Profile for stoveboy78 > Reviews

Soho Cooking
Soho Cooking
by Alastair Little

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: Soho Cooking (Hardcover)
This book has a lot of great variety. Like all of Alastair Little's books the recipes are spot on and creative. I have cooked from this book in my cafe for years. I would recommend it highly, all the reviews are 5 star which speaks for its self. The fish and meat sections are outstanding and Little's comments and blurbs always make everything seem so much more accessible. Buying this book is a worthy addition to any cookbook collection.

Bistro Cooking: 21st Birthday Edition
Bistro Cooking: 21st Birthday Edition
by Patricia Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars unknown gem, 16 Nov 2010
This was the first book I ever bought on cooking 16 years ago. I'm still a chef and still love this book the recipes always work and true the layout is hard to follow sometimes, but the little comments about the history of the dishes and who the bistro belongs too just make the book more endearing in my opinion. I cannot believe more people do not own this wonderfull cookery book. All of her other books do not compare to this one they always were going to struggle to compare to this unknown masterpiece. The recipes are atractive and always work and the chicken dishes really put all of the other meat books out in the cold. Highly recommended.

Avoca Cafe Cookbook, Book 2
Avoca Cafe Cookbook, Book 2
by Hugo Arnold

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first., 23 Sep 2010
Often with second books they can be a real dissapointment. Not so with this cookbook, the recipes always work and the baking section is exemplary. I have been to the cafe in Dublin and purchase this book there and then it enables you to recreate the food at home for friends and family. A very empowering and accessibile cookbook.

The Food of Northern Spain: Recipes from the Gastronomic Heartland of Spain
The Food of Northern Spain: Recipes from the Gastronomic Heartland of Spain
by Jenny Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and clear recipes, 8 Sep 2010
I have been to the Plum cookery school and bought this book while I was learning to cook, the recipes are easy to follow and everything is very vibrant. This is a book for anyone interested in an introduction to spanish food and takes away some of the fear around how to use unknown ingriedients as well as being beautifully photographed.

The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine
The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine
by Rudolph Chelminski

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad and brilliant story, 8 Sep 2010
This a very interesting book for any chef or lover of fine dining to look at the history of Michelin and Haute Cuisine in France. The story is both moving and sad especially as you are aware of what the ending will be. This gifted and sensitive man shaped french food in the nineties and his impact on those around him was inspiring. I felt as if I knew him just from reading the book and more often that not biographies fail on that level.

Lostboy!
Lostboy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 23 Jun 2010
This review is from: Lostboy! (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of simple minds for years, they are one of the few bands I always return to. I fell out of them in the late 90,s but came back to them with black and white. I was so pleased when Jim kerr brought this album out and to say I was suprised by how strong it is would be an underestimation. Nail through my heart and shadowlands are classics and I love driving to this album and would recommend it to all Simple Minds fans.

A Yorkshire Lad: My Life with Recipes
A Yorkshire Lad: My Life with Recipes
by Brian Turner

4.0 out of 5 stars my life with recipes, 1 Sep 2009
Brian Turner is one of the outstanding british chefs. People pan him for the cookery shows this is a bit of a disgrace if you ask me, he was in the kitchen for decades real front line cooking at a standard most chefs couldnt even muster. All in all I found the second half of the book more enjoyable and informative and all the recipes are accesable and actualy work. He comes over as a humble genuine man, with a work ethic and talent that he has not wasted. Very enjoyable book to either read as a oner or as a book to dip into. My only critisim was that he does not reveal more kitchen strategies and kitchen managment a sort of"unwillingness". To pass on secrets or knowledge would have been very inspiring indeed. A good read though.

HOME FOOD: Exploring the World's Best Cooking
HOME FOOD: Exploring the World's Best Cooking
by Richard Whittington

4.0 out of 5 stars home cooking, 1 Sep 2009
A wonderful informative book with lots of recipes and not a lot of pictures.
The author takes you around the world which is enjoyable and he is well informed and passionate. A lot of cook books focus on either one style or one culture or skit from place to place with no cohesion, I have thourghly enjoyed this book I am a chef by trade and this book has been a wonderful addition both at home and at work. Great writing from one of the best cookery writers around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5