Profile for patrick almond > Reviews

Critters [DVD]
Critters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dee Wallace Stone
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good balance of humour and horror, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Critters [DVD] (DVD)
Critters surprised me a lot, I didn't really expect a lot going into it; some lame average monster movie on the surface and the first 10 minutes lived up to these expectations but the 70 minutes that follow are a big improvement. Think of a home invasion style movie meets Gremlins and you're somewhat there. The main kid in the movie played by Scott Grimes puts in a really good performance especially for a child actor but the real star are the critters themselves. They're funny, imaginative and for a 12 rated film draw a surprising amount of blood.

So never judge a book by its cover, or a film by its title. This is a very entertaining features some great effects work and is surprisingly self aware. Worth a watch.

The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Vera Farmiga

4.0 out of 5 stars Scariest film in recent memory, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Conjuring [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The Conjuring is a movie you find yourself thinking about late at night when you're in bed not wanting to open your eyes worrying about what will await you. The film truly psychologically affected me the first time I saw it with some truly well earned scares where tension builds through brilliant use of sound and camera work that builds tension until the last possible moment where the movie gets you. A scene in particular involving a wardrobe really freaked me out and made sure I never look at one the same way.

If anything the movie seems to lose strength in the second act in terms of scares focusing more on the story which is admittedly intriguing if unoriginal, the second act still has scares but not as many as that first act which did truly get in my head for a couple of days. Well worth a watch for true horror fans.

Death Note Complete [DVD]
Death Note Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tetsuro Araki

5.0 out of 5 stars Death Note Series Review, 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Death Note Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Death Note is easily my favourite anime series and in my top 5 TV series of all time. I can recommend to people who don't consider themselves fans of anime because unlike the light, playful tone and constant filler I find in most other anime. Death Note is dark mature anime and even the rare episodes that are filler are so compelling you won't even notice. I've watched all 37 episodes twice and I can't get enough of this world and the characters that inhabit it. The characters like Light Yagami Ray Pember, and Matsuda feel so real and believable with some great character development which makes you invest in each character,

The show contains some incredible episodes, ones that I can remember are 1,17,19 and the final episode 37 which in my opinion is a perfect conclusion to a near perfect series. If anyone out there still hasn't watched this show I implore you to, you won't regret it.

Death Sentence [DVD]
Death Sentence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Bacon
Offered by Door2DoorEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most underrated film I've ever seen, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Death Sentence [DVD] (DVD)
Death sentence is a movie which received extremely negative reviews for reasons I don't really understand, I think this is a really good intense revenge film, in fact it's one of the best revenge films out there. Kevin Bacon stars as the protagonist and gives a believable performance as a Father who witnesses an event that changes his outlook on life, this leads him to the conclusion that he must protect his family at any cost. The plot is extremely engaging, surprisingly hard-hitting in places and leads to some great scenes; the action scenes in particular shine.

James wan directed this film and I'm a big fan of his work (Saw, Insidious, The conjuring) and this seems like a very different film for him to make and he doesn't disappoint each scene features top notch direction and a scene in which an on foot chase takes place in a car park in particular is masterfully directed, sure to have you on the edge of your seat. A common complaint I heard with the movie was just how violent it was but I felt the violence was always justified. The violence in this film feels real giving real impact and at least to me never feeling gratuitous. It always felt justified.

Just to give you an idea of my taste other movies I like that I feel are overlooked include:
Vanilla Sky, Silent Hill, Super, Running Scared, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Prisoners [DVD]
Prisoners [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense and gripping, will stay with you long after the credits roll, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Prisoners [DVD] (DVD)
Prisoners was a film of which I heard great things about from friends and critics, these are entirely justified as the film has so many positives, immaculately edited to help further add to the tension that increased from scene to scene, fantastic performances all round; Hugh Jackman is sure to receive a lot of praise as a father who will stop at nothing to see his daughter again, the beginning where we see him as a kind and loving parent makes his descent into darkness and the acts he commits all the more believable but I think Jake Gyllenhaal to me was the standout performance as detective Loki whose character actually had a twitch in the movie, sometimes this can be distracting but I bought into his character so much that it didn't bother me and ended up adding to this flawed but persistent person with real subtlety, I've thought Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the most overlooked actors ever since I saw Donnie Darko but if he keeps turning in performances like he did in this and End of Watch I think he'll get the recognition he deserves.

At around 2 and a half hours I thought in plot Prisoners might run out of steam in certain places or run out of ideas but the film never does, you'll find yourself so involved in these characters and the world around them that the run time will fly by in no time. The inevitable third act twist reveal was extremely unexpected and as far as I could seemed to add up leading to a last 20 minutes of excruciating tension. I think the movie is well worth your time and the reason I can't give it 5 stars is a spoiler I can't reveal where a certain character's actions have no consequence and the conclusion left a key plot point unfinished, it's the only gripe I have. Essential viewing.

The Devil's Rejects - Special Edition [2005] [DVD]
The Devil's Rejects - Special Edition [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sid Haig

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedley brilliant, 24 Jan. 2014
Rob Zombie's sequel to House of 1000 Corpses sees him not just surpass what in my opinion was a mess of a film but make a genuinely great film that has the power to both disgust and engage the viewer in the dark and dreary world that Zombie creates. Visually the film looks great and makes the film feel like a cross between a western and a horror movie. I also thought the performances were strong, in particular brilliant was Bill Moseley who I genuinely could not take my eyes off in certain scenes as he gave such a frightening performance.

Overall, though I don't agree with everything the film does, I can't deny the raw power this film holds, much like The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre the film immerses you in a world you don't want to be in but can't stop watching. And it all concludes with one hell of an ending.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (1-Disc) [DVD]
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (1-Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf
Offered by Mayflower Stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgraceful, 3 Jan. 2014
This movie is an insult to people's intelligence, coming from someone who actually enjoyed the first movie for what it was; a enjoyable action blockbuster, I found myself actually hating this movie. This movie features poorly shot action, offensive jokes and racial stereotypes and a running time of two and a half hours. If you enjoyed the first movie, skip this and go to Dark of the Moon which still isn't a great film but won't make you feel quite as insulted.

Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars an unmissable experience, 22 Jun. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alan Wake (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Alan Wake is the best game I have ever played. After completing this game numerous times i feel compelled to review this masterpiece. I feel this game is so overlooked and underrated by many people and critics. The storytelling is heavily inspired by shows like Twin Peaks and The Twilight Zone whilst nodding its head to the work of Stephen King (The Shining, The Dark Half, Misery etc.) Alan Wake is a successful writer struggling to write his latest story. Him and his Wife, Alice, think that a vacation to the small town of Bright Falls will help Alan to write his novel and give the two a well needed break, but Alice soon goes missing and we join Alan on his joureny to find her. I won't say alot more to not spoil for anyone who has no knowledge of the story but the player goes on a real joureny with this character. Gameplay is very unique and quite original. As Alan Wake you wield a flashlight and a firearm of either a revolver, shotgun, hunting rifle or flare gun. Due to the great creepy, on edge atmosphere the game creates, combat becomes very tense and exciting. The game also benefits from a great supporting cast of characters, i found Barry Wheeler in particular very funny and loved every minute he was on screen.
I cannot reccomend this game enough. Both DLCs - The Signal and The Writer are also very good and offer a more fulfilling conclusion to the story