Profile for Mrs. Odette J. Hudson > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Odette J....

Mrs. Odette J. Hudson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Painted Veil (thINKing Classics)
The Painted Veil (thINKing Classics)
by W. Somerset Maugham

5.0 out of 5 stars The painted veil 2006, 24 Aug 2014
Absolutely excellent. So much to learn about what went on during that period, either in England or in the colonies or the Far East of that time. Brilliantly acted too. Progress of medicine since then. Beautiful sceneries. Attitude of the local people towards the foreigners. Just great!

The Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
The Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emun Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series. It gives an idea of how department ..., 24 Aug 2014
Great series. It gives an idea of how department stores started, how people lived and reacted, how these stores slowly became popular among the higher classes after hesitations 'I don't want to see the butcher's wife wear the same dress as me'. A relaxing love story in the middle. Pettiness or errors on different parts. A very remote idea of the future decline of small shops. Remember, it was set in the Victorian era. Overall, a pleasant and informative storyline about an important period of commercial expansion and the development of fashion often influenced by France.

The Painted Veil [DVD]
The Painted Veil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars A total discovery of Somerset Maugham through a film that ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Painted Veil [DVD] (DVD)
A total discovery of Somerset Maugham through a film that I had never seen before. Life in this part of China, epidemic of cholera and devotion of people who look after the sick people with very few means, misunderstanding in a couple where the husband is too busy to give his wife the attention she needs in a remote country with nothing to do and nothing in common with the local population.

Love Is My Profession ( En cas de malheur ) [DVD]
Love Is My Profession ( En cas de malheur ) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Gabin

3.0 out of 5 stars a wife was better off living with a frivolous husband than finding herself ..., 17 July 2014
Half of me still likes this very old film. And half of me has enough with adultery especially when it seems accepted by the wife who may not want to be left by her husband. In old times, a wife was better off living with a frivolous husband than finding herself left with no roof, nothing - which, despite progress, is still often valid nowadays. Brigitte Bardot is very naïve and inconstant - some people (men and women) can't help lying. They want to live their lives to the full and forget the consequences. Though she can get on one's nerves, the untameable BB remains touching in her search for being loved and protected whilst wanting to remain free. She acts beautifully and so does Jean Gabin who thinks that money can gain BB as his object, his thing. A work of cinematographic art.

The Painted Veil (1934)
The Painted Veil (1934)
Dvd ~ Forrester Harvey
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars The painted veil, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Painted Veil (1934) (DVD)
Sorry. When I ordered it, it seemed to me that it said 'language: Spanish / subtitles: English'. The only subtitles seem to be Castillan. My Spanish / Castillan is not good enough to follow a film which, I think, is very good. So, check very carefully when you buy it. Since I received it, I checked on the site again. Same. But I cannot send it back because I have opened it.

SIVAN Micro Callus Remover Pro Version - Four Grades of Pumice to use on any foot type/size

5.0 out of 5 stars Sivan Micro Callus remover pro version, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this item as a present for someone. It is his opinion I am giving here. Wonderful! Marvellous! He is delighted with his new gadget!

De l'Autre Cote du Lit - DVD
De l'Autre Cote du Lit - DVD
Offered by CULTURE EMPIRE

3.0 out of 5 stars De l'autre côté du lit, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: De l'Autre Cote du Lit - DVD (DVD)
If there were a mark between 'it's okay' and 'I like it', I would choose it. A half mark. I think that this film is above 'okay' but I cannot say that I enjoyed it to the point of buying it for a friend as a present. The concept is very good. It is so true that, in order to explain and justify their lateness and lack of interest in the family life - due to extra work which also involves going out and socialising (let's not forget it) - loving husbands turn abruptly to their tired and weeping wives by attacking them with the 'You had all day to do it / What did you do all day? / I wish I could sit and relax at home / I wish I could see the children more often', etc. Some bits are good but there are far too many excesses on both sides. It was made into a romantic comedy but, for one, I do not think that adultery is that romantic. It was not necessary here.

Les Sous-doués passent le bac + Les sous-doués en vacances
Les Sous-doués passent le bac + Les sous-doués en vacances
Offered by CULTURE EMPIRE

3.0 out of 5 stars Les sous-doués passent le bac / en vacances', 8 Jun 2014
I saw 'Les sous-doués passent le bac' a number of years ago and I really enjoyed it then. I found it very funny. Later on in life, it is just ok. I want to show it to my students and I think they will like it but I am not 100% sure because things have changed a lot in recent years, esp. connected with schoolchildren (16+).
As for 'Les sous-doués en vacances', I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. I wonder in what state if mind I was when I saw it because, dare I say it? I cannot remember a thing about it! I only remember that it was not very funny at all but, even when reading the summary, nothing comes back to my memory. Maybe, I have lost my sense of humour?

Captain Phillips [DVD] [2013]
Captain Phillips [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Phillips, 10 May 2014
Very good film. A part of modern history that I did not dare to believe it still existed. Frightening but revealing. I hope that technology, with all its disadvantages will also continue to manage to counteract the horrors which happen all the time in our world. This said, I found that, to an extent - very tiny - a part of the film is quite touching in the way the local population is taken advantage of and made to believe that they will get out of poverty and be able to go and live in the country of their dreams ie America.

Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey Christmas 2013, 10 May 2014
Still brilliant - to my taste. Looking forward to the new series. I can't decide which characters are the best. They are all good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4