Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Magherafelt, Northern Ireland)

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)
Offered by smeikalbooks
Price: 5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game!!, 7 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Got this game for my PS3 on release day and haven't put it down since! Like so many others on here I was a massive fan of CODMW2 and was anxious to see what this game would bring - trust me, you won't be disappointed! Personally I'm a massive fan of FPS games in general and I think there's plenty of room for both games in anyone's collection.

I have to admit that I was getting quite bored of the usual sequence of events in CODMW2 multiplayer. A few of the reviewers have hit the nail on the head when they say that fundamentally CODMW2 multiplayer is a selfish endeavour - for most people it's all about the kill streak! This game is entirely different.

The squad/objective based approach really makes the team mission your number one priority. You will find yourself wanting to win the round and doing things which support your fellow squad members - including leading that suicidal flanking attack, because yes, it doesn't really matter if you die! lol The option of respawning on one of your surviving squad members adds a further tactical element and enables you to press home that assault or bolster the defence accordingly.

The maps are epic and the intense combat noise and verbal cues make the environment seem like a proper battlefield as opposed to CODMW2's small scale arenas. Of course the fact that most of the environment can be completely destroyed adds to the realism. "Cover from view is not cover from fire" was a saying frequently made when I was a proper soldier; well this game proves it, as you watch that enemy flee behind a wall and obliterate the whole lot with a 120mm tank main armament!!Use of vehicles is awesome, most of which are crew-served, and there's a number of static gun/anti-tank emplacements on the maps. Smaller number of total maps though, even with the VIP code - I assume we're going to have to pay for extra ones in the future as and when they are released? Also I did have some problems getting online today, making me wonder if the PS3 servers are gonna go down like PC/XBox? Still, most online games have these problems in the first few days I think.

Have only completed about half a dozen missions on the single player campaign. I have to admit that I did these on the first day, then switched to multiplayer and haven't touched it since...so maybe that says a lot!?! The key is really getting to grips with how to intelligently destroy the environment and create tactical options, otherwise it's a linear full frontal assault all the way! In that regard I've noticed that the aggressive/loud/maximum levels of violence approach works best....as opposed to CODMW2 where you can use cover to your advantage, crawl into some nice fire positions and conduct a much more systematic attack.

I do really enjoy the characters in Bad Company! Listening to background conversations about "Billy going UFC against the Predator" (that bit from the Predator movie where the Native American soldier cuts his chest on the bridge), or "the sarge versus Hulk Hogan" had me unexpectantly laughing out loud! Certainly not the cold professionalism of a Soap MacTavish or Capt Price!

In summary I can only state my own personal experience; having played it for two days now I'm completely hooked and have placed CODMW2 on the shelf for the forseeable future! I kinda like what one of the lead people involved in this game said about the whole Battlefield vs COD issue - "play both, it's an ADHD sufferer's world"!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2010 11:58 PM BST