Profile for Con Lafferty > Reviews

Content by Con Lafferty

Con Lafferty "Cheese baguette" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Limited Edition Gold Wii Remote Bundle
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Limited Edition Gold Wii Remote Bundle

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 24 Nov 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I am a huge Zelda fan and Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are my favourite games of all time. However, am I the only person that is a little disappointed with this game. Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying it and the level design in parts is ace; however, it is far too easy. I have been really annoyed several times in this game as the characters, especially Fi keep spoiling the puzzles for me. At the end of the 4th dungeon there is a really great puzzle but when you get to the point at which you are about to solve it, there is a stone slab for you to read which completely spoils the puzzle. I am at the 6th dungeon and there was a puzzle involving using the map(I don't want to spoil it), and one of the Mogmas spoil that puzzle also. It is absolutely infuriating. In the 5th dungeon, Fi spoils another puzzle for you. I think when there are optional hints at any time you want them (which I never do), having these puzzles mandatory spoiled for you is just infuriating. Also the mini games are incredibly annoying and the music is a bit boring. I do highly recommend the game as some parts of it are just absolutely fantastic.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 3:29 PM GMT

Ponyo - Deluxe Edition [Blu-ray]
Ponyo - Deluxe Edition [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought, 17 May 2011
What an absolutely beautiful movie. I had a huge grin on my face all day after watching this film. I believe it is much better than it was made out to be. It is definitely one of the better Ghibli films although the character Liam Neeson voices is rather creepy. The animation and the art in this film is simply mesmerising; without a doubt it has the best image quality and colour out of all the Blu-rays I own which is a lot. I strongly advise anyone who enjoys animation to purchase this film.

Pokemon SoulSilver (Nintendo DS)
Pokemon SoulSilver (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly complex, 22 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is quite simply the greatest Pokemon game ever created. It has 16 gym badges to collect opposed to 8 so it is essentially two games in one; the game is simply enormous. It is incredibly easy to learn this game; however, underneath its simplicity is a very complex levelling and move set system which will take years to master in order to battle with the elite players online. I have not been able to stop playing this game since I purchased it. The story is a bit boring and the process of trading is still a bit of a chore but trying to catch and evolve all Pokemon is more addictive than it has ever been. I am really looking forward to playing Pokemon Black now.

Super Mario All-Stars - 25th Anniversary Edition (Wii)
Super Mario All-Stars - 25th Anniversary Edition (Wii)

2.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 8 Dec 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I believe that this game is an absolute rip off. Although the games are still playable, it has cost Nintendo very little to release 4 NES games updated to SNES quality on a Wii disk. This game is just another way for Nintendo to make money by ripping off their fans. At the very least, this disc should have included Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. They could have even included games such as Mario Golf, Mario Tennis and possibly even the Mario Land games. Other companies release compilation discs such as Sega with a much larger collection of games at an even lesser price. I think Nintendo should do the same instead of milking their franchises for all they can. I absolutely love Nintendo's games; however, they are making a fool of people by releasing limited compilations such as this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2011 12:16 PM GMT

Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Wii)
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Wii)
Offered by express111GB
Price: 217.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value Package Ever!, 26 Aug 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I would never review a game without purchasing it first (I have it pre-ordered) however, since I have spent over one hundred hours playing all three of these gems I think it gives me the right to express my opinion of them.
For the price of one game you will be blessed with the two greatest adventure games, in my opinion the best overall games, of the last generation of consoles along with the best adventure game of this generation of consoles.
For those of who have not played these games they are immensely challenging with thick layers of action based and cerebral gameplay. Each game is incredibly expansive and will each take around twenty-five hours to complete, possibly longer if like me you appreciate the challenge of collecting all the energy, missile and weapon packs. I really don't like to use the term "hardcore" however these three games are the single most "hardcore" games available. I prefer using the term "for the core gamer" as this is certainly not a brainless shooter such as Gears of War, an example of a game that certain gamers think they are "hardcore" for playing.
The games are first person adventure games and are played entirely from viewing through Samas Aran's helmet visor. There are various visors used for solving puzzles within each game such as a thermal visor, scanning visor, x-ray visor and even a visor for calling your spaceship. I really could not compare them to any other game as there is no other like them. They play exactly like you would expect the 2D Metroid games to play in a first person perspective.
The graphics of the first 2 games are slightly dated however they are certainly still a visual treat for the eyes. They still hold up very well and made the best use of the technology that was available to them at the time. They look better than most third party games on the Wii. The third game has the best graphics on the Wii with the art direction being the best I have ever witnessed on any console, and I own them all. If they were HD graphics they would be the best videogame graphics ever. The art direction on all 3 creates such a fantastic atmosphere. Just wait till you get to the later areas of the games, especially the second and third game and see just how impressive the artwork is. There is some raw artistic talent working for Retro Studios.
Any core gamer knows that graphics are not the most important part of a game and that gameplay and level design are what makes a game a great game. I must say that the level design for all 3 games is immaculate. It just got better with each subsequent game. The back tracking is less prominent in the third game as the game is made up of separate planets. I missed the backtracking however the puzzles in the third game are definately better. You will need very acute senses to find all of the secrets stashed within each game.
My personal opinion is that the second game has the best level design. The later levels especially are incredibly intricate and detailed with labyrinthine sections for your morthball. The boss fights in the second game are numerous and in all three games they are puzzles within themselves. The battles with them can be quite cerebral, a gargantuan challenge and can take upwards of one hour to better them. Many of them have several unique forms and you will find them to be a real test for your reflexes and gaming skill.
One criticism that has been made is the need to scan using one of the visors to find out the plotline of the game. I personally enjoyed the story being laid out like this as it added to the isolated atmosphere.
Do yourself a favour and purchase this game.
10/10
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2009 8:59 PM GMT

Little Kings Story (Wii)
Little Kings Story (Wii)
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Beast of a Game!, 13 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly this is a huge game. I have been rigorously playing this game for over 40 hours and I am at (what I think is) the last king now with some collection books and treasure lists to complete (I am sure it is not the very end and it will have more tricks up its sleeve). It is a challenging game and you wont get far unless you strategise your troops before each battle. Don't be deceived by the cutesy graphics of the game this game is an immense challenge and I can't see kids completing it.

After a couple of missions you will get a suggestion box. Your villagers put some funny little letters in here about their opinions on various things and you will also receive side missions this way. There are loads of these and by doing them you will find various secrets, treasures and art work.

I usually have no interest in collecting unlockable artwork in a game however in this gem they ran a competition to create an enemy and have it included in the game. The 100 pieces of artwork hidden in the game are the drawings they received for this competition.

This game is a labour of love for gamers. It has been in development for years and it shows. Everything about it just oozes quality and attention. It is a game made for Nintendo fans, you know the ones who love games for their creativity, uniqueness and level design and not for violence and gore so gamers can call themselves hardcore. This game is made for the core gamer. It does not try to be realistic and never forgets it is a videogame.

A lot of people are going to compare this to Pikmin however I think this game is better. All your villagers have a name. You may think this will not have an impact but you are absolutely distraught when one of those little people with personalities gets killed. Usually they wash up on shore but sometimes they do die and you see some of the other villagers mourning the deceased.

If you are a gaming veteran and you see the art in video games to be the creativity and uniqueness of the medium then this is for you. If you are an immature gamer who only likes shooters, violence, gore and shallow game play then stay away as the game is probably to complex for you.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2011 10:10 PM GMT

Fable II (Xbox 360)
Fable II (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Blurring, 11 Nov 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I think this game has the potential to be a sublime experience however when i play at at 1080p via hdmi it blurs so badly that I cant actuall play the game. it gives me very bad eye strain and I actually had tears coming down my eyes at one point. I so hope they can fix this as right now it is virtually unplayable.

I have since found out that it is a motion blur effect that a lot of developers put in their games that looks awful on LCD TV's. Some games give you the option to turn this off. I hope they release an update for it soon.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 19.07

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Zelda Ever????, 6 Mar 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of playing this game. The gameplay in the Zelda games are 2nd to none. If the puzzles in this game and the combat were both made harder this would have been regarded as the greatest game ever and would certainly have received a 5 star review from me. I have been playing Zelda games for years now and only once or twice in this whole game was I stumped. The bosses and the combat were both incredibly easy. What the fans really need is another hardcore Zelda game such as Majora's Mask. Nintendo always seem to be in the habit of making their games for beginners (apart from the sublime Metroid Prime series) and I am hoping that for the next installment they bump the challenge right up.

I was disappointed that such a fabulous soundtrack was not fully orchestrated. The game is certainly epic and this would have just added to the atmosphere even more.

My next criticism is that most of the heart pieces could be found in the dungeons. In the previous 3D Zeldas you would solve puzzles outside of the dungeons to locate them, making Hyrule field much more fun to explore

Also Nintendo why did you not obtain an item to change night into day? It is an absolute chore to obtain all the poes in the game as they only come out at night. You have to wait around in each area for it to do so.

Over with the criticisms and onto the praises. The game is absolutely enormous and an absolute joy to play. The level design is outstanding. Microsoft are trumping on about games being art when the only art they can put into games are better graphics with on a lot of occasions worse gameplay. The art in video games is the levels and how they are designed and the imagination that goes into them. If anyone shares my point of view then they will find this is one of the most artistic video games created. The motion controls add to the experience and I much prefer playing it this way. I would love to see what Nintendo do with the controls when the make a Zelda game ground up for the Wii. The visuals are very pretty however not up to the standard of what they have done with Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3. Next time I am sure they will give the Zelda visuals the same attention. The new items are brilliant and the puzzles, although easy are absolutely genius on occasion. It is an absolute must buy for any Wii owner and the next installment can't come any quicker.

Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaro's Treasure (Wii)
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaro's Treasure (Wii)
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 20.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game on Wii, 6 Mar 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Zack and Wiki has some of the best puzzles in gaming period. Every puzzle is logical and I really wish they would start putting challenging puzzles like this in video games again. There is not very many cerebral core games on the market anymore. The use of the Wii remote is 2nd to none. Capcom are without a doubt the best games developer bar Nintendo perhaps although they have faltered a bit this generation. Apart from possibly Metroid Prime this is the best game on the Wii. The graphics and gameplay are both superb. It deserves to sell a lot more than it has.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!, 28 Nov 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I personally think that the Metroid games were the best of the last generation and Metroid Prime 3 sits up there as being one of the best video games ever created. Once again the Art direction is second to none. This is some of the best visuals in gaming and the fact the have done it with the Wii hardware makes it all the more impressive. I would love to have seen this running in high definition. Retro Studios have put nearly every other company to shame again with their level designs. The control scheme is also sublime. The game is also very challenging if you turn the hints off. The puzzles are a bit more cerebral this time round. The only things I would like to complain about is the fact that there was not enough huge bosses and I also quite liked the back-tracking of the previous two games, which has now been made practically obsolete because of the shortcuts and the the fact that it the game is split into planets.

Page: 1 | 2