ARRAY(0xb4a1ad74)

The Bible Salesman: A Novel
The Bible Salesman: A Novel
by Clyde Edgerton

2.0 out of 5 stars Meandering waste of time, 27 Oct 2013
UK male reader, mid 30's. And I really didn't enjoy this book. Or at least I didn't get on with the part that I was able to make myself read. It was not funny (an attribute that was explicitly highlighted on the cover - and nothing annoys me more than being promised laughs that don't come), the characters and situations did not talk to me, the plot never once revealed itself. I have read and enjoyed plenty of novels that put me in an unfamiliar world but those books drew me in whereas this one just one pushed me away. At the half way point I played God and spared anyone else the frustration of reading that particular copy (I threw it in the recycling).

Toshiba Satellite R830-143 Intel Core i5-2410M Processor, 2.3 GHz, 6GB, 640GB, 13.3", W7HP, Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars Light, possibly powerful, squeaky., 6 Jun 2011
I bought this laptop because it is light and around half the price of similarly powerful MacAir. I'm absolutely not a techy so I judged the power of this laptop simply by comparing it to everything else that is supposed to be lightweight (although very little is as light as this), in theory there is nothing to match it at the price. In reality I'm a bit disappointed by the speed of the machine, it still seems to spend as much time thinking as my old IBM. Worse, the keyboard feels really cheap, the keys clatter and the space bar squeaks everytime you use it. It just doesn't feel like a quality object and given the amount of time I spend sat in front of it I'm slightly regretting not getting the Mac for that reason alone.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 10:46 AM GMT

The Drift
The Drift
Price: 10.31

2.0 out of 5 stars 4 years later, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Drift (Audio CD)
This set of reviews seems to be more of a forum for people who have heard this album and who want to share their experience than a guide for people weighing up whether to buy it or not. Well I love Scott Walker and Tilt remains one of the most influential pieces of music I have ever heard but this album is, yes, four years later, still one that I just can't get through. I've tried it at night, on trains, on the M4, I've really made an effort but it simply doesn't make a difference. It just hurts my ears with its unending, tuneless meanderings. Tilt took a while before it revealed its near infinite musical depth, but this album has never got there for me and I fear it never will. Anyone who found another Tilt in there is a lucky person indeed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 6:43 PM GMT