Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John

Page: 1 | 2
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Adult" Reading, 10 Aug 2014
This could hardly be more different from the Harry Potter books that "made" JKR. I was quite impressed by "The Cuckoo's Calling", her first Cormoran Strike novel, and this one is even more gripping - indeed it is dynamite! She is deeply aware of the ugliness that lurks in the human psyche, and also of the compulsion that some people feel to combat it. And we get both sides here - in Spades. The two central characters - Cormoran Strike - the disabled Afghan veteran turned Private Detective - and his assistant Robin, with an equally sharp and dauntless mind - are here established as wonderful and admirable characters and also as a male/female combination. I hope JKR will continue to find worthy problems for these two to work on.

Her
Her
by Harriet Lane

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Hatred!, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Her (Hardcover)
I ended up very disappointed in this book, indeed I wish I hadn't read it. It is sensitively and fluently written, and immediately places a question in the reader's mind, which compelled me to read on. I thought I knew what the answer might be and I was tempted to find out. But the resolution, when it came, was deeply painful, even disturbing. At first I thought "This is a book to forget - quickly" Unfortunately it has lingered. There is one feeling I dislike reading about, or indeed experiencing in real life - and that is "hatred" -and that is what lingers here.

Fanny: Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones
Fanny: Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones
by Erica Jong

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing book, 7 Jun 2014
I was led to buy and read this book because of the evident connection, culturally and through family links, between Erica Jong and Vanessa Daou whose music albums seem to me to be incomparable. I haven't yet finished reading "Fanny" but it is already clear that Jong is a major talent, and that reading Jong further enhances the pleasure of listening to Daou. The connection becomes clear when listening to Daou's album "Zipless" where the penultimate song "Smoke" consists of Jong speaking her own poem adorned by the musical backing of Daou and her team. Absolutely First Class, indeed beyond compare

Joe Sent Me [Explicit]
Joe Sent Me [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars She can't go wrong, 14 April 2014
For me Vanessa Daou has built up a blend of which the meaning is clear and appealing. She is the priestess of Aphrodite

Happy (from Despicable Me 2)
Happy (from Despicable Me 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exudes happiness, 14 April 2014
This song lives up to its title. It's already very popular, an will continue to be so. One of the songs of the year

Light Sweet Crude (Act 1: Hybrid) [Explicit]
Light Sweet Crude (Act 1: Hybrid) [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 14 April 2014
anything that brings me close to Vanessa Daou is great. She has a special presence. I look forward to Act 2

Advent at Merton
Advent at Merton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Experience, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
The first effect is of a highly atmospheric sound. We feel we are in a very special place. I have never been to Merton, but now I am longing to be there and be part of a service there..

Then there is the music, which is superbly performed throughout. Also the range of the music - all, of course related to the spirit of Advent, but most of it new to me. Just one tune - "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" - keeps reappearing in different forms giving the whole sequence a most pleasing sense of unity. But it is the originality and excitement that most grips me

I believe that the Merton Choir has only in recent years come to prominence in Oxford, under the inspired leadership of Benjamin Nicholas and Peter Phillips, and they have already created a wonderful Choir.

I shall play this CD every day throughout Advent. It is a magical disc.

The Secret History
The Secret History

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Nov 2013
I bought this book after reading an enthusiastic article about it In The Guardian where it was described as a classic. In fact it has little merit other than an unusual structure , a moderately interesting narrator, and some thinking on the workings of guilt and conscience. But the world of the novel is deeply unpleasant and shallow as are most of the characters. It is a long winded and empty piece of work.

The Lakers, The
The Lakers, The
by Norman Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding and original book, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Lakers, The (Paperback)
This is neither a book about the Lake District, nor a book about the writers whose work is dealt with here. It is rather a work which looks at the Lake District through the eyes of writers over a period of about two centuries . As we read it we are seeing through the eyes of others, from the earliest times, around 1700, when people explored the Lake District, to John Ruskin, who lived his last years on the shores of Lake Coniston.

It is a work of both scrupulous scholarship and personal passion, for there is no doubt that NN loved the Lake District, and indeed lived almost all his life in the small town of Millom, on the coastal fringe of the region. In its recent 1995 paperback edition the book is beautifully printed and presented, with colour illustrations from paintings of the region which supplement the work of the writers, to whom NN has given the title name "The Lakers".

The publisher is Cicerone Press, Milnthorpe, Cumbria, Milnthorpe being a small town just outside the boundaries of the Lake District, but within sight of the hills.

This book looks and feels and reads like a labour of love on the part of everyone involved, from the writer onwards.

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Cover, Onyx Black  [will only fit Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2nd Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Cover, Onyx Black [will only fit Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2nd Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly designed, 29 Sep 2013
This Kindle in itself is a superb piece of work and a delight to use. The cover is equally good - a pleasure to handle and use. I am loving the whole package. Previously I have not been impressed by e-readers, but this is in a different league to ones I have seen before.

Page: 1 | 2