Profile for Mr. G. R. Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. R. Brown

Mr. G. R. Brown "grbr0wn" (Ampthill UK)

SunnCamp Mains Connection Lead 25Metre
SunnCamp Mains Connection Lead 25Metre
Offered by BulbsTubes

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Power Cable!, 16 Feb 2013
....and not surprisingly it transmits power very well, when we use it to plug in our camper! We look forward to many happy years together.

Alessi Juicy Salif Citrus Juicer
Alessi Juicy Salif Citrus Juicer

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 16 Feb 2013
This item is straight out of early science fiction, or perhaps the Festival of Britain! I bought it as an ornament, although by chance it also functions quite well as a lemon/orange squeezer. Shame to get it dirty.....

Bats of Britain and Ireland
Bats of Britain and Ireland
by HW Schofield

5.0 out of 5 stars Bat-tastic!, 22 Mar 2012
Lovely little book giving details of all the British bats we can expect to come across. Identifying the little blighters is another matter, but this book is an excellent introduction to them.

Qualtex Dust Bags for Henry & Hetty Numatic Vacuum Cleaners Pack Of 10
Qualtex Dust Bags for Henry & Hetty Numatic Vacuum Cleaners Pack Of 10
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, very disappointing, 22 Mar 2012
Very disappointed. I bought a pack for our Numatic 'George' (Henry's big brother) and all three that we have used to date have split. Won't be buying these again! Don't deserve any stars.

Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker
Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker

2.0 out of 5 stars Bread Making Batchelor!, 17 Jan 2012
This is my second bread maker, having cut my teeth on a different brand, as a batchelor. That first machine produced wonderful bread and I developed a number of variations of successful recipes, with subtle adjustments to suit the different mix of flours I used. A scientific approach to mixing and matching ingredients worked very well. After the second bread bin of that first machine had reached the end of its life, by which time I was happily married, I bought a Fastbake.

That has now gone the same way as the previous machine and the mixer shaft has come away from the rest of the bin. I have ordered a replacement bin, just to get the most out of the machine, which has frankly been a disappointment. I once again employed my rigorous approach to fine tuning recipes, but the bread produced routinely sinks after cooking and I have given up trying to get it right. My favourite recipes from the old machine didn't bring success with my Fastbake. The texture of the bread, despite using all the same brands of ingredients, has never reached the same quality I got from my previous machine.

So all-in-all a less than satisfactory purchase. Our bread is edible and enjoyable enough, but we have not achieved nirvana with it and do not bake the same varieties as previously. The results simply fall short of our expectations and previous experience. Our next machine will be a different brand!

Dualit Jug Kettle Black Trim 72400
Dualit Jug Kettle Black Trim 72400

5.0 out of 5 stars Dualit Duo, 7 Jan 2012
My wife and I treated ourselves to a Dualit percolator and were so pleased with it we decided to buy a kettle as well. I was rather taken aback by some of the negative comments about them on Amazon, but bought one anyway. Unwrapping it there was a sticker on the base, saying that in use condensation may occur.

So there we have it. These kettles don't leak, they merely perspire!

We are delighted with both our Dualits and look forward to years of service from them both. The beauty of having both percolator and kettle is that they can use the same base, hence giving a tidy worktop.

Logitech C600 2MP HD Webcam (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech C600 2MP HD Webcam (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars New Webcam User, 1 Nov 2011
I'm really pleased with my first adventure into using a webcam! My Logitech C600 was available through Amazon at a remarkably low price and I was swayed by the good reviews. I have Windows 7 and it loaded itself, so before long I was looking at myself.....

The mounting bracket that has been commented on is indeed a strange thing, but as I use a desktop my webcam has proved perfectly stable and happy, sited on the top edge of my monitor. Why it even looks, well, kinda cute!

It came in a remarkably wasteful large carton, for something so small, but otherwise I am looking forward to using it a great deal.

5 LED USB & Wind Up Dynamo Torch
5 LED USB & Wind Up Dynamo Torch
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark Mutterings!, 19 Sep 2011
The overwhelming enthusiasm for this torch made chosing and buying one very easy. However on the first occasion that we really needed to use it (as opposed to play with it as a novelty) was at night on a remarkably dark campsite. The alarm would not switch off! Winding it to try and light the way simultaneously resulted in waking the dead. So we now have a red thing that works as an alarm while being wound, which we do not want, and doesn't work as a torch, which is what we need. Post sales support doesn't work either.

Added later. I dismantled it and removed the loud speaker, also found that the two wires on the alarm switch were touching each other, so the switch was effectively permanently 'on', now sorted. Needs a tiny cross-head screw-driver to dismantle!

Sony VCT-MTK Compact Travel Size Tripod For Cameras & Camcorders
Sony VCT-MTK Compact Travel Size Tripod For Cameras & Camcorders

5.0 out of 5 stars Trick Tiny Tripod!, 19 Jun 2009
Another motorcyclist here, who values tiny things when travelling, but also likes quality. My trusty little tripod of many years recently broke and I was drawn to this model, partly as a fan of Sony products, but also by the favourable reviews here.

This tripod is remarkably small, with two draw-tubes in each leg. It is also surprisingly heavy, indicating its substantial construction which appears to be almost entirely of metal. The only slight snag is the folding part of the screw that holds the adjustable ball, which can foul opening of the adjacent leg. But I forgive it!

I add my admiration and satisfaction to that of the other reviewers!

Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own
by Andrew Whitley

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread Really Does Matter!, 16 April 2009
The author would do well to advise making a loaf before starting to read this book - all the better to sustain the reader while working through it. It is a weighty read, but absorbing and informative. The discovery that bread making includes fermentation was a surprise, so settle down with your favourite tipple! My wife and I have greatly enjoyed reading it.

Much of the book is about how bread and flour have developed and just exactly what goes into the modern mass-produced loaf, which is a real eye opener, before guiding the reader through making bread by hand, using the simplest ingredients. The distinction between these two aspects of the book (the Why and How) is somewhat blurred and I would prefer that they were more clearly segregated. Deciding on our approach has required dotting about through the book, so we can prepare ourselves for following the otherwise excellent guidance within.

Written in a very readable style, but with great passion and authority, it is difficult to imagine how such a thick book could deal with so apparently simple a topic, but the deceit of government and industry is breath taking, where our daily bread is concerned! Read it for this aspect alone.

I have only occasionally made bread by hand, however am on my second bread machine, having used one regularly for over a decade. After reading this book my wife and I are on the threshold of making bread from first principles, using flour and water alone, with a pinch of salt. A very informative and life changing read...