Profile for Alder > Reviews

Alder (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
The Music of Smash Sheet Music Collection: Piano/Vocal/Chords
The Music of Smash Sheet Music Collection: Piano/Vocal/Chords
by Inc. Alfred Music Publishing Co.
Edition: Sheet music
Price: 11.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many missing songs. :(, 23 Dec 2012
I loved Smash for the excellent original songs - the cover version are great, but easily available elsewhere. Unfortunately this book is half covers, half original, and as such misses out several favourites that I was hoping to get to play. No 'Second-hand White Baby Grand' no 'Don't Forget Me', no 'Howl' or 'Don't Say Yes Until I've Finished Talking'.

I guess the main problem is that I wasn't really looking for the songs of Smash, I was looking for the songs of Bombshell! [Someone should get onto publishing that...]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 12:15 PM BST

Frasier - Season 5 [DVD]
Frasier - Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelsey Grammer
Price: 11.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: Frasier - Season 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Watching this as I type, as it happens...and chuckling.

Frasier is one of my all-time favourite comedies, but the 'middle' years are perhaps the best. The writers and actors were more familiar with the characters, and the witty dialogue sparkles. The show might be called 'Frasier', but it has a strong ensemble cast, with David Hyde Pierce as Niles being perhaps my favourite. Well worth watching.

Third Watch - The Complete First Season [DVD]
Third Watch - The Complete First Season [DVD]
Dvd ~ Coby Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and well written, 11 Jun 2009
I've been working my way through the early seasons of ER, and suddenly remembered seeing this show on in the afternoons on Channel 4. Picked up season one about a week ago, and have been watching it back to back ever since!
The show is tightly written, with characters you can care about, even the borderline psychotic Officer Boscorelli...and as it moves from police, to fire and paramedics, it keeps a quick pace. Hoping that they release season two soon.

Piccadilly Jim
Piccadilly Jim
by P.G. Wodehouse
Price: 6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Always brightens my day., 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Piccadilly Jim (Paperback)
Possibly the hardest thing in this world to do, is to pick your favourite P G Wodehouse novel. There are so many, and they're all so good.

If you twisted my arm, though, I'd probably choose Picadilly Jim. Jimmy Crocker is an American boy let loose in London. After making a thorough idiot of himself, he's sent home by his scandalised step-mother to settle down and get a job. Instead of that happening, we have a typical Wodehouse comedy, with Jimmy pretending to be someone else (to hide his real identify from the wonderful girl he meets, who hates him for no reason that he can think of) and then pretending to be someone else pretending to be himself. No one else could write this and make it feel probable...
It's light, frothy and endlessly good-humoured, with a sparky heroine and a likeable hero. Read it and smile.

The Face of a Stranger (William Monk)
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk)
by Anne Perry
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying series, I always want more..., 15 Feb 2009
"The Face of a Stranger" introduces the reader to William Monk and Hester Latterly, in a series of books set in the mid-1800s. An accident has robbed Monk of his memory, and he painstakingly tries to reconstruct the man that he was, while trying to hide the extent of his injury from his superiors in the police force. Hester worked as a nurse in the Crimea, and has come home to a country where an independent spirit in a woman is still frowned on, and in a single woman is almost unheard of. With both parents dead, she is forced to find her own way in a world that really isn't ready for her... They meet as a result of one of Monk's cases, and a very prickly partnership is born.
Monk and Hester make an appealing combination, and the slow development of their relationship is one of the highlights of the series. I really need to read them all again, now I think about it...

Five Quarters Of The Orange
Five Quarters Of The Orange
by Joanne Harris
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual fare, but loved it., 15 Feb 2009
I read 'Chocolat' and enjoyed it, but this is definitely my favourite of Joanne Harris's books. More bitter than sweet, she sets you down in a hot French summer during the Nazi occupation. The book is told from the point of view of Framboise, as a child during the occupation, and as a much older woman later. I found the sections from the child's viewpoint particularly interesting, since the reader can understand things that Framboise didn't at the time. Colourful and unusual, it's a book I regularly recommend.

Tell No One
Tell No One
by Harlan Coben

5.0 out of 5 stars The thriller everyone tries to copy., 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Tell No One (Paperback)
"If you liked 'Tell No One' you'll love..." seems to be a line that appears on book jackets and adverts quite often these days.
This is the thriller that everyone else tries to measure up to (including Harlan Coban himself). Swift moving, with twists and turns that leave you constantly perplexed, 'Tell No One' is a book that you physically can't put down until you've read the last line. In fact, I now have two copies, one for myself, and one to lend to people...can't recommend it enough.

A Family Affair (The Rex Stout Library)
A Family Affair (The Rex Stout Library)
by Rex Stout
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few books that really surprised me., 15 Feb 2009
I'm glad I read this particular book when I did, after having read a lot of the previous Wolfe novels. Although most of the books can be read as stand-alone novels, over time the reader gets quite attached to the cast of characters that wander in and out, and 'A Family Affair' strikes particularly close to home. Because of this, I'd definitely recommend reading a few of the earlier books before this one, of only for the 'gasp' moment that I had near the end.
Other than that it's pretty standard Wolfe/Archie Goodwin fare. Workmanlike job from Rex Stout, as usual.

The Swish of the Curtain
The Swish of the Curtain
by Pamela Brown
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unabridged!, 15 Feb 2009
I'm talking about the blue paperback version! I wasn't sure when I bought it, but it's completely unabridged, and packed with details that are missing from the ancient ex-library copy on my shelf. It arrived from Amazon yesterday, and I sat and read it all afternoon. So much fun.

A group of young people - early teens - discover that they all have artistic leanings of one sort or another. They're encouraged to put on a show, and having found a dilapidated old building and cleaned and re-painted it, they open their own little theatre. But will their parents ever accept that they're not going to grow up and go into the family business/become a barrister etc?

Now I just need to try and find the rest of the series.

The Silver Pigs
The Silver Pigs
by Lindsey Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a great series., 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Silver Pigs (Paperback)
I first picked up The Silver Pigs in our local bookshop, for 99p. At that price I thought, 'Oh well, if I hate it, it won't matter'. Instead I loved it.
Davis plunges you into the heat and bustle of Ancient Rome, sketching the surroundings just enough to draw you in, and not so much that the books become a travelogue. The real trick, though, is the cast of characters that builds up book by book, into a community that you care about. The difficulties, and occasional fun of life in Rome, particularly if you're poor like the hero, Falco, ring true.

I bought all the rest...

Page: 1 | 2