Profile for Amazon Addict > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kandle Power, 18 Jan 2014
I bought this after despairing of the uneven light given off by cheaper flexible clip-on lights, and their instability. This fits my Mark I and my partner's Mk II Kindle very well, sitting rock solid on the top edge, with both Kindles in their cases. The light spread is even and without and flickering or the shadows that can happen with some cheaper lights. The brightness is just right, and though the intensity naturally falls off slightly towards the bottom of the screen, it is too slight to be a problem.

It folds into a neat clamshell, and a velvety case comes with it -though I am happy leaving mine permanently on my Kindle. The design means that the eyes are shaded from direct glare from the LEDs without compromising illumination of the screen
A very good product which does its job perfectly at a good price.

Le Creuset Cast Iron Square Grillit, Cerise, 26 cm
Le Creuset Cast Iron Square Grillit, Cerise, 26 cm
Price: 69.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Grill with skill, 4 Dec 2012
I have owned one of these Le Creuset Cast Iron grill pans for 3 years -and am delighted with it. I've used mine fairly heavily, mainly for steaks but also bruschetta, seared aubergines and zucchini, with great results.

The weight of this pan is very striking -the average person would need two hands to lift it securely without straining the wrists unduly. This is especially important when it is hot -and the handle (all metal) can get hot, so it's worth using oven gloves for handling in use.

The surface needs little looking after. Being a lazy beast I always stick mine in the dishwasher, and it cleans well. The lining chages to a matt appearance after a while (they do warn you about this in the instructions) but it works just as well. The enamel outer is as tough as nails and has remained looking glossy and smart all this time,

I have now bought one of these as a Chrismas present and am very confident it will last for ages.

Highly recommended,

Master Class Salad Spinner with Stop Brake Button
Master Class Salad Spinner with Stop Brake Button

5.0 out of 5 stars King of Spin, 3 Dec 2012
I have owned one of these Master Class salad spinners for a couple of years and use it several times a week. I love fresh salad leaves and prefer to wash my own -so have owned a variety of salad spinners over the years. This is far and away the best I have owned. I have bought two as gifts in the last year as well.

It is a very sturdy gadget, and sits well on any level surface. There are no holes in the outer bowl, so spun water is retained. The upside is that there is no mess. The downside is that you may need to empty the outer bowl and respin to get a really dry salad. I've found that's not really a big deal in use.

The position of the handle lends itself to a power grip of the hand and arm -so it is easier to use, I think, than spinners with handles turning in a horizonal plane. The brake works very well to slow and stop the basket -which can reach satisfyingly high speeds. At high speeds there is none of the instability and locking I have experienced with other spinners.

The only, very minor problem I have had in two years, was a loosening of the drive mechanism. I found this was caused by the slight unscrewing of a screw in the underside of the lid -once tightened there was no more slipping of cogs and loss of power.

It washes up and dries well and feels very sturdy. It has kept its looks for 2 years too.

Highly recommended.

Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus, Folding Chopping Board, Small - Pink
Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus, Folding Chopping Board, Small - Pink
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen origami, 3 Dec 2012
I have owned one of these great chopping boards for a couple of years and have just bought another as a gift and one to replace my original -finally wearing out after very heavy use (cracking along the hinged areas of the handle).

Joseph Joseph design combines good looks, funky colours, and functionality -and this product exemplifies its design principles. You can find cheaper chopping boards, but not one that's as much fun to use, or as functional. The folding aspect is very very handy for guiding chopped food into a pan or bowl. This board is the smaller of the two versions. I own the bigger one and find this smaller size more useful -it's just more handy and lighter to pick up and use.

I'm a fan of Joseph Joseph products, which, though a bit pricier than competitors, offer an edge in terms of fun and functionality that make the extra cost worthwhile.

Highly recommended

UPDATE January 2014

I have to add a negative to this review. The board I bought to replace the original had a problem -the main board leaves never sat completely flat. There was a stiffness in the hinged parts which prevented it. I waited to see if it would settle with us -it didn't. This was a major pain when chopping, as the surface never went flat. I wrestled with the board to flatten it, and broke the handle part off. It works better now, even without the handle, but I went back to using my nearly worn-out board till it fell apart. I inspected some of these in a kitchen shop and found all the boards as stiff.

I now feel sufficiently unconfident in these boards not to buy any mail-order again -I'd only buy one if I could inspect it and check there is no stiffness in the hinges.

AA

Joseph Joseph Space-saving Folding Colander (Pink)
Joseph Joseph Space-saving Folding Colander (Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars No--brainer drainer, 3 Dec 2012
I have owned one of these great gadgets for a couple of years and have just bought another as a gift. Joseph Joseph design combines good looks, funky colours, and functionality -and this product exemplifies its design principles. You can find cheaper colanders, but not one that's as much fun, or as sturdy.

The clip and unclip action to make it 3-D or flat is very positive and strong. It sits very squarely on any level surface and does the job of draining as well as any colander. The fact that it folds flat is a great space-saver and this is an ideal gift for anyone starting out independent life in small accommodation, where storage space is usually at a premium.

It washes up and dishwashes just fine.

Excellent utensil and very clever design.

Highly recommended

Smiffy'S Christmas Pudding Costume and Hat
Smiffy'S Christmas Pudding Costume and Hat
Offered by Affordable Fancy Dress
Price: 20.35

5.0 out of 5 stars So bring me some figgy pudding!, 26 Nov 2012
In 3 days I will be singing Christmas Carols in a singing group, wearing this costume, in a town centre nearby, to entertain children at the switching on of the Christmas lights. I am nervous about forgetting my words, but not about the costume, which is terrific.

I was slightly dubious about it on seeing the only pics available on it (those here on Amazon are the same as those of it from any other seller on the Internet -but in some cases up to 10.00 more expensive -outrageous!). It looked a bit saggy and not really round enough for a pudding.

I have solved the sag issue with a bubble-wrap stuffing -also great insulation for what is likely to be a cold evening. The costume is well made from thick felt. It has a velcro fastening on the back of the neck, and an elastic gather on the bottom end of it. Thus when stuffed appropriately with bubble wrap, it holds the stuffing in and bulges to a gratifying rotundness.

The hat is a nice touch.

I'm happy with this purchase which should serve me well at the forthcoming gig and should last for several more fancy dress occasions too -all at a reasonable price here on Amazon.

So bring me some figgy pudding!

UPDATE Dec 2012

This fab costume has provided hours of merriment and laughter. It survived a wet evening's singing on a street to small children, being attacked by rabid, slavering 5-year-olds intent on pulling the black spots and holly leaves off, and is ready to fight another day! It has gone down a treat whereever I wore it. Recommend sticking the leaves and white blobby bits down with velcro tabs or tacking them down, and stuffing the inside with bubble wrap to give a really good round shape worked very well. I was also very warm!

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2013 9:23 AM BST

Psion Series 7 - Colour Mobile Computer 7.7 VGA 16Mb
Psion Series 7 - Colour Mobile Computer 7.7 VGA 16Mb

5.0 out of 5 stars Still in love with Psion, 25 Nov 2012
I am a Psion diehard. More than a decade after these machines became obsolete, I am still happily running RMRBank (by Al Richey of RMRSoft) on my Series 7 -still unbeatable personal accounting software with which I have tracked my income and expenditure for the last 20 years. I still print out the summary sheets as the headers in my Income and Expenditure files for my annual self-employed tax return with this. No fancy gimmicks, no unwanted logging in to my credit card or bank accounts. It just does the job. And the Series 7 handles it perfectly.

Once upon a time I used a Psion Series 5MX Pro as my PDA, but as time as gone on and as I have aged, I have moved onto a smartphone (Blackberry Bold) as my PDA and my eyesight now makes squinting at the relatively dim B&W 5MX screen just too much like hard work to be comfortable. But for my accounts I have stuck with Psion and it still serves me well. THe Series 7 is fast and easy to use, connects with my laptop running Windows Vista, and is very reliable. I have only bought a second one because I have begun to feel insecure having only one machine. It is still a cheaper option than going to Quickbooks, and involves no learning curve -a big advantage for me as I have neither the will nor the ready time to start learning how to use a new bookkeeping/accounts programme.

The Series 7 was a remarkable machine in its day, and, though primitive by todays standards, still excels at what it does.

Such a pity Psion left the market -I ruefully wonder what might have been, given the incredible advances in memory and processor power since those heady days when they were, once, the market leaders in their field.

AA
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 12:07 AM BST

New Trent (1PC) Limir Dual Purpose Stylus/Styli for Capacitive Touch Screen Smartphones and Tablets. 2-in-1: Stylus (Micro-Knit Tip) and Fine Ball Pen
Offered by Naphos
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the bee's knees of styli, 18 Sep 2012
I bought this stylus to rise to a challenge posted on my review of the 2 x Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for iPad 1, 2 & 3, iPhone 4, HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Mobile Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pen w... stylus, which I have been very pleased with used with my Blackberry Playbook. I have given the Trent Limir a really fair trial of a few months.

Whilst the feature trumpeted by the challenger -low friction tip- certainly exists, it is not in fact all that useful. I find it creates a lack of accuracy on small target areas on the tablet screen, and slips off them too easily unless the stylus is at least almost perpendicular to the screen. A certain amount of force is needed for the screen to detect the capacitance change, and this causes the hi-tech tip of the Trent to slip quite often, when the humble rubber tip of the cheap cousin does not slip. Dragging the rubber tip across the screen is really not a problem -there is a nice positivity to the action, lacking in the Trent, which is just too slippery for my taste.

The combined biro sounds like a neat idea, but has been of absolutely no use at all. I am usually nowhere near paper when I use my Playbook. If this stylus was used for office applications on a tablet I guess the pen might be useful -but not for me. After a couple of months the rotating barrel worked a bit loose, causing the biro tip to be inadvertantly exposed a lot of the time, so I have to be careful I am not accidentally marking my clothes, my lips (resting the stylus there when deep in thought last week I inadvertently marked my face and never realised it for a while! Twit!) or even (horror of horrors!) the tablet screen. This, fortunately, has not happened yet.

It is entirely possible that the stylus performs differently on other tablets, so if that is the case, please qualify my review with a post about your experience.

Whilst this stylus looks like the bee's knees, it is not for me or my Playbook.

AA
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 8:52 PM BST

Raleigh RX1.0 3w Front and 1/2w Rear Bike Cycle Light Set
Raleigh RX1.0 3w Front and 1/2w Rear Bike Cycle Light Set
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd
Price: 13.98

4.0 out of 5 stars More searchlight than bike light, 8 Sep 2012
I bought this set really only because I wanted the front light. After looking high and low and reading lots of reviews of this and other products, I settled for this package on the basis that it offered great value on a good front light alone, with a rear light thrown in. My assessment was just right and I am very happy with my purchase -with only a few gripes (hence 4 stars).

First of all I'd like to compliment the seller., Y Frame Discounts, who were very good indeed -see my review of them as a seller in that section. They replaced a broken part very swiftly and without fuss.

The power of both lights is very good indeed. I personally dislike flashing mode and don't use it -but the front light is pretty blinding in constant mode, and even more so when it is strobing. Be sure to set the centre of the beam on the ground in front of you -it is so bright you could easily dazzle another cyclist or driver if is is aimed high. It lights a dark cliff path very well and gives me confidence for night rides after work as the evenings draw in. Definitely a light to see with as well as to be seen by. It feels very solid and robust, in metal, but is small enough to easily fit in a pocket.

The rear light is also very bright and I may end up putting it on my bike as well as the light I already have, or clipping it to me or rucksack (the clip fitting would allow clipping onto the provided clamp or anything you could clip a pen onto, more or less).

I like that the lights are very easily and swiftly detachable and that the front light makes a very powerful torch. Getting in and out of the battery compartments is dead easy.

Gripes 1: the material of the front light clips is a little brittle -take care when first using. No instructions are included, so on figuring out how to remove the front light from its holder, I snapped a part (that needs to be depressed to free the light) off. Brittleness of the parts is mentioned in other reviews too.

Gripes 2: there is sideways adjustment of the front light position, which is essential given the need to adjust the beam trajectory carefully. However on one of the two sets I bought, the screw that holds the part that rotates left or right was done up so tightly that I inadvertently snapped the part off when trying to adjust the light sideways. This might sound complicated but if you order one of these, return to this review, and look down on the holder without the light in it. You will see a cross-head screw at the front. Loosen this off a fraction of a turn and you will find that you can then twist the refitted light left and right very easily, overcoming the resistance of the ratchet easily and without damaging the holder.

Overall this set represents very good value and, providing you bear my gripes in mind, you will not be disappointed. Replacement universal torch holders are available on Amazon for under a tenner, and if I have to go on to buy one of these because of a second failure, I think I would -it would be worth it.

Recommended

AA
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 11:19 PM GMT

Tenn Fingerless Cycling Gloves/Mitts - Hi-Viz Orange/Black M (Mens)
Tenn Fingerless Cycling Gloves/Mitts - Hi-Viz Orange/Black M (Mens)

5.0 out of 5 stars Day-glo paws, 8 Sep 2012
There is no doubt these mitts are Hi-Viz. The reflectivity of the orange backs is very bright, even in the day. I like the fact that my signalling is obvious to other road users -they give me a degree of confidence for this feature alone.

They are comfortable and a little compliant. I have short but broad hands, and there is enough stretch in these to be comfortable, but not so much that they feel loose. The degree and position of the palm padding seems just right and I have had less finger numbness in these ( I am prone to it) than in other cycling mitts.

The removal loops are a great idea -but it remains to be seen how long they will last, and that also goes for their hardwearingness and longevity in general. I will report back in time on these features, but for now, they deserve 5 stars as they do all they are meant to and at a very good price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20