Profile for Amazon Addict > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1913

Amazon Addict (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Effipro for Cats (OUTER 24 PIPETTES)
Effipro for Cats (OUTER 24 PIPETTES)
Offered by VetnPet
Price: 54.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficiently effective Effipro, 2 July 2012
I have used this product on my 3 boys as a more cost-effective alternative to the V expensive Frontline. now for some 8 months. The active ingredient (Fipronil) is exactly the same, and is present in exactly the same quantity and concentration. Effipro is just as easy to apply, and seems to work every bit as well. We have had no little visitors since converting to Effipro. The cats seem to be a little less upset with me after application than they were with Frontline -but it may be my imagination, or simply resignation to fate on their part. They just KNOW when I am going to get the stuff -and they freeze now, not bolt! However they carry on as normal afterward, so maybe, just possibly, this is less pungent to them than Frontline, which perhaps uses a different carrier solvent. But that is speculative on my part so don't take it as read -but my observation remains true.

It is so much cheaper than Frontline that this deal is a no-brainer. I get through a fair bit of this stuff so this pack is only 8 months supply for me -and by far the best deal on Fipronil that I have yet found. Delivery from VetUK (a real vet in Manchester as far as I can make out) is prompt too.

Very highly recommended and equally appreciated by cats and owner!

DRAWER RUNNER MFI 28MM X 278 EXTENDS TO 452MM
DRAWER RUNNER MFI 28MM X 278 EXTENDS TO 452MM
Offered by Abrafix
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion runner!, 2 July 2012
Last week my very old MFI (or possibly Texas -remember them?) vintage 3-drawer filing cabinet failed me for the first time since I bought and assembled it... in 1989! A runner from one drawer gave up the ghost, and the bearings fell apart. Looking around I could not find a decent replacement for less than well over 100, and thought of looking for the runners only. To my amazement I found these here on Amazon and they are almost identical to the originals. Delivery was very prompt, and they arrived today a mere 2 working days after ordering.

Having not seen the inside walls of my filing cabinet for 24 years, I wasn't sure about the fitting process. I needn't have worried. These are exactly the same dimensions as the one that fell out (I did check the measurements before ordering) and the only adjustment to make was to drill three of the holes in each wall side runner half slightly larger, to acccomodate the original grub screws. This took a couple of minutes, and fitting was then logical and straightforward and took less than 5 minutes.

The filing cabinet drawer is fully functional again, and smooth as butter in operation.

I am delighted with this -and it has saved me over 100.

Highly recommended,

CEL 1.3Ah Li-ion POWERhandle Lithium LD for CELgarden PH10
CEL 1.3Ah Li-ion POWERhandle Lithium LD for CELgarden PH10

4.0 out of 5 stars Handle of power handling the power, 28 Jun 2012
I bought this battery as part of the combo kit CEL G-CP02 Powerhedge Trimmer/ Powerline Trimmer/ Powerhandle Lithium LD Combo Pack. It has performed flawlessly all season so far and is extremely easy to use. I was drawn to the combo product by a combination of good reviews and good value offered. The good value was evident in that the combined products with a shared battery cost less than the individual products with own batteries.

The Powerhandle battery is Lithium-Ion, and as such is very versatile. There is no memory issue, so you can stick it on to recharge whether only discharged a little, or a lot. Once charged, it will also hold its charge for a lot longer than NiMh or NiCd batteries. The charging unit is very clear -LEDs tell you exactly where you are with regard to charging status. THere is an LED bulb at the base of the handle, which it is easy to flick on and off inadvertently, potentially being a cause of early discharge. I am not at all sure what the need is for this LED, and find it is a bit of a nuisance -hence a star docked from this review of an otherwise excellent product.

This battery lasts well enough to strim the edges of two large lawns and trim three hedges, on one charge. For me, that's enough use (and enough work!) for one day.

Recommended.

Defender Narrow Plastic Bird and Pigeon Spikes - 10 Metre Pack
Defender Narrow Plastic Bird and Pigeon Spikes - 10 Metre Pack
Price: 28.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone for pigeon kebab?, 19 Jun 2012
This elegant solution to the problem of pooping pigeons is simple and ingenious. Like all the best inventions!

I have used these spikes in three places to stop pigeons roosting and messing everything beneath. One area is amongst rafters under a roofed outdoor pergola -Mrs Pigeon was trying to build a nest. I dimantled the empty nest at 9pm one night and by 9 am the next day she'd rebuilt it! I blocked access to the rafters with string but it looked ugly, and a persistent trail of twigs on the floor below was testament to her return efforts. I have replaced the string with the Defender spikes (fastened with silicone sealant as recommended) and there is no trace of Mrs P now.

The second area is on thick ship's rope swags overlying a decked area. Mr and Mrs P were landing only on the rope above the entrance steps, which were fouled with nasty sticky Pigeon Poop. They had 40 other feet of rope to use, but the three feet above the entrance was what they chose. I think Mr and Mrs P must have been eating epoxy resin -that stuff was hell to get off the decking. I attached the Defender Spikes with cable ties -and (after protracted scrubbing and cursing) my decking is and remains poop-free! I am so happy!! (and so are my shoulders and arms).

The third area is along the edge of a summer house roof, now looking positively crowned! Mr and Mrs P clearly had it in for me -they only roosted above the door, leaving their Pigeon Araldite on the decking immediately in front of the summer house door. No more poop by the door! Defender spikes caused Pigeon flight! Here I used galvanised screws to secure the spikes through roofing felt to the wood beneath.

The spikes are very simple to apply, and the instructional DVD has a wonderful amateur feel to it which leaves one feeling quite nostalgic in a wartime newsreel kind of a way -it is so earnest and so very British! But is is very instructional and worth watching before trying to use the spikes. They are versatile in the extreme and methods of attaching them to any surface are only limited by one's imagination.

Mr and Mrs P I think have left my property and now have found someone else to bother.

This product is very good indeed, totally humane, and highly recommended.

UPDATE A FEW WEEKS LATER

This wonderful product has saved me hours of decking-scrubbing time! I am really pleased with the simplicity and effectiveness of this invention. Really brilliant piece of applied thought!

CEL POWERhandle PH03
CEL POWERhandle PH03

5.0 out of 5 stars Handled with style, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: CEL POWERhandle PH03 (DIY & Tools)
I wrote a review on another similar product and posted it here by mistake. My apologies to anyone confused by this. A reader has kindly pointed this out to me in comments below so I will leave this up for a week or so then remove the review entirely.

AA
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 5:49 PM BST

CEL 10" (25cm) 18V CELgarden POWERline Trimmer (Naked) LT2
CEL 10" (25cm) 18V CELgarden POWERline Trimmer (Naked) LT2
Price: 39.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Trimming where others have feared to tread, 8 Jun 2012
I bought this trimmer as part of the combo kit CEL G-CP02 Powerhedge Trimmer/ Powerline Trimmer/ Powerhandle Lithium LD Combo Pack. It is superb and is doing a great job this gardening year. By far the most versatile, lightweight, and easiest to use strimmer that I have owned yet.

This strimmer is incredibly light, yet solid. I was a little worried initially that the construction was flimsy, but after several months' use I am happy that it is sturdy. Adjustment to rotate the head is easy, and head angle adjustment makes this a very versatile tool both for lawn edging work (the wheels are very handy here) and trimming along a horizontal plane. Every time the strimmer stops, it readjusts the cutting cord length, feeding in more line when needed, and this works flawlessly.

The battery is Lithium-Ion, and as such is very versatile. There is no memory issue, so you can stick it on to recharge whether only discharged a little, or a lot. Once charged, it will also hold its charge for a lot longer than NiMh or NiCd batteries. The charging unit is very clear -LEDs tell you exactly where you are with regard to charging status.

This is the lightest and easiest-to-use strimmer that I have ever used.

Highly recommended.

UPDATE JULY 1st 2012

I've been using this strimmer for over three months now, average every 6 days, and the spool has only now run out. The self-lengthening feature of the strimmer works almost perfectly. I only had to lengthen the cutting end manually once. That's pretty good for over 3 hours of total cutting time, a lot of which involves encounters with concrete, tree trunks and paving slabs.

Still happy with this product's performance and robustness.

AA
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 11:43 AM BST

iBoutique IB32GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (32GB, Chilli Red)
iBoutique IB32GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (32GB, Chilli Red)
Offered by SechsiTech
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Elite by name, elite by nature, 8 Jun 2012
I deliberated long and hard over which USB stick to buy. I have my entire CD collection in my PC -around 5200 songs. I have recently changed my car, and the new one has a USB input in the audio unit. So I wanted a stick that will hold all this music and not take a fortnight to write the files to. This stick lived up to my criteria and works perfectly in my car.

It feels nice in the hand with a tactile finish, is neat and small, won't obstruct neighbouring USB ports, and has a handy key ring attachment. The LED is informative when plugged into the PC -and lights up half the body of the stick like Rudolf the Reindeer's nose. This is fine when I am syncing music to it, but would drive me potty in the car if the stick was visible -fortunately the USB port is in a lidded compartment. This would be a negative point -but not a major one. One of more importance is that the cap does not fit on the opposite end when removed, thus making it easy to lose. Why not make this a capless stick like the Duracell or Kingston offerings?

This latter negative would have lost the stick a star, were it not for its performance -nothing short of flawless. On my aging PC with not a lot of speed and running Windows Vista, I left the FAT formatting where it was, and copied over 24 Gb of data at a steady 18Mb/second -exactly what is promised by the manufacturer. No complaints at all -the process was smooth and faultless. It works perfectly in the car, with seamless playback and the same audio quality as the files have on my PC. Performance is what these gadgets are all about, so I am leaving this review at 5 stars.

It's too soon to mention longevity, so, mindful of reviews of other sticks that claim data corruption, I'll return here in a few weeks and again after that with updates.

Overall I am very happy with my choice of Flash Drive.

Highly recommended.

AA
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2012 10:57 AM BST

UniBond Transparent Repair Tape 50mm x 25m
UniBond Transparent Repair Tape 50mm x 25m
Offered by love Office Stuffs (VAT Reg.)
Price: 7.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it taped, 8 Jun 2012
This is excellent repair tape for any outdoor application -or indoor for that matter, but it is designed for outdoor). I have used it to repair cracked greenhouse glass and to avoid having to go to the trouble of replacing the pane. It has done the job perfectly.

I used a similar product (which I think may well also be Unibond, but to be truly honest I can't remember and there is nothing on the old roll to identify it now) 8 years ago on first setting up the greenhouse, on the inside surfaces, to hold the panes together and reduce air leaks and improve insulation. It has lasted very well, and is only now beginning to peel off in places. I have no reason to believe this will be any different. There was no sign of UV-induced deterioration on the old tape, just a loss of adhesion where dirt had gradually found its way onto the adhesive surface, blown in by the wind.

Highly recommended on the basis of my experience with this roll, and very much so if as i suspect it is the same brand as my 8 year old tape -95% of which is still in place and doing its job well.

Doff 700g Organic Super Slug Killer
Doff 700g Organic Super Slug Killer
Offered by Stewart and Gibson Ltd
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The slug went glug., 8 Jun 2012
I have used Iron Phosphate-based slug pellets for the last couple of years, with great success. They are every bit as effective as their metaldehyde-containing cousins, so I don't know why the metaldehyde ones aren't banned. They are so much riskier to domestic pets, children, and garden frogs and other predators of slugs and snails on the next level up the food chain. These are very safe indeed.

This particular brand works as well as any other similar pellet, and represents good value in terms of pence per gram. Delivery to home or work is the usual Amazon bonus, saving so much time and petrol in searching for organic pellets in shops or garden centres.

The proof is in the flowerbeds: my Hostas and Arum Lilies have never looked so good!

Excellent product, highly recommended.

Update June 2013

I'm now into my second year of using these pellets, and the plants continue to do well, and all our pets are alive and healthy! I still seem to have a good population of garden frogs too so they don't seem to be harmed, which I am pleased about.

AA
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2013 10:36 PM BST

CEL 20 Inch (51 cm) 18 Volt Li-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer HT1-LI01
CEL 20 Inch (51 cm) 18 Volt Li-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer HT1-LI01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hedge trimming made easy, 7 Jun 2012
I bought this hedge trimmer as part of the combo kit CEL G-CP02 Powerhedge Trimmer/ Powerline Trimmer/ Powerhandle Lithium LD Combo Pack. I have been very pleased with it.

This hedge trimmer is a dream to use on account of its light weight. It is very easy to use in any position. Its lightness makes it very easy to use when held up at arms' length, for example when reaching up to cut the top of a hedge (and in my case, held upside-down also). It had no problem with cutting woody stems, and is just generally easy to use.

Highly recommended