Profile for RosieAls > Reviews

Robert Plant: A Life: The Biography
Robert Plant: A Life: The Biography
by Paul Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding more about Robert Plant, 31 Oct. 2013
Being a massive Led Zeppelin fan (and in particular of a certain Mr Jimmy Page), I have read many books on the band.
I've just finished reading this fantastic Robert Plant biography and it is right up the list as one of the best, most insightful and well researched that I've read.
Certainly a sometimes complex and surprisingly understated individual, I have often found it difficult to 'get close' to understanding Plant as he's never seemed as accessible as Jimmy Page, but this bio definitely picked out many highly interesting aspects of the man behind one of the world's greatest and most important rock bands. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would encourage it as a 'must read' not just for any fan of Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant but for fans of music and rock in general.

Feral Youth
Feral Youth
by Polly Courtney

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made me miss my bus stop., 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Feral Youth (Paperback)
I was so engrossed in this book that on one occasion I was reading on the way home, it made me miss my bus stop. `Feral Youth' is a fantastic, insightful, gritty, frightening and inspiring story. The author really pulls you into the protagonists' world. I was rooting for Alesha from the first page to the last and I've read so many books where I'm indifferent to the characters. It's not just a story about a kid surviving on the streets and her conflicting loyalties to those who come in and out of her life but it's also an important insight into inner city unrest, the issues behind the riots and the lack of choices faced by so many under-privileged people. The story itself twists and turns sometimes in a shocking, gruelling and uncomfortable way but also with very sweet, funny and exciting moments, all of which serves only for you to feel more protection for Alesha and to become drawn even deeper into the story. This is an excellently written book and I have learnt a lot of things from it. Highly recommended to all. I would LOVE to read a `sequel'.