Profile for Alder > Reviews

The Vanished Man
The Vanished Man
by Jeffery Deaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisted..., 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Vanished Man (Paperback)
I'm particularly fond of Jeffrey Deaver's "Rhyme" books, but this is the one I keep going back to. A serial killer is using skills as a magician to get away with murder, and this leads to unusually (even by Deaver's standards) complex murder plots. Also it meant that when someone was talking about prestidigitaion I was the only person in the room who knew what it meant...
If it has a flaw, it's that Deaver's trademark twists in the tale go a little further than usual. Or so I felt. On the other hand it means that no matter how often I read it, I never quite remember exactly what happens at the end, and that's rare!

Jane of Lantern Hill
Jane of Lantern Hill
by L. M. Montgomery
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of its time., 15 Feb 2009
Another little known classic from L M Montgomery. (Thank goodness we lived near a good library when I was wee!)
This is a warm-hearted book, with a spunky little heroine, which deals in surprisingly modern themes - separation, divorce, perhaps even post-traumatic stress! - and a colourful cast of secondary characters. Great fun.

The Blue Castle (Voyageur Classics)
The Blue Castle (Voyageur Classics)
by L. M. Montgomery

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming., 15 Feb 2009
This is quite possibly my all-time favourite book. It takes a little while to get going, while the drabness of Valancy's life is laid out for us, but that just makes us warm to her more. And seeing her grow and blossom into a stronger person is very satisfying. A little gem of a book. Worth every penny.

C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation - New York - Season 4 Part 2 [DVD] [2008]
C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation - New York - Season 4 Part 2 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Gary Sinise
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb 2009
Season 4 is - so far - my favourite NY season. We are rid of Mac's girlfriend from season 3, who annoyed me quite a bit. And we gain the 'stalker' story arc, which is just about the right length through the season. Lots of enjoyable stuff.

Twilight (Twilight Saga)
Twilight (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: 6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully badly written., 15 Feb 2009
I spent the better part of an afternoon wading through this sickly, glutinous mess. That's three hours I won't be getting back...

Meyer apparently thinks two adjective are always better than one - ' "quiet, musical" "soft, enchanting" "clear, elegant" "perfect, ultrawhite" "bizarre, beautiful" - all in the course of a couple of pages describing the twinkly perfection that is Edward. The book is peppered with typos - talking about her bedroom, Bella says ' "It had been belonged to me since I was born" ', for example. The heroine is an unlikeable brat, and the hero a possessive stalker.

Don't read it. Please..!