Profile for Ewm > Reviews

Content by Ewm

Ewm "Ewm" (Stockport UK)

Omega Force Series Omnibus (Books 1-3)
Omega Force Series Omnibus (Books 1-3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sci fi adventure series, 1 Mar. 2015
Really enjoyed the series. just bought books 5 & 6 so the author must be doing something right :-)

Enigma (Far From Home Book 13)
Enigma (Far From Home Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sci Fi, 4 July 2014
Good solid read. Really enjoyable

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Yarn!, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
This my first ever eBook.
I am using my Nexus 4 and I really enjoyed the story, so much so I bought The Nelson Touch.
Looking forward to book 3.

Norie's Nautical Tables 2007
Norie's Nautical Tables 2007
by George Blance

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 22 Aug. 2011
I bought this as a modern replacement for an old 1957 Inman Nautical Tables I bought years ago in a second hand bookshop.

Its a lot bigger (A4) format than my old one which makes it easy to read.

It also contains all those useful tables I used to cut out of my old Almanacs for Astro Nav and Coastal Nav, Now in one place.

Because it is A4 Its easy to scan and print pages you use a lot and laminate them (e.g. Sun Total Correction, Distance off by Vertical Sextant Angle).

A really useful reference you only buy once. Well worth it.

Earth Strike (Star Carrier)
Earth Strike (Star Carrier)
by Ian Douglas
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Hornblower in Space, 22 Aug. 2011
Really enjoyable military SciFi with good pace and story telling.
I read it from cover to cover in one go.

Really miffed book 3 isn't out until 2012.

MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals
MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals

4.0 out of 5 stars MKS Pedals need adjustment, 10 July 2011
This review is from: MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals (Misc.)
Very nice pedals but from new they are a bit rough to rotate. This is because they need a little TLC out of the box.

The end cap can be unscrewed (there is an MKS tool available on the internet) with the help of some large pliers or similar and then the locknut should be unscrewed and the cone unscrewed over a plate or container. There are 11 loose ball bearings per end and mine were too tight and had almost no grease.

If you want to do it properly, degrease everything with solvent and then dry and clean everything especially the bearing surfaces, regrease and assemble the pedal and use a 16mm thin walled socket to adjust the tightness of the outer bearing cone. a fraction of a turn makes a huge difference. Then replace washer and tighten locknut.

The washer between the cone and the locknut does rotate a little so you might have to do this procedure a few time to get it right before replacing the dustcap, but once done you will be amazed by the difference. Your MKS pedals will now spin freely with no roughness.

So, with all of the above done what are they like? Well really nice, totally user serviceable, dustcaps can be replaced, ball bearings can be replaced (5/32) and they will probably last longer than me?

A Voyage For Madmen
A Voyage For Madmen
by Peter Nichols

5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted, 28 Jan. 2008
This review is from: A Voyage For Madmen (Paperback)
I am a small boat sailor and I loved it. This was a documentary that read like a novel and I was totally absorbed by it. It left me feeling both satisfied but sad and I was sorry it had to finish.