Profile for A. Worthington > Reviews

Content by A. Worthington

A. Worthington "addressa fixed person" (Gravesend)

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate, 8 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
As with many others, the character of Grace was my favourite in this novel. And this IS a character-driven work, regardless of the excellent plot and pulling together at the end. Which brings me to the main reason I so adored this novel. How many times have you read a book and thought "Boy, I can't wait to see where this is going? I'll bet this or that means something in the end?" only to find that things fall apart? This will not be the case with "House at Riverton." I was reminded at times of "The Remains of the Day" as far as the story, though this one is much more fetching, and also the novel "Bark of the Dogwood" which is TOTALLY different from this one, but has that "pulls together thing" at the end, leaving you satisfied. Overall, I have to say that "House" is now one of my favorite books. The author takes her time in giving us vital information, and sets the stage nicely for what is to come. If you're looking for some quick beach read, look someplace else. If you want a good piece of literature, this is it.

Bright Young Things [DVD] [2003]
Bright Young Things [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Stephen Campbell Moore
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Aug. 2007
Like a cross between "Cabaret" and "Moulin Rouge" this film just blew me away. I'm embarassed to say that I just saw it, and see now that it was made in 2003. It makes me wonder how many other great films I've been missing. The settings and acting are first rate and I honestly can't find a flaw in this movie. The story is set in 1930s London, before the war, and we get a look at the divine decadance that was glimpsed in "Cabaret," only the plot is more thrown about and there are some fetching scenes involving Number 10 Downing Street--the funniest part of the movie--well, not for anyone living at 10 Downing Street. At any rate, the plot centers on getting the money, losing the money--required to marry a certain girl. the twists and turns this movie takes on are just mind boggling and the editing is quirky and keeps you on your toes. Honestly, I was so disappointed by "Moulin Rouge" and this is what it should have been more like. It's like a Merchant Ivory film on drugs--this is a compliment. At any rate, the story is not only entertaining, but touching and well crafted. I just can't recommend this movie enough.

Apple iPod nano - 8GB - Black
Apple iPod nano - 8GB - Black
Offered by EXTREME DEALS

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, BUT, 8 Aug. 2007
Overall, I'd have to say this is great. But I've had mine now for a while and used it endlessly, AND, as a result have charged it over and over. At one point I thought something was wrong with the battery (it wasn't) and looked at how to replace it. What a dog and pony show! And I still couldn't get a straight answer. That said, I found that I simply wasn't allowing it to finish charging and the software I was using had a confusing message that made me think one thing was wrong when it wasn't, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I love the iPod but there are still some kinks in it. Still, it's better than anything else out there.

Water Music
Water Music
by T. C Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top five books, 8 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
I read this book years ago, picking it up on a whim. Recently I revisited it and came away with an even greater appreciation of Boyle's writing capablities and insight.

The story if fantastic, and runs the gamut from brilliant to raw--and everything inbetween. I was so taken by the writing style that I simply couldn't put this wonderful book down. It was a combination of Proust meets Nick Hornby, or perhaps Tom Robbins. Hard to explain, but it's black comedy with a touch of the fantastic.

My only complaint was that Boyle should have ended the book one chapter before he did: the tacked on epilogue section wasn't needed--did some publisher insist on this? At any rate, I still enjoyed the story and the many references to history, Africa, and the way the world was long before we began to ruin it.

Boyle captures dialect and the sights and sounds of many continents and you will come away from "Water Music" with a greater appreciation of history because of this. I would also recommend the books "Pompeii" by Harris, and "A Confederacy of Dunces" for those who like great reads.

The Bark Of The Dogwood: A Tour Of Southern Homes And Gardens
The Bark Of The Dogwood: A Tour Of Southern Homes And Gardens
by Jackson Tippett McCrae

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten stars, 8 Aug. 2007
It's rare to come across such a well-written book as this. While the premise alone is enough to pull you in (A New York magazine writer is asked to write a series on Southern homes and gardens,only to choose the homes he grew up in and visited as a child), the execution of this major work of fiction is astounding, coupling different literary styles and voices with alternating chapters. If you're one for metaphors, symbolism, snappy dialogue, well developed characters, and a plot that will make your head spin, this book is for you. But what's so amazing about it is that it can be read on so many levels. If you're looking for a good story, this is it. If you're looking for something that has several layers to it, complete with anagrams, puzzles, and double-entendres, this is also it. It's actually a book within a book--quite a unique structure, and the settings swing back and forth between New York and the South. There's running commentary on Southern traditions, what it's like to live in NY, and a little of everything else. The characters are so well thought out that they virtually leap off the page, especially those of Althea (the black housekeeper) and the evil boss (Edwin Sagaser). But the most remarkable character is Strekfus (named after Truman Capote--his real name was Truman Streckfus Persons). It's through his eyes that we see two different views of how things are. First, we are shown, via the "short stories," how he'd like to remember things. Then in the New York sections we get to hear the "stories" argued over. Toward the end of this complex and exciting novel we come to find out what really is behind these amusing tales and folks, be prepared, because it's one hell of a mystery that gets solved. There are scenes that will curl your hair, one especially about three-quarters of the way through this work. This is not for the faint-of-heart, but stay with it, for the end is especially rewarding and full of promise. The flavor of the book, and even some of its themes of race, conflict within the human heart, and growing up, are likened to Kidd's "Secret Life of Bees," though "Dogwood" moves along at a faster clip. This is one book you'll want to pass on to a friend.