONNECT - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly ZP90)
Sonos CONNECT - The Wireless Hi-Fi (formerly ZP90)

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and use, but radio listen again is unreliable, 31 May 2011
[Original review from 31/5/2011]
I had this up and running within about 20 minutes.

+ Good sound quality
+ Easy to use and intuitive - no need to read the manual
+ Easy to set up
+ Reliable performance
+ Fast to search and start playing music
+ Free iPhone App is very good, and all you need as a controller

+/- Consumes 4 Watts when idle, which is quite low, but if you're concerned about energy consumption and you have several of them, you might want to consider switching them off at night

- Can't assign a static IP address, but I can live with that

[Added 24/5/2012]
- Most of the time that I try and listen to old radio shows, it says "unable to connect to radio time". Tech support have been unable to fix it.

Page: 1 | 2