Profile for Griffin > Reviews

ghd V Metallic Rich Ruby Styler Gift Set
ghd V Metallic Rich Ruby Styler Gift Set
Offered by UK ONLINE

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 29 Jun 2013
I have owned a pair of ghds (IV styler) previously and this limited edition product does not meet the high standard I have come to expect from ghd. The plates do not align properly, meaning the straightener does not grip the hair well. I use to be able to produce tight curls easily with the IV styler but I just can't seem to do that with these. It also takes an age to straighten my long, thick, wavy hair with this product. The general construction of the product is cheap, flimsy and very light. There are far superior straighteners out there by other brands for a third of the price and a longer guarantee, so shop around. ghd is not worth the money anymore. Thank goodness for Amazon's return policy which scores 5/5.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2013 4:47 PM BST

EZCAP.TV 116 EzCAPTURE USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter. Capture & convert video from VHS, Hi8, All Camcorders, DVD player, Satellite TV, etc. Capture xbox360/Wii/Playstation 3 in full colour. Upload videos direct to YouTube, convert for mobile device or make a dvd. Stream live with Skype, MSN, etc. Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 32/64 bit, Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later
Offered by EzCAP-TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 17 Aug 2012
I am moderately computer savvy and found this product took a long time to set up and use. The instructions provided were vague, the user forum did not help and nor did the non-existant Ezcap Customer Service.

I have Windows 7 (64 bit) and on installing the device, received an error message saying the device had not installed correctly. The error was against the 'USB EMP Audio Device' driver, which would not install, even though the driver was up to date.

Eventually a search on the internet revealed that this is a common problem encountered by Ezcap users and the solution is not intuitive. For anyone experiencing the same problem, I suggest you try the following fix: go into device manager >> sound, video and game controllers. Right click on USB EMP Audio Driver. Click on update driver software >> browse my computer for driver software >> let me pick from a list of device drivers. Click next for it to search. When it comes up with a list, choose USB Audio Device, then reboot your computer.

This fix resolved my problem and I have been able to record my home movies directly from my camcorder. However, I still cannot record anything from my VHS machine (I do not seem to get any signal!).

The Arcsoft software provided with the Ezcap does not seem to be the most user friendly, or give you enough options; therefore, I downloaded something else from the internet.

Overall, I paid extra for this product on Amazon (over similar converters) expecting to get a trouble free installation which does what it says on the tin and provides the software you need to record your home videos - 'a one-stop shop'. I now wish I had gone for one of the cheaper products instead. At least then I could justify the amount of time I wasted trying to get it to work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2012 10:01 AM BST

JVC Gumy Headphone for iPod / iPhone / Mp3 - Peach Pink
JVC Gumy Headphone for iPod / iPhone / Mp3 - Peach Pink
Offered by VC Retail

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 27 Jan 2012
The earphones were fine until I started to hear a crackle over the music. This is despite the fact that I have only had them a couple of months and do not use them on a high volume. I wish I had not wasted the money and had paid a little bit extra for a quality product.

Rottner Atlantis 2 Safe Digital Safe Electronic Safe Security Safe 43 Litre - Large Home Safe Great Value - Safes for vaults
Offered by The Little Home and Garden Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Not strictly as advertised., 2 Nov 2011
The safe is as advertised in all aspects, except the weight, which is currently advertised as 25kg. It is in fact, 18kg. That doesn't matter to me as I am planning to screw it to a wall, but it is a little misleading. Otherwise it appears to be a good, solid safe, large enough to accomodate all my valued belongings.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 1:03 PM GMT

Wenger WA-7723-02F00 15.4 Inch Rhea Ladies Triple Shoulder Bag
Wenger WA-7723-02F00 15.4 Inch Rhea Ladies Triple Shoulder Bag

2.0 out of 5 stars Great looking bag, shame about the quality....., 25 Aug 2011
I bought this bag less than nine months ago and have had many compliments about it from everyone. It's a good looking bag, compared to what else is out there in the market for women's laptop bags. But the leather beading to the edge of the handles has started to fray after just a few months use (at the point on the handles where I hold the bag). Wenger offer a lifetime warranty; however, posting it aboard to be fixed was more expensive than getting it done locally. Therefore I have had to get a sleave put onto the handles which is not ideal, especially as I bought the bag thinking that it would be good quality. It could be a one-off case, but be warned as it may not last as long as you want it to.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2013 1:11 PM GMT

Rio Total Body Waxing Hair Removal Kit
Rio Total Body Waxing Hair Removal Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 16 May 2010
I went for this product after researching a lot of other websites for a wax heater. I finally took the plunge on this one, because not only do you get a heater for this price, you also get a large supply of soft and hard wax - which will keep me going through most of the year! The heater itself is great and you can easily get the right temperature for the wax by switching between the 2 settings regularly. The only drawback I can see of the product is that it does take a good 15 minutes to heat up - but given the savings I'm making in salon wax treatments, it's a small price to pay.

Acer Aspire 5715Z Notebook Laptop, Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 1.6GHz, 15.4" TFT, 2GB RAM, 80GB Hard-drive, DVD±RW, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, WiFi, Vista Home Premium

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy overall, 25 Aug 2008
This laptop has the absolute basics required to run adequately. Some of it's bad points are: 1) the touchpad mouse sometimes has a mind of its own and 2) the build quality isn't great, making the laptop look less sophisticated, 3) the laptop does not come with 80 GB of FREE memory, it's actually less than that as ACER programs are taking up about 10-20 GB.

However, the pros far outweigh the cons. It has the 2 GB of RAM required for Vista to run comfortably, and the available memory is more than enough (unless you are a serious downloader). To gain a little more memory and speed, just uninstall the useless software on the laptop. For the price, this laptop is a bargain, especially for students and the average homeuser.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 7000 Rechargeable Power Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Professional Care 7000 Rechargeable Power Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleaner, but not whiter, teeth..., 29 Jun 2008
There has been a definate improvement in the cleanliness of my teeth and this toothbrush has visibly reduced the amount of plaque stuck in the gaps.

However, there are a couple of drawbacks: if like me, you never really ate teeth staining food (like coffee, red wine) or smoked, then you will not see a dramatic improvement in the colour of your teeth. Perhaps over time, my teeth might become whiter, but over the last 6 months of regular use, I have yet to see a marked difference in the colour of my teeth. Secondly, the toothbrush really struggles to keep its battery life and I am having to charge my toothbrush once a week instead of the recommended once a fortnight.

Overall this is an adequate toothbrush and I suspect, one of the cheapest on the market currently: it does what it says on the tin, however don't expect miracles unless your teeth are very stained in the first instance.

Eldest
Eldest
by Christopher Paolini

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short against its predecessor Eragon., 27 Jun 2008
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
As many of the reviews here have already described the plot of Eldest, I'll leave this detail out and skip straight to my opinion of it.

Whereas Eragon was a badly written story with a good plot, Eldest is the exact opposite. Paolini has matured since his first book and the darker, well written passages of Eldest reflect this. However, I found Eragon's story to be second rate to Roran's adventures, which was the only incentive for me to continue reading the book. Generally, the whole pace of Eldest is slower than that of the first book and predictable in parts. The last third of the book picks up with some significant findings and events; however, the editors would have done well to trim the whole book down slightly instead of sending me to sleep with long, uneventful chapters. Overall I gave the book three stars as it showed some promise towards the end and left me mildly curious about the last book in the trilogy.

Om Shanti Om [2007] [DVD] [NTSC]
Om Shanti Om [2007] [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Shah Rukh Khan
Offered by Bollywood Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Just falls short of being a classic, 5 April 2008
The plot summary is as follows: Om (Shah Rukh Khan) is a lowly actor in the 70s trying to make it in Bollywood. Throughout his journey in the film industry, he has idolized and fallen in love with Shanti (Deepika Padukone), a big time actress. Eventually, the two meet and strike up a friendship; however, a tragic series of events sees Om being killed and then reincarnated in modern day Bollywood, where there remains some unfinished business to resolve from his previous life.

The director, Farah Khan, manages to successfully pay tribute and mock the film industry and its actors and cliched scripts. For Shah Rukh, this has been a perfect film for his brand of (over)acting and Padukone could not have wished for a better launch into the industry's A list: she is definitely going to be one to watch in the future! For the Bollywood fanatics, many actors from today and yesteryear make guest appearances throughout the film: and at one point, no less that 31 guest appearances in one song! Some of the songs are great and extreamly catchy, whereas others are more average. All in all, Om Shanti Om is a fantastic film to watch because it is so different; while some of the special affects are not perfect, the 70s theme throughout the film is a great reminder of a by-gone era in Indian cinema.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3