Profile for L. Frewin > Reviews

Content by L. Frewin

L. Frewin "L Frewin" (Devon)

Page: 1 | 2
LG 32LK450U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding as a computer monitor, 22 Jun 2012
I initially bought a Toshiba 32BV702B 32" TV as a computer monitor, based largely on an Amazon review that gave the various possible monitor resolutions. There seem to be very few other reviews or specification pages that explain what resolutions are possible on these TV's, and I wanted 1920 x 1080 as a native resolution.

So the Toshiba arrived, was duly plugged into my PC, and boy, what a major disappointment it was.

The picture, when used as a 1920 x 1080 monitor, was absolutely hideous. It had very blurred and ragged fonts, and a strange blue hue, which, despite trying every single setting for both the TV and in my Windows 7 setup, I could not improve. I tried every resolution, and everything below 1920 x 1080, 60hz was even worse.

So the Toshiba went back to Amazon the next day, and I had a refund two days later. Three cheers for Amazon (again)!

I then returned to my search for a 32" TV/Monitor. I was looking for a TV that was around the same price as the Toshiba, and came across this LG 32LK450U which seemed promising. I already have a large LG TV at home, so I knew roughly what to expect in terms of picture quality, menus etc.

Well, the LG TV arrived this morning and was hooked up to my PC straightaway. Without any adjustment whatsoever the 1080p monitor picture was immediately AWESOME. Really nice crisp fonts, beautiful colours, minimal glare, and an easy peasy menu to make those really fine adjustments. The LG also has a VGA input if you want to run an older style computer on it. As mentioned elsewhere in these reviews, I renamed the HDMI port to "PC" in the menu system which strips out some of the picture processing (it takes less than a minute to do).

I have no idea what the LG TV will be like if hooked up to an aerial, but I suspect it will be every bit as good as my home TV, which is also awesome.

My advice then, if you are thinking of buying a Toshiba for use as a monitor, don't bother. Go straight for the LG 32LK450U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

Toshiba 32BV702B 32-inch Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV with Freeview (New for 2012)

1.0 out of 5 stars No good as a monitor, 22 Jun 2012
I bought the 32" version of this Toshiba TV as a computer monitor, based largely on a review here that gave the various possible monitor resolutions. There seem to be very few other reviews or specification pages that explain what resolutions are possible on these TV's, and I wanted 1920 x 1080 as a native resolution.

I then returned to my search for a 32" TV/Monitor. I was looking for a TV that was around the same price as the Toshiba, and came across the LG 32LK450U, a 32-inch 1080p LCD TV that seemed promising. I already have a large LG TV at home, so I knew roughly what to expect in terms of picture quality, menus etc.

My advice then, if you are thinking of buying this Toshiba for use as a monitor, don't bother. Go straight for the LG 32LK450U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2012 1:33 PM BST

[Aftermarket Product] Black Wallet Card Faux Leather Case Cover Flip Pouch Guard For Apple iPhone 4 4S Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus Nexus S3 HTC Sensation XE EVO Design BlackBerry 9360 9900 New

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a cover for my Apple Peel, 21 May 2012
After three months of searching and ordering three separate phone covers that didn't fit, I have finally found a cover that fits my 2nd Generation Apple Peel 520 II.

The Peel is so large there is almost nothing available that fits if snugly, but this case seems like it is custom made to fit. I has the added bonus of somewhere to store your cash and credit cards too.

The quality of the item is average, it's not soft leather, its quite hard and firm, but considering it's protecting a large LCD screen is absolutely fine by me.

So, if you have been searching in vain for a cover for your 2nd Generation Peel 520 II, this will certainly do the business.

uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Wii)
uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Wii)
Offered by eZee Trade
Price: 41.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I cannot believe how poor this is., 7 Feb 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I cannot believe how poor this item is.

The hardware lacks any sort of control over the cursor, it is impossible to define or outline anything, the software would have been nice had it worked. For example, when using painting by numbers all I got was the wrong colour inserted and a refusal by the software to insert or change the colour thereafter, just a weird buzz.

Where are the cursor controls? How can I speed up the cursor? Where is the back button? How do you get out of this software without a reset?

Utter, utter rubbish. Please don't waste your money on this item, get your kids a free copy of Tuxpaint for your PC from the web. It's a thousand times better than this will ever be. It's simple enough for three year old's, it works, and you can save and print your pictures.

I have a lot of different add-ons for the Wii, this one ranks the lowest by a very wide margin.

And just where ARE all of these positive reviews for this product coming from?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 2:31 PM GMT

VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM LCD, LED & Plasma Slim TV Wall Tilt Bracket Black Fits All Models - Samsung LG Sony Philips Toshiba - (23 - 37"), Super-Strength Load Capacity 75Kg, 15 Degree Up/Down Tilt Mechanism, Free Spirit Level
Offered by Designer Habitat
Price: 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't rely on the spirit level!, 29 Jan 2012
A really nice sturdy piece of kit with all the fittings you need to attach it to the wall.

Easy to read instructions with diagrams. A breeze to put up, and good tilt action.

One warning (as others have already said here..), do NOT rely on the small built in spirit level when putting it up. The bracket was about 1/4" out of level when I used it, and I had to refix it using a proper spirit level. Despite that, it's still 5/5 for me.

LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW Bare with Software
LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW Bare with Software

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Blu-Ray writers, 25 Jan 2012
Boy these players are easy to install and use.

I changed two of them over for my existing DVD writers and they were up and running within seconds and haven't stopped since. They have played everything I have thrown at them, and I have even backed up some of my 3D movies with them too.

10/10 from me.

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 1:28 PM GMT

LG 55LW550T 55-inch Widescreen Cinema Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz LED Smart TV with Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away by how good these TV's are. LG 55LW550T, 25 Jan 2012
This TV was WAY BETTER than I expected.

We have already had a few 3D screenings for relatives and they were all blown away too. I really wish I had bought this before Christmas now.

The LG TV was MUCH easier to setup compared to our Sony TV. The LG menu is much more intuitive, you can change your settings really quickly.

In conclusion, I am REALLY glad I bought this TV. The 2D and 3D pictures are outstanding, the menu's are easy-peasy, the glasses are cheap and hassle free, the TV inputs are all you could ever want, and to top it off, you canget 3D movies from Lovefilm as part of your normal subscription!

The 3D is so good I have even booked a holiday for the Venice carnival on the basis of a 3D documentary. I would never have down that with a 2D TV.

I would say if you are unsure about LG's passive 3D technology, check it out in a store. You won't be disappointed.

Well done LG!

[...]

Update 1: I forgot to mention that when the TV arrived by courier from Amazon the outer box was almost totally destroyed from rolling around in the back of a van. It wasn't strapped down or secured at all. Luckily the TV survived unscathed.

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router
Price: 97.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Tweaks for your Billion Bipac 7800n, 30 Sep 2011
I almost gave up on this router and was very close to returning it to Amazon. I spent hours trying to get it to communicate wirelessly with one of our laptops. In doing so I turned the router on/off perhaps 70 times.

CRUCIAL ADVICE: Do NOT constantly switch your router on and off whilst testing it! If you are making amendments to the modem setup unconnected to ADSL, unplug it from your incoming ADSL line until you have finished. Cycling your router whilst it is connected to your ADSL line can seriously affect your IP profile and consequently your connection speed!

For advice on IP Profiles, do an internet search for "What is my broadband IP profile and why is it important".

I have now had the router for about three weeks, and have spent some time finding and applying the best tweaks available. My broadband sync speed has gone from 3500 with our old Netgear modem to 5760 with the Billion 7800n!

Here are the best tweaks for the Billion BiPac 7800n I have found in order of effectiveness:

1) The Billion 7800n SNR tweak (which is found in a hidden modem menu page).

Internet search for "Billion 7800n SNR tweak". You should be able to find advice and SNR values in the top two search page entries.

This tweak took our sync speed from 3400 to 4200!

2) Change your face plate.

Do away with filters completely by changing your faceplate.

Run an Amazon search for "ADSL BROADBAND FACEPLATE SPLITTER".

Changing our faceplate and throwing away our filters improved our sync rate from 4200 to 4800!

Make sure you know what you are doing when changing the plate, or get someone to do it for you.

3) Check your sync rate.

Some IPS's allow you to check your IP profile online. If yours doesn't, try calling them. If your sync rate has improved and it has been stable for a period of at least a week or more, phone your ISP to check whether your IP profile has updated itself.

Our IP profile uprated itself once after three days of the connection being stable, and then again after another 7 days of a stable connection. It pays to be patient.

If you are having problems connecting laptops to the wireless signal, try using WPA2 with AES, it was the only setting that would work for one of our laptops. We also had to set the channel to 12 or 13, perhaps because of our use of TV video senders in the house interfering with the signal.

Despite the early inconveniences with the wireless setup I would still rate the router 5/5. Setting it up was easy (apart from the wireless hiccup), it is much faster than any other modem we have tried on this line (at least 5 different modems including Draytek and Belkin). The connection has been solid with the SNR tweak for more than a week, and the wireless signal reaches parts of the house that were dead spots before.

A FINAL WARNING: If you constantly cycle your router by turning it on and off your IP Profile could shrink and your connection speed to return to the days of dial-up internet for several days. I know because that is exactly what happened to us!
After allowing our IP Profile to remain stable for more than a week our modem has now re-synced at 5760. This is on a country line nearly 3km from the exchange.

UPDATE JANUARY 2012: Our line speed is now synced at a staggering 6400, almost twice the speed we got from our old modem.

Page: 1 | 2