Profile for Anne Gilder > Reviews

Crucial Evidence
Crucial Evidence
by Margaret Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial Evidence by Margaret Barnes, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crucial Evidence (Paperback)
A thoroughly good read with good pace and absorbing detail. The action centres on two feisty and principled female characters. Through Cassie, Lenny's defence lawyer, we gain insights into the political manoeuvrings which bedevil career advancement in legal chambers. The experiences of both Cassie and her police counterpart, Alex, highlight the latent misogyny which still occasionally surfaces in many walks of life.

The descriptions of the Holland Park area of London are navigated with skill and all the characters, whether market traders, Lenny and his family, or legal colleagues are convincingly portrayed.

I look forward to a sequel. A.C.

Sharp TUR162H - PVR With Twin Digital Tuner - 160GB Hard Drive And PIP
Sharp TUR162H - PVR With Twin Digital Tuner - 160GB Hard Drive And PIP

1.0 out of 5 stars pvr, 25 Aug 2010
I bought this as a reduced price pvr from Avides, to replace a Humax which had become unreliable. It was as new but did not work. Avides said to contact Sharp; I tried but not easy. I gave up and subsequently bought a Hitachi pvr which is great. Never buy unless it is new and from a reliable supplier.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD), 1 User
Offered by Convey Solutions

3.0 out of 5 stars 7, 25 Aug 2010
I intend to install this but people have told me to keep with my XP?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2010 10:50 PM BST

Samsung CLP-315W Wireless Colour Laser Printer
Samsung CLP-315W Wireless Colour Laser Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Aug 2010
I bought this as a wireless printer for my wife's new laptop. I tried it out by direct connection to my computer and it worked well with magnificent laser colour prints. However, the wireless part would not work. I phoned Samsung who said that the instructions were wrong and e-mailed new instructions. No success so I phoned again; they sent sombody out who played with it and said the BT hub was the problem. BT says the hub is OK. I gave up at that stage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2010 8:41 AM BST

If You Don't Know Me by Now: A Memoir of Love, Secrets and Lies in Wolverhampton
by Sathnam Sanghera

5.0 out of 5 stars Immigration, 25 Aug 2010
This is a factual book which starts with anecdotes about memories of growing up in the midlands and then becomes more serious. It is a good depiction of the problems of living in two cultures and a thorough analysis of an inherited family medical problem. As with all the best books, I learnt something new. Well recommended.

A View From The Foothills: The Diaries of Chris Mullin
A View From The Foothills: The Diaries of Chris Mullin
by Chris Mullin

5.0 out of 5 stars Insider, 25 Aug 2010
This is a view of government as it is in real life. Humourous, well written and revealing about the Blair government. I thorougly enjoyed it.

Letters To My Grandchildren
Letters To My Grandchildren
by Tony Benn

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy, 25 Aug 2010
The letters are relevant to all ages as well as to his grandchildren. They give intelligent reviews of modern life and encourage moral/political principles without being too revolutionary. Everybody should read this well-written book!

True To Both My Selves
True To Both My Selves
by Katrin Fitzherbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: True To Both My Selves (Paperback)
This is a factual book and is excellent at the dilemmas of a child growing up in Nazi Germany but adopting England after WW2. It is very effective writing.

Sony RDRGX350B DVD Recorder
Sony RDRGX350B DVD Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Editing DVDs, 1 Feb 2009
I bought this "second-hand" recorder for almost half the lowest "new" price on the internet. It had been opened but not used. It was in Germany but arrived within 3 days with UK power lead and instructions. I already had a DVD recorder and have since used it for editing and downloading from other family DVDs. It is an excellent recorder (reference the Which report) but the instructions should include a "how to edit" tutorial. It is easy now that I have mastered the mass of details! I did not need any "digital TV guides" which seem to make all the other recorders much more expensive.