Profile for S. J. Manser > Reviews

Content by S. J. Manser

S. J. Manser (Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
August DVB400- HD Freeview Set Top PVR Box - DVB-T/T2 Receiver with Multi Media Player,HDMI Out and Digital Coaxial Audio Out - USB PVR Style TV Recorder
Offered by Daffodil UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by a few design issues, 5 Aug. 2013
It could be a great product were it for a few minor adjustments.

Firstly, the remote control is a terrible tool. Since this is the device that you are going to interact with for most of the time, I would have thought a decent remote would be of paramount importance.

Secondly, when pausing live TV, a bar pops up along the foot of the screen. Since pausing was the main reason I bought this box, I find that incredibly annoying and not even slightly helpful.

Thirdly, every channel is very slightly out of sync. The HD channels were out by at least a second, but the firmware update sorted that. However, other channels are still out by a way and that makes watching TV frustrating.

Fourthly, the colours are slightly too rich which means adjusting your TV's colour balance to correct it.

Finally, the EPG on HD channels does not show any information. You have to go to the corresponding SD channel to see what is on and coming up next. This is bizarre as I can't see how the product made it out of quality control like this.

Apart from the above points, it seems to be a good very good value for money, but only if you can put up with these gripes. For me, I have decided to return it and pay more than treble for a Philips Freeview HD Recorder with a decent remote.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 12:27 PM BST

Oki MB451dn A4 Multifunction Mono Laser Printer (Scan/Copy/Fax)
Oki MB451dn A4 Multifunction Mono Laser Printer (Scan/Copy/Fax)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for old Konica 1390MF, 26 April 2013
Bought this for a client who needed to replace several old Konica Minolta 1390MF printers which have been good work horses for 6 or 7 years. Similar design and spec as the Konica but it is a lot faster, about twice as fast at both scanning and printing, but bigger in size.

Seems to start quickly, Panel not overloaded with buttons and not too noisy. The scan to PC function requires several more buttons to be pushed from the panel, but if you use Remote PC mode you can control scanning from the "ActKey" application on the PC, so it's one click again.

Toner is approx £60 for 2500 pages with original cartridges, but I'm sure compatibles will be available as this printer becomes more popular.

Alcatel OT-980 on T-mobile Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit
Alcatel OT-980 on T-mobile Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit

5.0 out of 5 stars On a budget? This Android phone is good value, 15 Aug. 2011
Being totally anti-Apple, this phone ticks a lot of boxes for me, supplied with the awesome Android operating system and costing just £50 from Carphone Warehouse (therefore unlocked). This is incredible value since you also get 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, access to thousands of Android apps, MicroSD slot and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

The touchscreen is the cheaper "capacitive" type rather than "resistive", so it takes a couple of hours practice if you're used to an iPhone or Tocco etc, but the main advantage is the proper QWERTY for texting, browsing and searching.

On the downside the camera is only 2MP and battery life is around 1 day which means charging every night. On the upside the internet speed (T-Mobile) is fast, far quicker than my friend's HTC Desire (on Orange) and my other friend's iPhone (on O2)! That sounds like I've only got 2 friends, and they find it irritating that I can lookup internet stuff quicker than their £400 phones, so maybe I'll have no friends soon.

PLAY BETTER TENNIS IN TWO HOURS: Simplify the Game and Play Like the Pros
PLAY BETTER TENNIS IN TWO HOURS: Simplify the Game and Play Like the Pros
by Oscar Wegner

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 22 Mar. 2011
I was initially disappointed as it looked like a novice's guide to tennis with instructions on the point scoring system, where to stand and serve, how high the net should be, etc, but after revisiting it and looking in more detail it does have some useful tips and insights. For example, Wegner at least knows about the windshield wiper forehand and the hook forehand (using the biceps and pecs as opposed to triceps and back muscles as demonstrated by Nadal and Gasquet for almost every shot) which only advanced tennis players know about.

He also talks about "the wrap finish" which is discouraged by other coaches, and he says it's ok to copy the pros. If you love tennis you will like reading this stuff but the book suffers from a identity crisis - I could condense the useful stuff into 10 pages, but those 10 pages could help your game.

LG GW520 Etna 3g Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver
LG GW520 Etna 3g Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars The only phone with 3G and QWERTY keyboard at this price, 10 Oct. 2010
I'm not a massive fan of Apple devices or their software, so was looking for a touchscreen phone with 3G that also had a qwerty keyboard so I could do internet and email quickly on the move. I was looking to replace my excellent old Sony Ericsson P910i (the iPhone of it's day) which had served me well over the years. The LG's screen is higher res, the camera way better with 3 megapixels, I prefer the slide out keyboard to the flip of the old Sony, the interface is slicker and the LG is Java compatible, not Symbian, so I should be able to find some good apps for it, like SatNav and Solitaire etc.

One really cool thing I noticed is that when you connect the phone up to your PC via USB, a new CD drive appears in My Computer and it contains the LG modem drivers! This means you can use your phone as a mobile broadband dongle with any laptop.

The only annoyance I've noticed is I can't navigate web pages using the keyboard like I did on the Sony, it's all touchscreen clicking and paging. Small links are quite tricky to click with my fat fingers. Apart from that I am very happy with the phone and would definitely recommend it.

UPDATE:

The lack of keyboard functionality in web pages is starting to frustrate me, since I can't easily navigate through. I have to click the links 3 or 4 times and then it seems to click the wrong thing and then have to go back and start again. Also the zoom doesn't really work for me and the top and bottom information bars seem to appear when I don't want them to, and then are impossible to bring up when I do. Since I got this phone for the 3G web experience, I am having serious doubts if I can live with it!

Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready
Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice player, nasty remote, 10 Oct. 2010
I suppose once you've had a PS3 any other remote control device is going to be bad, but this one is just crazy bad. If you are watching telly in the dark there is no "feel" to it, all the buttons are the same and there is no cicular dial in the middle for navigation, and the pause button is hidden away so you'll need lights on, the same for all the other functions.

The on-screen menu is pretty awful compared to Sony's Xross Media Bar - couldn't Samsung follow the Blu Ray inventor's lead and come up with something good?

The fast forward is SLOW for streamed movies, seems to jump in blocks of 3 minutes, so it takes a good minute to go halfway through a film. My PS3 would do that in 2 seconds. My PS3 unfortunately blew up a few weeks ago, so this was a replacement but I am not happy, it's like stepping out of a Bentley and into a Skoda. Other than that, it's OK.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 11:43 AM GMT

Western Digital My Passport Elite 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard - Charcoal
Western Digital My Passport Elite 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard - Charcoal

1.0 out of 5 stars The dock is no good, 7 April 2010
They say:

"Grab-and-go USB dock - Convenient USB dock makes it easy to connect your drive to your computer."

Unfortunately the dock mechanism is very badly designed. The drive doesn't go in straight but at a slight angle, which you have to guess at otherwise you scratch the plastic casing, so now it looks terrible. Also the connector is proprietary so don't lose the cable! Overall very dissapointed with it, especially as the main reason I bought it was for easy docking facility. Definitely a case of not doing what it says on the tin. Can nobody in the computer industry design a decent connector? We've had PS2, USB, VGA, Parallel, Serial, SCSI, SATA, IDE, RJ45, HDMI and still nobody has come up with a decent design.

Magimix 11407 L'Espresso and Filter Coffee Maker
Magimix 11407 L'Espresso and Filter Coffee Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, much better than the Cuisinart EM200U, 14 Jan. 2010
I originally bought the Cuisinart EM200U but the water just wasn't hot enough, so we returned that and bought this one. I was attracted to this one by the temprature knob, allowing you to increase or decrease the temp by one level either way. I have to say though that it is a better machine all round, quicker and easier with better results.

Additionally, it has a filter coffee maker, good steamer, water level indicator and Brita filter. I use proper French coffee called "Jacques Vabre", which I purchase in France on an annual Booze Cruise. Try it. I have also tried Lavazza (red packet) which is also pretty good.

I use the double espresso filter with 1 and a half scoops of coffee to make something approaching a proper "grande cafe au lait" found in France, manually controlling the amount of water. I once had a coffee in Aire Du Bolleville services, near Le Havre which I have been trying to recreate here ever since, as I find all coffee houses in England seriously wanting, especially Starbucks. Oh, sod it, I'm moving to France!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars My dog likes them, 17 July 2009
Pretty good balls, but not as good as Slazenger UltraVis for matches, and not as long lasting as Dunlop Pro Tour for practice.

I also bought these for my dog, he likes them very much. He does sometimes have trouble gripping the tennis racquet in his mouth though.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars MESH build decent PCs, 15 Jun. 2009
I have bought a number of PCs form Mesh over the years and I have found the finished product to be of a high standard. I also build my own PCs from scratch but Mesh combine great components and thoroughly test them to make sure they work - I have even used their published specs as a template for building my own gaming PCs! I have never had a problem with reliability so can't comment on their after-sales team.

Page: 1 | 2