Profile for Shae D > Reviews

Content by Shae D

Shae D "aka Morathi's Darkest Sin on Dakka Dakka." (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)
Offered by Go2Games

3.0 out of 5 stars WAR is over.. almost., 9 Dec 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This is not so much a full review but a warning to buyers of the game in all its editions.

Due to licensing issues (GW said no to a new agreement basically) WAR ends on December 18th 2013. After this date there will be NO active servers in the world, so you would be in effect buying a Warhammer related tea coaster in disc box form.

It's not really worth buying with nine days to go either, as I believe they made the whole game free to play for the last month, before the game gets turned off in little more than a weeks time.

So yeah, just a heads up to anyone who may have missed the memo, do not buy this.

Regarding the game, it was okay. It had problems at lauch, GOA (the french company running the servers for Mythic EU side made some major mistakes that hurt the launch here, and bugs where terrible especially regarding PVP which was its main selling point, hence its rapid fall from fame.

However once you got past that it was a fun game in its own way and could happily take up an evening of your play time just as easily as WoW, with the added bonus you where the playing in a Warhammer equivilent world. There where some issues with the ammount of content depending on the zone you started in mind, High Elves and Dark Elves felt empty in some places compared to the Empire and Chaos zones. Then the switch to the free trial model that forced everyone to start in the Empire/Chaos zone regardless of faction was the death knell of any serious growth and shortly after the game went into life support mode.

I did enjoy a brief but interesting time there, mainly playing Druchii (Dark Elves to non fans of the Warhammer lore) but the bugs and issues that dogged the release over here in the EU would eventually force me back to WoW. I came back now and then, just for the odd week, to look at my characters, I got lucky and the last EU realm was the one I started on with my Order characters so I had some pretty good names even up to the end, but sadly the game could not keep my interest enough to get a single alt to max level.

Part of me hopes some one else takes another crack at the genre one day down the road, but for now, the Mythic version of Warhammers world is coming to an end and it is a pity that I'm generelly not that bothered.

I'd give it 3 stars across the board, it had its moments, but it could and probably should have been so much better.

New Nail Varnish Acrylic 3 Tier Display Stand Holds 30 Bottles
New Nail Varnish Acrylic 3 Tier Display Stand Holds 30 Bottles

5.0 out of 5 stars Games Workshop paints fit in it lovely, 25 Oct 2013
Took a chance on this and picked it up for my GW paints as someone else mentioned they had used one for Vallejo. Well I can confirm that GW also fit in this very handy stand and it certainly helps in sorting out any gamers painting area.

The important info is each shelf holds nine pots, so twenty seven in all. You don't save any footprint space so to speak, as it sits in roughtly the same ammount of space as the twenty seven pots if in three rows of nine, but obviously the shelves allow you to see the paints at a glance.

Its turned out that useful in the couple of weeks since I got it, that I am planning on picking up a couple more shortly, highly recommended to any painters using GW paint looking for a cheap paint stand option.

Disney Infinity Toy Story Playset Pack (Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii/Wii U/3DS)
Disney Infinity Toy Story Playset Pack (Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii/Wii U/3DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Playset yet, 25 Oct 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Possibly because many rate Toy Story as the best of the Pixar films and the fact we have had three movies over the years, but I find myself grinning like a lad while watching and hearing the characters we have all come to know and love on the big screen in this set.

What certainly helps is that of all the packs so far, this one has had some of the more interesting gameplay elements and the story is quite funny from what I've played myself and from what I have also seen my boys play. The jetpack is worth the price of admission alone to be brutally honest, it really is that good and I fnd myself just jetting around, the Buzz Lightyear adventure also makes great use of it. However in all it has a very strong platform feel, even more so than the others released so far and the challenges seem a little more challenging which is a good thing.

Voice work is stellar, apart from the big two (which is shame, but in the case of Woody Tom's brother Jim provides the voice, and Buzz is voiced by the same actor who has done him in all other previous Toy Story video games so he's got it pretty much spot on) all of the main characters are voiced by the same actors who did so in the films. That shines through out and hearing John Ratzenburger delivering some very whitty lines as Hamm, or Wallace Shawn doing his full on Rex panic mode is just brilliant. Also having the Pixar artist who provided the Aliens voice is a great boon as the little green fellas have a key part to play as the main townsfolk and being the focus of many missions you will need to compleate. There are some film quotes mingled in, but these are more of a pop culture reference for fans of the films rather than a budget saver as all these lines where redone for Infinity, thankfully I've only heard Eternally Grateful a couple of times so far. :D

Obviously the pack is also adding lots of Toy Story themed goodness to the Toy box mode, and some nifty new items. Did I mention the Jetpack, I feel the need to raise that again, but you also get shrink and grow blasters, a jumping pack which is a must for getting the best of the Jetpack as it can't gain altitude, its only drawback. Also several new buildings and both Bullseye and an alien horse riding mount which adds more options for racing game ideas.

Overall its a great pack, just nudges out The Lone Ranger for gameplay elements and for me is a must buy for any Disney Infinity fan.

Toy Story 2 (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Toy Story 2 (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Toy Story, 25 Oct 2013
If you haven't seen these three films, you basically need to. Possibly three of the best animated films of all time, certainly at least one of them would be in the top five, probably all of them in the top ten of many peoples lists.

Toy Story 2 introduces my favourite character to the series, Jessie voiced by the wonderful Joan Cusack and with one of the most touching songs/sequences in the the whole series with the beautiful 'When she loved me' moment about two thirds in.

Amazing film, would recommend it to anyone.

Arrietty [Blu-ray]
Arrietty [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hiromasa Yonebayashi

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best from Ghibli, but a good watch, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Arrietty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's missing something, not sure what it is, but compared to other Ghibli films it just didn't drag me in. Its still a great animated film, can't fault the art direction or the story in general, but yeah.. it needed just something else and it would have been amazing.

My middle lad did hope there would be a sequel however, so it caught his interest enough and I enjoyed to a degree that I feel it deserves four stars. Although I've not encountered a ghibli film yet I'd rate below four stars.

Groundhog Day [Blu-ray] [1993]
Groundhog Day [Blu-ray] [1993]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite fillm, 28 Mar 2013
I'm not sure I need to say much more than that, this is one of the best films ever, its just a perfect movie, I honestly can't pick up any faults on it, and dread the day its brought up in a 'remake' meeting in Hollywood.

If you haven't seen it, you need to see this film, its just brilliant, and if you have seen it, but don't own the bluray. It is absolutely worth the upgrade, excellent quality through out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 4:36 PM BST

Opposites
Opposites
Offered by Rock&PopCDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album so far, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Opposites (Audio CD)
Aye, I'm sure that will get the back up of some older fans of the band, but this is just a fething masterpiece. One of the best albums I have listened to in a long time, and although a couple of songs took more than one listen, they have all wormed under my skin over the short few weeks since I purchased it, and I'd rate it in my top ten albums of all time without any hesitation.

Just purely, amazing stuff. They have hit a goldmine with this run of form, I hope it runs and runs as they are fast becoming my favourite band of all time.

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Offered by The Book Depository Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad way to test out the dice system for the future product, or indeed Warhammer, 28 Mar 2013
Picked this up because I was semi interested in the Warhammer fantasy box, and the future release of Edge of a Empire, but was not fully convinced over the dice aspect of the game. The Warhammer box is a very high buy in price for something that may or may not pan out as something I'd enjoy.

So I grabbed this, as the cost made it a viable test product, with the bonus I can keep the dice when EotE launches as a book later this year, so will effectively save back some of the cost of this product as I will not need any dice.

Rules wise, I won't go into too much detail, but I was impressed, enough that I will probably be picking up Warhammer at some point and I will definitely be getting EotE on release.
Although not your typical roll playing set up due to the unique dice style, it works well, and will work well hand in hand with the actual role playing when the game gets going. Although I'll admit its not one hundred percent neccesary, the good luck and bad luck situations that can come up based on the roll can add a surprise element to the DM/ST/GM running the game, giving you something else to keep you on your toes and inspire the story.

The characters are standard created fare, and as someone who is not a fan of created characters I skipped over them, and just nabbed the stats to make up a stand in of my own. I also ignored the mission, just using the rules as given to run my own short game, but thats a general flaw of mine, and not the games. To many others I am sure it would be a fine little intro game, and from my flick over it seems to do a goood job of introducing the concepts of the new fragment of the Star Wars universe we will be playing in come release.

Obviously without the full book its hard to fully gauge exactly how good the final EotE product will be, but there are promising glimers of light in this pack, and I am hopeful it will be a fun game, unique dice design and all.

Okay on saying that, its not going to replace traditional dice based RPGs anytime soon, but its a fun alternative and certainly worth a groups gaming time. The fact its Star Wars is obviously going to be a boon to any fan, and from what I've seen. This will be more fun than the D20 version of the Star Wars RPG, maybe not beating West End's version, but that is like gold dust these days, so this will be a good compromise.

Basically I'd certainly recommend it to fellow RPG fans, and in particular those with groups who want a 'chill out' game to accompany a more serious mainstay game when the GM or players fancy a break/time out. To any Star Wars fans who do not have the good fortune to own the West end version, this is looking like the best version in a long while, and I am really interested in seeing where FFG take it.
They have done amazing things with the 40K lore and universe for its RPG, I am hoping for some of the same for Star Wars.

The Blues Brothers [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Blues Brothers [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ John Belushi

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading to Blu ray, 28 Mar 2013
I've seen this film many times over the years, and I think it is well known enough not to require a detailed review. It really goes without saying that it is probably one of the best musicals of all time, and possibly John Belushi's stand out film of his excellent but sadly short career.

As to the Blu ray itself, well its an excellent transfer, very happy with it and well worth the upgrade, if you don't have this on Blu ray I'd certainly recommended it, and if you don't have it on DVD either, well what are you waiting for.. a mission from god?

Making Mirrors
Making Mirrors
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I miss this guy, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Making Mirrors (Audio CD)
Been hearing Somebody That I used to Know for about three months on the work radio, finally by pure chance bumped into the same song on VH-1 about two weeks ago, and finally had a name to track down. Came straight here and ordered the album, and pretty much it hasn't left my CD player since.

The first listen other than Somebody That I used to Know, I was hmm, not sure. Picked up Lana Del Ray on the strength of Born to Die, but felt the rest of the album was poor, so was worried it might be the same.

However something caught my ear in Save me, Bronte, Eyes wide open and State of the Art that raised my interest, where as little else on Born to Die could say the same. So I keapt listening through the whole album rather than just listen to the favoured track. I have to say the album has its moments anyways, but it is certainly a grower, after two weeks, those four I now consider stand out songs alongside Somebody, as well as Easy way out, In your light and Giving me a chance.

The others are also good, on my media player all the ones I have mentioned so far I rate as five stars, the rest are fours. Its an excellent album, I highly recommend it to anyone. He's up there with Brandon Flowers amazing Flamingo album, Own the Night by Lady Antebellum and Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters, for one of my favourite albums of the past twelve months or so.

So much so, I have just ordered the previous album, Like drawing blood, and hope good things from it as well.

This guy has amazing talent, I can only hope we see more from him in the future.

Page: 1 | 2