Profile for Ms. C. Manning > Reviews

Content by Ms. C. Manning

Ms. C. Manning (Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom)

Casual Living
Casual Living
by Judith Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Artistic innovation, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Casual Living (Hardcover)
I love this book!

I'd describe it as country casual with an artistic twist. Admitedly, this creative twist isn't easy to realize - one must either be very innovative or hunt for unusal objects. However, the resulting interiors are relaxed and comfortable but with exciting, dramatic focal points, something I love.

For me, a step above the usual interior design book. Very inspiring.

Design-It-Yourself Clothes
Design-It-Yourself Clothes
by Cal Patch

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 7 April 2010
Previous reviewers are right - it doesn't cover fitting issues like adjusting for the large bust. But there are plenty of other good books covering this tricky subject in depth, such as 'Fit for Real People' and 'Pants for Real People'. But, once you have established a basic pattern that fits well, this book is invaluable for offering options to adapt the pattern to a wide range of more modern styles, basically giving you more 'bang for your buck' from one basic pattern.

I also think it's a good introduction to re-styling patterns. I have more complex and in-depth books on pattern cutting, but I find them difficult to apply to adjust a basic pattern so that the end result remains something modern and flattering enough to actually want to wear. I think this book offers a stepping stone on how such adjustments can be used in an effective way.

The book is probably best for someone with some basic dressmaking experience as I'm not sure all the instructions are in-depth enough for a complete novice. Having said that, this is definitely a book I wouldn't be without!

Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Programme for Back and Neck Pain Relief
by Mary Pullig Schatz

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief from migraine, 15 Jun. 2008
I've been plagued with severe migraines for the last 20 years. Typically I wake up with a migraine first in the morning, and my symptoms include a stiff and very painful neck. In despair, I bought this book and it's worked for me - pretty much instantly!

I started with the exercises in chapter 9 for neck pain - these are gentle and easy to do. They include guidance on how to better support your neck during sleeping, which have reduced the frequency of the migraines. When I have slept incorrectly and woken with one, I've found that doing the exercises have got rid of it.

I do need to repeat the exercises each day for best benefit but, as they're easy to do, this isn't a chore.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough if, like me, you suffer with headaches or migraine that seem to be associated with neck problems.

Collagraphs and Mixed Media Printmaking (Printmaking Handbook)
Collagraphs and Mixed Media Printmaking (Printmaking Handbook)
by Brenda Hartill

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 7 Jan. 2007
I love this book!

It contains loads of helpful advice and inspirational ideas for anyone interested in producing textured collagraph prints. I'm just getting started in printmaking but think that the guidance from this book should enable me to produce my first collagraph. The book is also challenging enough to interest someone with more experience.

Natural Body Basics: Making Your Own Cosmetics
Natural Body Basics: Making Your Own Cosmetics
by Dorie Byers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value!, 2 Dec. 2004
This is a small book with a good selection of choices covering most hair, body, and facial care needs. The book isn't fancy in that it doesn't contain photographs or clever layouts. However, a good range of choices is given under each area, catering well for different skin types. The options suggested are interesting and look good quality without requiring an extensive list of fancy ingredients.
I'm particularly pleased with the suggestions for facial moisturisers - there's a suggestion for each skin type, and the recipies are oil rather than 'cold cream' based (most books I've seen focus on the latter). Personally I've found the oil base better - even on my oily skin type. They also have the advantage of a longer shelf life!
I enjoyed the face mask I tried last night and can't wait to try the natural recipies for deodorant, body powder and 'serious' lip gloss.
This book is well worth its low cover price

The Ultimate Natural Beauty Book: 100 Gorgeous Beauty Products to Make Easily at Home
by Josephine Fairley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 20 Nov. 2004
This book is great! Having never made cosmetics before, I bought a range of books and this one is by far the best. It has recipies suitable for face, body, hair, etc. and a good selection of facial products for different skin types. The recipies given are imaginative, unusual and effective. I'd also recommend 'Natural Health and Body Care' by Neals Yard Rememdies, but their recipies are (in my opinion) more basic than Ms Fairley's.
The book is also visually well designed, with beautiful use of colour and good layouts. Would make an excellent present for anyone interested in making their own cosmetic products

Power Sewing Step-by-step
Power Sewing Step-by-step
by Sandra Betzina

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a book shelf essential, 29 May 2003
I first started sewing clothes about 18 months ago, beginning as I suppose most do by buying standard commercial patterns. I discovered this book about 9 months ago, and it has allowed me to improve my techniques amazingly, and has boosted my confidence. I now use commercial patterns as rough cutting guides only, and follow Betzina's techniques to stitch things together.
The results I've found from this book is that I can now make items that are far superior to most you can buy (and I am talking about expensive ranges costing a hundred pounds plus for a pair of trousers)! The clothes fit well and they are finished to a high standard. I've just followed her instructions for shaping the underarm of sleeves, with the result that, for the first time in history, I have a jacket with sleeves that don't pull or feel uncomfortable! She also has an excellent tip for non creasing trousers - underline with organza.
I think the secret to using this book is to work through her techniques gradually and add new ones to your portfolio of weapons one or two at a time. You can really take it as far as you want, either keeping things fairly simple, or using a lot of techniques on one garment. I'd also recommend getting 'Fast Fit' by the same author to give more confidence in altering patterns.
Betzina has got a friendly technique, and I find her explanations generally pretty clear. She also has unique names for some of her techniques, which add a bit of fun to the book! In summary about this book, if the house was burning down, I'd either have to rescue the book or buy another one pretty quickly!