Profile for xxshowponyxx > Reviews

xxshowponyxx

The Expats
The Expats

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turning read, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Easy reading and fast paced.
An enjoyable read and not obvious ending that kept me interested to the last page

Making Cupcakes with Lola
Making Cupcakes with Lola
by Romy Lewis & Victoria Jossel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another cupcake book, 11 Nov. 2011
I did not consider pre ordering this book as I already own all of the Hummingbird, Primrose, Magnolia and Crabapple bakery books and thought that this would have nothing new to offer, I was wrong!!!!

Split into four sections it has so many different recipes I gave into temptation eventually!!

Lighter Side of Decadance: features, Pear and Olive Oil, Granola and Yoghurt, Manuka Honey, Ginger Lemon, vegan Red Velvet, Lemon Coconut, Acai Berry Superfood, Mango Berry Swirl, Pumpkin Cinnamon, Blueberry White Chocolate, Cherry Chocolate, Vanilla Cherry Blossom, Passionfruit Meringue, Marmalade Mallow, and Gluten Free Orange Chocolate.

Over The Top: features, Caramel Biscotti, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Elvis (peanut butter and banana), Hi-Hat Marshamllow, S'mores, Butterscotch Pie, Chocolate Marshmallow, Cookie Dough, Dark Chocolate truffle, Pistachio Chocolate Chip, Hazelnut Praline, Fudge Brownie, Chocolate Sundae, Melted Bento, Caramel Apple Muesli, Pecan Pie, Vanilla Chocolate Rainbow, Rainbow Velvet, Macadamia White Chocolate Cheesecake, Chocolate Cheesecake, Sticky Toffee, Toffee Apple, Salted Caramel, and Cinnamon Twist.

Lets Have a Cuppa: features, Masala Chai Tea, Cappuccino Wafer, Gingerbread Latte, Chocolate Matcha, Mint Hot Chocolate, Espresso Tiramisu, Boozy Fun, Cosmo, and Chocolate Baileys.

Finally Always Favourites: featuring, Carrot, Chocolate, Vanilla, Banana, Vanilla milk Chocolate, Red Velvet, Lemon, Rocky Road, Vegan Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Milk, Strawbwrry, Coconut and Lime, Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate.

All of my favourites were in there, plus some new ones too.

This book gives recipes in both grams and american cup measurements. The majority of ingredients are English, although some US ones do sneak in such as marshmallow fluff and canned pumpkin puree. As a previous poster said these recipes make a considerable amount of batter and frosting, but I think they give finished numbers of cupcakes with the trend to make muffin sized cupcakes in mind, rather than the smaller 'fairy' size.

I also like that all recipes have a photo and most of the cupcakes have a filling in them. This mixed with some really different recipes mean I give this book 5/5

Italian Home Baking: 100 Irresistible Recipes for Bread, Biscuits, Cakes, Pizza, Pasta and Party Food
by Gino D'Acampo

5.0 out of 5 stars Bellisimo!!!!, 4 Nov. 2011
I wont include another list of the chapters and recipes in this book as the previous reviewer has already done this, but I will say that I love the mix of Ginos stories from home, tied in to each section of the book.

This is my first Gino book but having just eaten the Filone Rustico con Olive (Olive bread)it definitely wont be my last!!! This is the first time my home made bread has such been a resounding success, and enjoyed by my usually non bread eating OH!!!

There are so many great recipes (100 to be exact) that I cant wait to decide what to make next.

I am an avid collector of baking and italian cookery books so this book ticks both my boxes and will become a well used kitchen staple, especially if all of the recipes turn out as well as todays attempt.

The Hairy Bikers' Perfect Pies: The Ultimate Pie Bible from the Kings of Pies
The Hairy Bikers' Perfect Pies: The Ultimate Pie Bible from the Kings of Pies
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hairy Bikers impress me again!!!, 13 Oct. 2011
I have eagerly awaited the release of this book and it has exceeded all my expectations.

Firstly the very size of the book - almost 400 pages filled with hints, tips, photos and of course recipes!!!

The chapters are split into Double crust pies, Handheld pies,Top crust pies, Open topped pies and tarts, Plate pies, Party pies, Raised and freeform pies, Fancy pies and suet puds, Sides salads and sauces, Leftovers and The basics.

Some of the old favourites are here plus the classics with a twist and some new and different flavours. I really cannot wait to get started on these recipes, but it will be a difficult job deciding which one to choose first!

I know from my previous HB books that their recipes are successful without any need to check or tweak!!!

Lots and lots of recipes for sweet and savoury, vegetarian and meat/fish pies of all kinds plus delicious ideas for sides. I know this book will be used again and again for dinners with family and friends, whether something down to earth or more impressive is required.

The Hairy Bikers have done it again!!!!

The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
by Tarek Malouf

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Hummingbird, Love Cake Days, 3 Sept. 2011
I have had this book for a while but have only just got around to using it (possibly as I already have so many baking books?!?!)I always have to scale recipes down by half as my OH doesnt eat much cake and this in itself can sometimes 'sort the men from the boys' recipe wise!!
I have just made the chocolate orange cupcakes (as my OH does eat Jaffa Cakes!- can you see my thinking here?)and they are absolutely gorgeous! I feel these will dissapear quite quickly! I have now reinstated both hummingbird books to my main bookcase, and will be trying out lots more of the tempting recipes in this book in the very near future!

Mary Berry's Baking Bible
Mary Berry's Baking Bible
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible indeed, 20 Feb. 2011
I have made several recipes from this book now and every single one of them has turned out perfectly!!

I have so many baking books with recipes that give dissapointing results, but his book along with Bake and Decorate by Fiona Cairns are the ones I go to first for a cake recipe!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2011 8:41 AM GMT

The Hairy Bikers' 12 Days of Christmas: Fabulous Festive Recipes to Feed Your Family and Friends
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew I loved the Hairy Bikers?, 20 Oct. 2010
There I was minding my own business wandering around Tesco when I found myself in the book aisle.

Remembering I had a glut of pears sitting in a box on my kitchen table I thought I would flick through a few of the new releases in search of inspiration. The other books had pear cake, pear pudding and pear crumble etc etc, but I knew without looking I had no room in my freezer to accomodate such things.

The hairy bikers 12 days of christmas? Surely that will be full of recipes for burgers, pies and MEAT - along with other such biker-esque fare? Imagine my suprise when I read the recipe for pickled pears, goose risotto, chocolate and chesnut roulade......

I bought the book and already have the pickled pears maturing in my cupboard, along with christmas pudding vodka, and Im planning on adding a christmas cake to my store

I cannot believe I have missed out on this fantastic duo for so long!! They now have a new fan in their biker gang!

This is a well thought out and well laid out book with fantastic recipes to get you all excited about Christmas. Packed full of recipes I cant wait to try....is it to early to get my advent calender out?

The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties
by Linda Collister

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the simple recipes that are all about taste!, 20 Oct. 2010
I bought this book whilst following the series, and along with other reviewers I am dissapointed that more of the recipes from the show arent here (although maybe the contestants didnt want to share their own recipes)

However as a stand alone book I love it. Packed full of simple classics that are all about taste and havent been fussed and faffed with to add a 'modern twist'

I have the apple pie with cheese pastry cooling on my kitchen counter and it smells appley and cheesey divine!!

Other recipes I have prepared have been simple, without the fuss of hundreds of ingredients, and most important of all they taste delicious.

As a complete irrelevance - I love the ditzy union jack cover!!

Bake & Decorate
Bake & Decorate
by Fiona Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic assortment of delectable recipes, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Bake & Decorate (Hardcover)
I have just baked the pistachio and orange cake from this book and it was very easy to follow. The recipe did look a bit 'faffy' when I read it but it was all explained clearly and methodically and so was actually very easy to make.

There are so many recipes in this book that I cannot wait to try out, but as my OH does not have a sweet tooth it will have to be one at a time.......

What I love about this book is that it has recipes which are not duplicated in my (far too many) other baking books and the photos are very inspiring.