Profile for S. J. Manser > Reviews

Content by S. J. Manser

S. J. Manser (Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony DR-BTN200M Bluetooth Wireless Headset with NFC Connectivity - White
Sony DR-BTN200M Bluetooth Wireless Headset with NFC Connectivity - White
Offered by Hale Communications

5.0 out of 5 stars The best if you want quality and battery life., 26 April 2016
The best if you want quality and battery life. These are perfect if you have a smartphone and want wire free quality listening, one charge lasts for ages, more than any other wireless heaphones. It's compatible with iPhone and Android - pairing is done on the headphones by holding a button for 7 seconds. They are light and well made.

Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)
Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)
Offered by Unique daily deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud and clear, with great bass, 26 April 2016
Use these all the time on my computer for music/youtube etc. They can become a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours but other than that great headphones. If you use them wirelessly you get the volume, bass (masses of bass!) and other controls, but you can also use them via a standard audio jack cable but you don't get any of the controls. You can use them wirelessly with any USB compatible device. If you have and old music system you can even connect the USB dongle via the audio jack/cable to get wireless. Recharging is done via a mini USB cable.

Mantis Pro 295 Tennis Racket, Grip Size- Grip 3: 4 3/8 inch
Mantis Pro 295 Tennis Racket, Grip Size- Grip 3: 4 3/8 inch
Offered by Sweatband

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it more than my Babolat, 26 April 2016
The only British tennis racquet manufacturer, started by Martin Aldridge ex of Dunlop. It feels like a Wilson and coming from a Babolat felt a bit weird at first but after a couple of weeks I feel I am getting back more balls on the backhand side, single handed, than I did before. I immediately had it re-strung with Tecnifibre XR1 which is a good standard string for rec players. It makes quite a nice "schlop" sound when you hit the ball just right, encouraging you to find the sweet spot. I like it.

Forever KG120105 Moka Prestige 9 Cup Espresso Pot
Forever KG120105 Moka Prestige 9 Cup Espresso Pot

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a great hob coffee maker like the one I had in Spain., 26 April 2016
Much, much better than the last one I had. Does properly 2 x mugs of coffee and is of sturdy aluminium. Screws together easily to make a seal, no leaks. I have been using this for a week or two and really like the coffee it produces. I have a Gaggia I can now get rid of! It takes around 7 mins on my gas hob but I have just discovered I can part boil some water before hand in the kettle, and then transfer to the coffee maker (mind your fingers!), then it only takes a minute. I use a French coffee, thanks to regular trips to Calais, called Jaques Vabre but have also tried Lavazza - both great.

Garden Mile® 300ml STAINLESS STEEL SMALL KITCHEN ESPRESSO COFFEE MAKER STOVE TOP 6 CUPS CAFETIER LATTE NEW ITALIAN WAY
Offered by 365-home-zone

2.0 out of 5 stars No good., 19 April 2016
As other reviewers have said, the two halves don't form a seal so it leaks under pressure. Also leaves some water in the bottom unit which my previous coffee maker didn't, but the coffee definitely tastes burnt as well. I will probably send back and try some other make. I think they have to be made of aluminium in order not to leak as the aluminium ones are quite thick-walled, this is quite flimsy although it looks nice.

August DVB400 - HD Freeview Set Top Box - 1080p DVB-T Receiver and Multi Media Player with HDMI Out and Digital Coaxial Audio Out - USB PVR Style TV Recording
Offered by Daffodil UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by a few design issues, 5 Aug. 2013
It could be a great product were it for a few minor adjustments.

Firstly, the remote control is a terrible tool. Since this is the device that you are going to interact with for most of the time, I would have thought a decent remote would be of paramount importance.

Secondly, when pausing live TV, a bar pops up along the foot of the screen. Since pausing was the main reason I bought this box, I find that incredibly annoying and not even slightly helpful.

Thirdly, every channel is very slightly out of sync. The HD channels were out by at least a second, but the firmware update sorted that. However, other channels are still out by a way and that makes watching TV frustrating.

Fourthly, the colours are slightly too rich which means adjusting your TV's colour balance to correct it.

Finally, the EPG on HD channels does not show any information. You have to go to the corresponding SD channel to see what is on and coming up next. This is bizarre as I can't see how the product made it out of quality control like this.

Apart from the above points, it seems to be a good very good value for money, but only if you can put up with these gripes. For me, I have decided to return it and pay more than treble for a Philips Freeview HD Recorder with a decent remote.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 12:27 PM BST

Oki MB451dn A4 Multifunction Mono Laser Printer (Scan/Copy/Fax)
Oki MB451dn A4 Multifunction Mono Laser Printer (Scan/Copy/Fax)
Offered by Computer Shop Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for old Konica 1390MF, 26 April 2013
Bought this for a client who needed to replace several old Konica Minolta 1390MF printers which have been good work horses for 6 or 7 years. Similar design and spec as the Konica but it is a lot faster, about twice as fast at both scanning and printing, but bigger in size.

Seems to start quickly, Panel not overloaded with buttons and not too noisy. The scan to PC function requires several more buttons to be pushed from the panel, but if you use Remote PC mode you can control scanning from the "ActKey" application on the PC, so it's one click again.

Toner is approx £60 for 2500 pages with original cartridges, but I'm sure compatibles will be available as this printer becomes more popular.

Alcatel OT-980 on T-mobile Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit
Alcatel OT-980 on T-mobile Pay As You Go with £10 airtime credit

5.0 out of 5 stars On a budget? This Android phone is good value, 15 Aug. 2011
Being totally anti-Apple, this phone ticks a lot of boxes for me, supplied with the awesome Android operating system and costing just £50 from Carphone Warehouse (therefore unlocked). This is incredible value since you also get 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, access to thousands of Android apps, MicroSD slot and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

The touchscreen is the cheaper "capacitive" type rather than "resistive", so it takes a couple of hours practice if you're used to an iPhone or Tocco etc, but the main advantage is the proper QWERTY for texting, browsing and searching.

On the downside the camera is only 2MP and battery life is around 1 day which means charging every night. On the upside the internet speed (T-Mobile) is fast, far quicker than my friend's HTC Desire (on Orange) and my other friend's iPhone (on O2)! That sounds like I've only got 2 friends, and they find it irritating that I can lookup internet stuff quicker than their £400 phones, so maybe I'll have no friends soon.

PLAY BETTER TENNIS IN TWO HOURS: Simplify the Game and Play Like the Pros
PLAY BETTER TENNIS IN TWO HOURS: Simplify the Game and Play Like the Pros
by Oscar Wegner

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 22 Mar. 2011
I was initially disappointed as it looked like a novice's guide to tennis with instructions on the point scoring system, where to stand and serve, how high the net should be, etc, but after revisiting it and looking in more detail it does have some useful tips and insights. For example, Wegner at least knows about the windshield wiper forehand and the hook forehand (using the biceps and pecs as opposed to triceps and back muscles as demonstrated by Nadal and Gasquet for almost every shot) which only advanced tennis players know about.

He also talks about "the wrap finish" which is discouraged by other coaches, and he says it's ok to copy the pros. If you love tennis you will like reading this stuff but the book suffers from a identity crisis - I could condense the useful stuff into 10 pages, but those 10 pages could help your game.

LG GW520 Etna 3g Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver
LG GW520 Etna 3g Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars The only phone with 3G and QWERTY keyboard at this price, 10 Oct. 2010
I'm not a massive fan of Apple devices or their software, so was looking for a touchscreen phone with 3G that also had a qwerty keyboard so I could do internet and email quickly on the move. I was looking to replace my excellent old Sony Ericsson P910i (the iPhone of it's day) which had served me well over the years. The LG's screen is higher res, the camera way better with 3 megapixels, I prefer the slide out keyboard to the flip of the old Sony, the interface is slicker and the LG is Java compatible, not Symbian, so I should be able to find some good apps for it, like SatNav and Solitaire etc.

One really cool thing I noticed is that when you connect the phone up to your PC via USB, a new CD drive appears in My Computer and it contains the LG modem drivers! This means you can use your phone as a mobile broadband dongle with any laptop.

The only annoyance I've noticed is I can't navigate web pages using the keyboard like I did on the Sony, it's all touchscreen clicking and paging. Small links are quite tricky to click with my fat fingers. Apart from that I am very happy with the phone and would definitely recommend it.

UPDATE:

The lack of keyboard functionality in web pages is starting to frustrate me, since I can't easily navigate through. I have to click the links 3 or 4 times and then it seems to click the wrong thing and then have to go back and start again. Also the zoom doesn't really work for me and the top and bottom information bars seem to appear when I don't want them to, and then are impossible to bring up when I do. Since I got this phone for the 3G web experience, I am having serious doubts if I can live with it!

Page: 1 | 2