Profile for Jumpers for goalposts > Reviews

Content by Jumpers for go...

Jumpers for goalposts (UK)

Toy Story 3 Frustration Game
Toy Story 3 Frustration Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game - cheaply made though, 2 Feb. 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Toy Story 3 Frustration Game (Toy)
In short: Buy this version if you prefer the original style game, but be prepared for a short lifespan unless you do a small amount of work to laminate the game board to make it sturdier.

Positives:
This Toy Story 3 branded Frustration board game was the closest version I could find to the original 1970's version. The plastic part of the board with the pop-up dice was pretty similar to the original and I imagine will be as durable.
Negatives:
Sadly, the coloured 'under-board' which has the images on it is made out of thin insubstantial cardboard, and although it is held to the plastic part by four rubber feet I could see it being ripped and bent in no time by my kids (this would make the game unplayable).
The game box it comes in is also a thin flexible cardboard package-style 'box' and opens at the ends, rather than the original sturdy rigid box which was in two parts (one to contain the peices and a lid which fitted over the top).

Overall:
I was reluctant to buy this version because of the poor quality of the cardboard parts, but as I didn't like the updated version of the game (re-styled with levers which you bang??) I decided to risk it. Before I gave it to my kids I had the coloured 'under-board' laminated at a copy shop for about £3, then re-opened up the holes for the rubber feet easily with a sharp drill bit. It is now fairly bomb-proof and the kids love playing the game. I have bagged up the counters in a freezer bag to keep them together, as I am sure that the poor quality box will get bent out of shape or ripped sometime soon.

Tomy Thomas My First Remote Control Thomas
Tomy Thomas My First Remote Control Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a hard floor, 9 Sept. 2010
We've only had this remote control Thomas for a few days, but my two kids (2 & 5) have been fighting over who can play with it first.
The big downside to the toy is that it needs a hard floor to work well, and so the kids have been restricted to using it in the kitchen (or bathroom!). It can work on very short-pile firm carpet with no underlay (carpet tiles or suchlike), but on your average carpeted room it struggles to keep moving, which is not great when most children's bedrooms have carpet flooring.
The sound effects are great, but the continuous music (with no mute button) can drive you bonkers...
All in all it's a really fun toy, and has survived several drops onto hard floor & down the stairs so far.

Fisher-Price Medical Kit
Fisher-Price Medical Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and durable, 4 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Fisher-Price Medical Kit (Toy)
I ordered this for my 3 year old daughter both because she likes role playing and to help her understand what injections were etc. She's had this nearly a year now and still plays with it regularly. Nothing has broken despite plenty of 'doctoring' and the little carry bag has kept it all together.
Well worth the money.

Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Oliver Postgate
Offered by EU ELECTRIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique children's classic, 1 Dec. 2008
Single DVD box with no extras, good quality sound and colour reproduction considering the age of the programmes.
Unlike Bagpuss and Ivor The Engine, The Clangers left little impression on me from my childhood and for this reason I was in two minds when ordering this for my daughter, and it was really only on the strength of the fact that it was made by Oliver Postgate that I did. Because it wasn't as familiar to me it took a few viewings to really get into it, but when I was (my much less cynical daughter was entranced almost immediately) this beautifully imaginative and eccentrically bizzare piece of animation will now stay with me forever. It's a great tribute to Postgate's genius that this can captivate an adult viewer more than thirty years after it was made without the benefit of nostalgia.
This DVD is worth the price and much more for the rich imagination and treasured memories it will inspire.

Trumptonshire : Trumpton / Chigley / Camberwick Green (Complete Collection Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brian Cant
Offered by g515tfl

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gift for your kids, 1 Dec. 2008
This box set is worth every penny.
A couple of the episodes have a slight wobble in the video image (due to age I would imagine), but nothing that will distract from viewing. Other than this the sound and image quality is very good.
I bought this for my 2 year old daughter who has continued to watch the many epiosodes without getting bored. The joy is that we can re-live it with her and appreciate the subtle humour in the immersive worlds of Trumptonshire which we never noticed when we were kids back in the 70's.