Profile for a listener > Reviews

Content by a listener

a listener (Cambridge, England)

Rival Dealer EP
Rival Dealer EP
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fiver ever spent, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
I only discovered Burial this summer, but since then I have downloaded both albums and all the EP's. It's hard to explain why this music is so good - one reviewer said something like 'you find yourself playing it again, and again, and again...' and I have to agree. It's compulsive listening. I was initially apprehensive about some of the 10-minute-plus track lengths, but those tracks often feel like a mini-mix of 3 or 4 shorter tracks and work brilliantly.

So I was eagerly awaiting this EP - and couldn't help reading some of the early reviews, many very critical. I couldn't believe Burial would suddenly come up with something so bad after everything so good. I needn't have worried. This is brilliant.

A special mention for 'Come Down To Us' (some kind of plea for extra-terrestrial intervention?) - this has been criticised for the transgender/sexuality theme of the samples (which establishes quite a serious tone) and 'cheesy' chords. All I can say is this is my top track of 2013 and now my favourite Burial track. Compulsive, arresting, brilliant. 10/10. (No apologies for using the word 'brilliant' so often!)

Cypress Hill / Black Sunday / III (Temples Of Boom) [Explicit]
Cypress Hill / Black Sunday / III (Temples Of Boom) [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value download of the essential Cypress Hill, 2 Mar. 2013
Everyone agrees that the first three Cypress Hill albums are their best (though IV is worth a listen). If you like Muggs' RZA-esque beats and the unique rapping style of the main rapper B-Real, chances are you will love all these. The subject matter is mainly gangsta rap combined with dope smoking. Some people dismiss their second album Black Sunday, but I like it - it has all the hits and many of the samples used are well-known, so I guess may be too crowd-pleasing for some? I worked out that each album cost well under 3 quid - bargain!

Late Night Tales: Nouvelle Vague (Remastered)
Late Night Tales: Nouvelle Vague (Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Download better than CD, 2 Mar. 2013
I've said this on another review but if you download you get the full mix PLUS each individual track - great for the ipod shuffle.This mix itself is good fun - some well-known ones plus some interesting obscurities. I'm not sure it will necessarily appeal to fans of the Nouvelle Vague albums - I had the first one and enjoyed it though one album was enough for me - but this mix is interesting enough to stand on its own merits.

Late Night Tales: Metronomy
Late Night Tales: Metronomy

5.0 out of 5 stars Download better than CD, 2 Mar. 2013
I've only heard one Metronomy track but I love these mixes - downtempo, chill-out, whatever it's called these days, but eclectic enough to keep you interested. This is a great mix and if you buy it on download you get the full mix PLUS all the individual songs (full-length) - good for the ipod shuffle!

Rock and Roll Love Affair (Original Extended Mix)
Rock and Roll Love Affair (Original Extended Mix)

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio-friendly Prince single, 2 Mar. 2013
Kept hearing this on the radio - really catchy. Assumed it was an old number re-released, but turns out it is a new (2012) single. Downloaded the one track and have played it to death since! Nothing new but very, very good.

It Will Take A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
It Will Take A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite hip hop compilations, 9 Jan. 2013
So good I bought it twice! This is one of my favourite hip hop compilations and highly recommended if you can get hold of it. It was released in 1997 which gives you an idea of when the tracks were released. It is unmixed but unlike some compilations it works well when listened to from start to finish. Highlights include Mobb Deep's best track, Pharcyde, Gang Starr, De La Soul and a great remix of Craig Mack and LL Cool J. Best of all is *!*! What U Heard by Diamond D - uses a Tribe Called Quest sample and is so good I got hold of the album but even though that is highly rated it didn't match up to that one song. I lost my first copy but bought it again and have no regrets!

Track listing:
1. Most Wanted - Calm Down
2. Craig Mack feat. LL Cool J - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix)
3. De La Soul - Stakes Is High (Remix)
4. Lords Of The Underground - Chief Rocka
5. Diamond D - *!*! What U Heard
6. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones (Part 2)
7. The Pharcyde - Somethin' That Means Somethin'
8. Gang Starr - Check The Technique
9. Crooklyn Clan - The Franklinz
10. Masta Ace - Sittin' On Chrome (Pitkin Ave Mix)
11. Lost Boyz - Lex Coups, Bimaz And The Benz

Live In London
Live In London
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars without reservation, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Live In London (Audio CD)
As a latecomer to Leonard, I thought I had all I needed with The Essential Leonard Cohen - a truly superb compilation. I'm surprised that CD hasn't worn out, it has been played so much. I had heard some of the older songs such as 'Suzanne' and 'So Long, Marianne' but was not prepared for how amazing his later work is. (I have since bought The Complete Studio Albums Collection which is a fantastic bargain and am slowly discovering the wonders of his back catalogue.)

I bought 'Live in London' on impulse after reading some very enthusiastic reviews - perhaps expecting it to remain on the shelf after a few interesting listens. What can I say? Wow. It is stunning. It is hard to pin down what is so good about this collection - sound quality, musicianship, arrangements all faultless - it adds up to more than the sum of its parts. 5 stars without reservation and - I didn't think I would ever say this - more essential than The Essential.

P.S. I can think of only one other artist where I rate a live collection as highly as studio recordings - Live In Concert 1975 - 85 Bruce Springsteen & The Street Band

Dub Me Tender (Vol 1 + 2)
Dub Me Tender (Vol 1 + 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dub album - even better live!, 1 Oct. 2012
I saw the Dub Colossus Dub Band gig in Cambridge on Friday - it was superb (the only shame was that more people weren't there to see it). They played mostly tracks from this album and it was a real experience to see them performed live. The musicianship was truly excellent (drums, two percussionists/electronic sampling wizards, bass, guitar, two-man horn section and two vocalists). 'Dubulah' on the guitar is an incredible musician. I thoroughly enjoyed it - catch them live if you can.

I haven't heard their previous albums but while there are traces of Ethiopian/jazz elements on here this works as a straight-up dub reggae album. I'm a big fan of King Tubby and other dub and I really enjoy this album. Dub fans may not have clocked this since it seems to be filed under 'world music'. The tracks seem to be cover versions of well-known pop songs - some recognisable, some not - but don't let that put you off. A definite 5 out of 5 album.

The Smiths Complete
The Smiths Complete

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better value as download, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Smiths Complete (Audio CD)
If, like me, the CDs would gather dust while you listen on your mp3 player, the download version is even better value (and has a few extra b-sides, including Jeane).

I missed The Smiths when they were around but discovered them soon after and, although I already owned a best of, this set is fantastic. All the albums are great.