Profile for Jane Donovan > Reviews

Us
Us
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Us (Hardcover)
I am still reading this book and I absolutely love it. It's warm, engaging and funny, everything you would expect from the author of One Day. As a freelance editor I don't get much time to read books as I'm doing it all day but I am making an exception for this one. It is every bit as good as One Day, describing perfectly long-term relationships.

A Thousand Laurie Lees: The Centenary Celebration of a Man and a Valley
A Thousand Laurie Lees: The Centenary Celebration of a Man and a Valley
by Adam Horovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars The wonderment of the Slad Valley, 4 Aug 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Adam Horovitz's portrait of the Slad Valley and the 'thousand' Laurie Lees in this part of the Cotswolds. He captures beautifully the way a young person looks at the world and the immense charm of the Slad Valley itself, having spent much of his childhood and adulthood there. The writing is wonderfully poetic and evocative but equally full of humour, down-to-earth and frequently very moving. This is a book that will appeal to everyone who loves Laurie Lee's writing and will prompt many a visit to Slad, I suspect!

Plus
Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Plus (Audio CD)
I saw Ed Sheeran on the Brit Awards so was keen to buy his album. I think he is an incredibly talented singer-songwriter. I love this album and play it a lot.

What's Going On
What's Going On
Offered by westworld-

3.0 out of 5 stars What's going on?, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: What's Going On (Audio CD)
Not a lot, really! I love the song What's Going On and also Mercy but the rest of the album was a bit bland.

Love Songs
Love Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Carpenters!, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Love Songs (Audio CD)
I went to an outdoor Carpenters tribute band concert with two friends who already had the Greatest Hits album. This one was perfect as a thank you present (we stayed with them for the weekend) and I will probably end up buying it myself. Order arrived extremely promptly and in perfect condition.

Random Access Memories
Random Access Memories

1.0 out of 5 stars Not me, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Random Access Memories (Audio CD)
I had heard good things about this album but I don't think it's for me. Will listen to it some more but I didn't love it.

Modern Vampires of the City
Modern Vampires of the City

5.0 out of 5 stars So upbeat, 11 July 2013
I loved this CD. It was recommended in a piece on summertime music in Red magazine. Was great to find a new band and the upbeat tracks match summer perfectly.

The Sound of Deep House
The Sound of Deep House

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really me, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The Sound of Deep House (Audio CD)
I bought this album after reading a piece by the DJ Jo Wiley on summer music. For me every track was almost the same but I suspect it's not aimed at me, a 52-year-old woman! I took it straight down the charity shop.

Music From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby
Music From Baz Luhrmann's Film The Great Gatsby

5.0 out of 5 stars My summertime album, 18 Jun 2013
I wasn't impressed by the Great Gatsby movie but I loved the book and also the music from the film. This is a brilliant compilation from the talented Jay-Z. I will be listening to it a lot this summer, and beyond. It arrived promptly and in perfect condition. I will order from these people again.

Take Five
Take Five

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dad's favourite, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Take Five (Audio CD)
This album was one of my Dad's favourites – we actually played it at his funeral and whenever, I hear it, it makes me think of him. I like to think he is watching over me. However, I hadn't heard many other Brubeck tracks and I loved them all. This CD was fantastic value – three CDS. It arrived promptly and was in good nick. I will order from them again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 10:49 PM BST