ARRAY(0xa7cac558)

Profile for Sarah-Louise J > Reviews

Content by Sarah-Louise J

Sarah-Louise J (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Savages
The Savages
by Matt Whyman
Price: 5.03

1.0 out of 5 stars one of the most pointless books in existence, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Savages (Paperback)
I realize the title of my review is quite a statement. There must be more pointless books, but as an avid reader I rarely come across a book that is this poor.

About a family of essentially unlikeable characters who eat people and talk about the succulence of human flesh and how they can smell if the meat on a person is good etc etc. (Yuk and Yawn in equal measure)

If you have any kind of imagination this book will put you off your tea. And it doesn't have anything interesting or profound or even compelling to say. People may read it because its 'sensational' although it doesn't really even managed that. To be truly sensational it ought to be possible to care about the characters. It has no substance.

Its not the 'witty bliss' it is proclaimed to be in the blurb, its really just a rather unsavoury and pointless book. I really do wonder why any writer would waste time writing it. And from one reader to another, do save time and don't bother to read it. While there is still paint to watch drying, there is no merit in this kind of pulp.

And this is the worst review I've written of anything, I couldn't not write a review. That's how bad I believe it is....

Lindt Excellence Crunchy Caramel 100g
Lindt Excellence Crunchy Caramel 100g
Offered by The Gift Destination
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars magical chocolate, 31 Aug 2013
If the chocolate shop in Harry Potter- Honeydukes- made chocolate for us muggles...this would be it! Oh my gosh!!!!! There aren't actually enough stars! If you have a craving for delicious chocolate then this really is amazing stuff!

Black Hills
Black Hills
by Nora Roberts
Price: 5.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy and harmless, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Black Hills (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book, but it was overlong, and lacked any kind of suspence or excitement. It was like a Mary Higgins Clark novel without all the bits that make Mary Higgins Clark any good!

If I could describe it in three words I'd go with: Daft, Tedious and Unsatisfying! I wouldve given it one star but according to amazon that would mean I hated it and its too bland to warrant that!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars abysmal slogan, 2 Mar 2013
How appalling that in allowing this item to be sold Amazon is not only condoning such amorality but also impacting on their own standing and reputation. Utterly unnacceptable and incomprehensible!

My Mad Fat Diary
My Mad Fat Diary
by Rae Earl
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Fabulous and Frankly Brilliant, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Paperback)
This book is a joy! The true diary of the author, its funny, sad, uplifting, poignant and hopeful. In some ways it is a book about every nice girl there ever was! We' re all eccentric in our individual ways. I rooted for Rae and I admired her. When it finished my first thought was to come online to look for a sequel!

Birdhouse Journal (Diary, Notebook)
Birdhouse Journal (Diary, Notebook)
Price: 7.54

4.0 out of 5 stars make a little birdhouse in your soul, 8 Jan 2013
I bought this and I was at first a bit disappointed. The word 'twee' sprung to mind. Yes, it is still twee but its also rather lovely. Its a sugary sweet notebook with no regard for colour schemes or elegance. Thank goodness for that- the perfect notebook antidote to the winter blues!

If you buy this, it will grow on you.
I even find myself contemplating buying another as there is only one left in stock at the moment. But I rather like the idea someone else will get to have this a5 birdhouse delight in their lives too!

Folk Art Birds Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Mid-Size Journal)
Folk Art Birds Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Mid-Size Journal)
Price: 6.66

4.0 out of 5 stars really nice, 8 Jan 2013
Yes, I like this a lot! The picture is, in my opinion spot on- although there's the added loveliness of shinyness and gold tree trunks which make it really nice! I'm very glad I bought it!

Enchanted Forest Journal (Diary, Notebook)
Enchanted Forest Journal (Diary, Notebook)
Price: 6.98

2.0 out of 5 stars pleasantish, 8 Jan 2013
Reasonably pleasant to look at. Much paler than the picture. Slight glitteriness which makes it interesting. To be honest, words like 'nice' gentle' and 'easily overlooked' spring to mind. For the money it pales (literally) in comparison to other journals around and isn't quite nice enough to be even a little bit fabulous. I wouldn't have bought It, if I had seen it in a shop. I'm not even sure I would have noticed it!

Cherry Blossoms Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Artisan Series) (Artisan Journal)
Cherry Blossoms Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Artisan Series) (Artisan Journal)
Price: 11.65

1.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing, 8 Jan 2013
I love peter pauper press notebooks/journals. Their mid size, oversize and some of their small (the enchanted forest being a notable exception) are stunning. A real joy to write in so I imagined that this 'artisan' journal would be pretty special. Its not. Its much darker than the picture with a very floppy mock-leather cover and ordinary embossing on the front. The pages are gilded (why bother, with such a let down of a notebook?) And the whole thing looks cheap and a bit sad. Its the most forlorn notebook I've ever bought. And I have bought many. Don't avoid Peter pauper press- some of their journals are beyond exquisite (my personal favourites being the enlightenment oversize journal (red and gorgeous), the safari cows midsize(pink and silly which is wonderful), the folk art birds midsize journal (fabulous), the spirit of flight oversize journal (gorgeous cover) and the japanese garden (small) journal which is beautiful!

So disappointing. Cheap, plasticky, rotten. I can't even imagine writing in it, so it will be used for something prosaic like shopping lists!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 2:27 PM BST

Peacock Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Oversized Journal Series)
Peacock Journal (Notebook, Diary) (Oversized Journal Series)
Price: 10.46

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but be aware, 2 Oct 2012
stunning, tome like, notebook. truly excellent quality but be aware that it has leather corners and spine. not a problem for most people but something that ought to be mentioned!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7