Profile for bettybeulah > Reviews

The Headspace Diet: 10 days to finding your ideal weight
The Headspace Diet: 10 days to finding your ideal weight
by Andy Puddicombe

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my approach to 'dieting' for good!, 30 July 2012
If you're looking for a book that has step by step breakdowns of the calorific content of food, or a detailed plan of what you can eat and when, then look elsewhere. I've pretty much tried all of those kind of books already, and the fact I'm still looking for a 'plan' that actually works proves the need for something different on the market.

And I genuinely think this could be it! I'm realising that the reason other 'diets' haven't worked for me is that I have been following someone else's rules about what I should or should not eat rather than really addressing my own relationship with food and the impact it has on my life. This book has really made me aware of the 'scripts' I've been following when it comes to food- when I'm stressed i 'deserve' a chocolate, when I'm out with friends and they want dessert 'so do I', a glass of wine 'will help me relax' (etc). This book has helped me readdress some of the reasons I turn to food and is helping me to be much more aware of my motivations. I'm finding it easier to listen to my own body and needs rather than just eating unconsciously or be swayed by what other diet books or people tell me. I'm not feeling deprived in any way- instead, when i do have a chocolate or glass of wine I really fully appreciate it and are therefore more satisfied by it, rather than before when it seemed only the whole packet or bottle would do! I've already lost weight just by being more self-aware of what I am eating and why and when- and it's down to reading this book.

If you're looking to understand your relationship with food and learn techniques that enable you to become clearer, happier and probably lighter (!)in all aspects of your life then you should get this book.

Get Some Headspace
Get Some Headspace
by Andy Puddicombe

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for everyone and anyone, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Get Some Headspace (Paperback)
This is by far the most comprehensive book on the benefits of meditation and mindfulness that I have read so far. It is so refreshing to have a 'self-help' book that doesn't require some spiritual belief in angels or rely on hi-five language to get its point across. Instead, the book is practical, accessible, logical and easy to follow. I'd already got their app so wasn't sure about how useful the book would be or if I'd need it- but actually it's just a really great accompaniment. What I loved is that it offers an understanding of the benefits of meditation- rather than preaching about them- and as a result it is so much more persuasive. Genuinely can't recommend enough! Meditation has honestly changed my life in every way- and all for the better- and although everyone's 'journey' is individual to them, I have found this book to be an invaluable tool along the way.