Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, England)

Where Rainbows End
Where Rainbows End
by Cecelia Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first one!, 2 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Where Rainbows End (Paperback)
I loved PS I Love You, and was expecting this to be good - I wasn't disappointed! The style of writing - in emails, instant message, and greeting cards - is very easy to read and really makes this book stand out, mainly because it provides a completely different perspective from the usual.
This book seemed to be to be more mature than the first one - it was more like the epic sagas of Maeve Binchy or Rosie Thomas - probably because it covers such a long period of time. At one point (I don't want to give anything away!), I must admit, I did think 'oh no! not another twist!' but as I carried on reading I lost that feeling because the situation was so plausible and realistic. Generally, it kept me hooked and I read it in one afternoon and evening.
Finally, the thing I especially appreciate (call me old fashioned!) is how clean Cecilia Ahern's writing is - a little swearing, but no sex - so I'm completely happy to lend/recommend to my little sister or aunt.
Overall, a great book for a summer holiday or a cold, rainy day, or an evening on your own - fantastic escapism basically - and that's what I love!! :)

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
by Melissa Bank

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs more than one reading., 8 Jun. 2000
This book arrived this morning and I read the whole thing this afternoon. It's nothing like Bridget Jones, so I don't know why it's been marketed as though it is. There's a lot to think about in it, and it's not a blockbuster-type novel. There's about as much point in comparing this with Bridget Jones as there is in comparing films like Notting Hill (which I love - don't get me wrong) with How to Make an American Quilt. One's a story with a definite beginning, middle, and end, while the other, like this book is more of a character analysis. You can read it several times and notice different things each time.
I'm not quite sure about the chapter about the neighbours - I think if I read the whole thing a bit slower it would be saying something particular about the whole relationships and relating to people thing, which the other chapters don't. I'd really like to read a whole book on that story.
Overall, it left me with a kind of unfinished feeling, and I'm still thinking about some of the issues, but I really like it and will definitly be reading it again.

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more than just a cookbook!, 8 Jun. 2000
I've had this book for ages now, and I come back to it again and again, to use as a cookbook, but also just to read. She writes as if she was actually in the room talking to you, and was certainly successful in wanting to 'make you feel that I'm there with you in the kitchen, as you cook.' The book truly is 'the conversation that we might be having' and is extremely readable. The other thing I love about it is that the main focus of the book is not on prescriptive recipes but on the basics of cooking and running a kitchen, like making stocks, what's worth skimping on and what's not, how to save time, and generally how to cook long-term rather than just for this mealtime.