Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John

Page: 1 | 2
Armstrong Gibbs: Song Album 1 For Low Or Medium Voice. Sheet Music for Medium Voice, Piano Accompaniment
Offered by Musicroom

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Mar. 2015
A superb collection of songs, well printed and a pleasure to use.

Berlioz: L'enfance du Christ
Berlioz: L'enfance du Christ

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Shepherds' Farewell, 13 Feb. 2015
Excellent music and recording. It became my favourite listening music over Christmas - especially The Shepherds' Farewell which is performed with a sensitivity I've never heard before. The grace notes on the oboes were sublime. I heard that particular piece so many times this last Christmas, but this was the version that pleased me most..

Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse Series Book 1)
Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entering a new world, 5 Oct. 2014
I have just latched onto the Dexter / Morse / Lewis phenomenon and so it's like whole new world opening up in front of me. It's not "great literature" but it certainly is entertaining and clever. The prospect of reading all the 13 novels, and also watching all the "Morse" and "Lewis" videos is simply delightful. Each novel needs reading twice to appreciate the clever detail, and each video needs watching twice too. Add to all this the wonderful backdrop of the magical City of Oxford .... and I feel I am onto a very good thing! This novel is the first of Dexter's Morse novels, so this really is like a first step.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Adult" Reading, 10 Aug. 2014
This could hardly be more different from the Harry Potter books that "made" JKR. I was quite impressed by "The Cuckoo's Calling", her first Cormoran Strike novel, and this one is even more gripping - indeed it is dynamite! She is deeply aware of the ugliness that lurks in the human psyche, and also of the compulsion that some people feel to combat it. And we get both sides here - in Spades. The two central characters - Cormoran Strike - the disabled Afghan veteran turned Private Detective - and his assistant Robin, with an equally sharp and dauntless mind - are here established as wonderful and admirable characters and also as a male/female combination. I hope JKR will continue to find worthy problems for these two to work on.

Her
Her
by Harriet Lane

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Hatred!, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Her (Hardcover)
I ended up very disappointed in this book, indeed I wish I hadn't read it. It is sensitively and fluently written, and immediately places a question in the reader's mind, which compelled me to read on. I thought I knew what the answer might be and I was tempted to find out. But the resolution, when it came, was deeply painful, even disturbing. At first I thought "This is a book to forget - quickly" Unfortunately it has lingered. There is one feeling I dislike reading about, or indeed experiencing in real life - and that is "hatred" -and that is what lingers here.

Fanny: Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones
Fanny: Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones
by Erica Jong

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing book, 7 Jun. 2014
I was led to buy and read this book because of the evident connection, culturally and through family links, between Erica Jong and Vanessa Daou whose music albums seem to me to be incomparable. I haven't yet finished reading "Fanny" but it is already clear that Jong is a major talent, and that reading Jong further enhances the pleasure of listening to Daou. The connection becomes clear when listening to Daou's album "Zipless" where the penultimate song "Smoke" consists of Jong speaking her own poem adorned by the musical backing of Daou and her team. Absolutely First Class, indeed beyond compare

Joe Sent Me [Explicit]
Joe Sent Me [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars She can't go wrong, 14 April 2014
For me Vanessa Daou has built up a blend of which the meaning is clear and appealing. She is the priestess of Aphrodite

Happy (From "Despicable Me 2")
Happy (From "Despicable Me 2")

5.0 out of 5 stars Exudes happiness, 14 April 2014
This song lives up to its title. It's already very popular, an will continue to be so. One of the songs of the year

Light Sweet Crude (Act 1: Hybrid) [Explicit]
Light Sweet Crude (Act 1: Hybrid) [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 14 April 2014
anything that brings me close to Vanessa Daou is great. She has a special presence. I look forward to Act 2

Advent at Merton
Advent at Merton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Experience, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
The first effect is of a highly atmospheric sound. We feel we are in a very special place. I have never been to Merton, but now I am longing to be there and be part of a service there..

Then there is the music, which is superbly performed throughout. Also the range of the music - all, of course related to the spirit of Advent, but most of it new to me. Just one tune - "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" - keeps reappearing in different forms giving the whole sequence a most pleasing sense of unity. But it is the originality and excitement that most grips me

I believe that the Merton Choir has only in recent years come to prominence in Oxford, under the inspired leadership of Benjamin Nicholas and Peter Phillips, and they have already created a wonderful Choir.

I shall play this CD every day throughout Advent. It is a magical disc.

Page: 1 | 2