Profile for thecabinetscom > Reviews

Six Degrees Coll: Christmas Remixed - Holiday
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 30.20

5.0 out of 5 stars jingle all the ratpack, 24 Dec 2003
this is absolutely legendary. there's nothing i would rather listen to at christmas time. it's been on repeat in my cd player all holiday. basically it is funky/dancey remixes of all the ratpack classic christmas songs. i just simply love it.

The Decline Of British Sea Power
The Decline Of British Sea Power
Price: 11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Review No. 1, Floréal, CCX, 2 Jun 2003
About a year ago, British Sea Power were rumoured to be the 'next big thing' by certain indie magazines, but rather than jumping the 'rock revolution' bandwagon, BSP bided their time, releasing only a few, but nonetheless great EPs, securing some great support slots - notably The Flaming Lips' UK tour - and began to build a fan base on the strength of their music and great live performances, rather than media hype.
Instead of a rush release effort, they have made what is a great record, one that should be regarded as one of the best releases of this year. Their sound is quite different from many of the current crop of indie-rock bands, taking a strange influence from World War I - which is not only present in their fantastic in their fantastic live shows, where the band dress in WWI uniforms and kit out the stage with reeds, grass, stuffed animals and trees - but also seems to manifest itself in the music too, which seems to be filled with a wonderful sense of nostalgia and emotion.

Fever To Tell
Fever To Tell
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah Yeah Yeahs!, 28 April 2003
This review is from: Fever To Tell (Audio CD)
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs had shown a lot of promise with the release of their two EPs, but, good as they were, there was definitely a sense that they could do better. Their debut album shows a great improvement from those two EPs, still keeping that raw sound, but with a definite sense of progression and expansion. This album is much more dynamic - as well as the raucous tracks like first single 'Date with the night', there are slower, more sensitive songs like 'modern romance' and 'maps' - but while being more sensitive, they never comprimise their rock ethic. It's a very good first album from the yeah yeah yeahs, a band that shows a lot of promise.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars cool as funk, 24 Mar 2003
I bought this album mainly on the strength of DJ format's live set supporting jurassic 5, and a promo album sampler I got my hands on at that show. I really like the DJing on this album, I think his samples are cool, and he has good beats to go down with them. Also, he has some great MCing on there, there is a track featuring Akil and Chali 2na from J5, and a few featuring Abdominal, who I had not previously heard of, but is a great MC. I generally really like this album, its humourous in places, particularly the culinary-themed song, and it's always good hip-hop DJing.

Pig Lib
Pig Lib
Price: 7.20

3.0 out of 5 stars I really want to like this album..., 21 Mar 2003
This review is from: Pig Lib (Audio CD)
Hmm. To start, a general introduction. Stephen Malkmus is the ex-frontman of what are undoubtedly one of the best and most hideously underrated bands of the 90s, Pavement. This, his second full-length 'solo' record - the term being used loosely, as he in fact has a whole band, The Jicks - was eagerly expected by me, one of Pavement's greatest fans, and admirer of his first eponymous solo effort. Unfortunately, it really isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, I've given it 3 stars and I think that signifies a good record, but it just give me what I wanted from it. I really wanted a continuation of Pavement in Malkmus' solo records, and in his first I felt I more or less got that, some good tunes, with catchy melodies and typical of later Pavement, zany Malkmus lyrics. And I enjoyed it. With this, I was expecting a similar thing, but it just doesn't quite live up, not to his first, and certainly not to Pavement. Perhaps I was unfair in my expectations.
All that said, there are some good songs on here though. 'Us' is probably my favourite, and 'Animal Midnight' is good too, strange Chas-and-Dave-esque middle section forgiven. But songs like '1% of one' are just too self-indulgent for my liking, and at 9 minutes, far too long. Oddly enough, the bonus disc I got with my copy contains the fantastic 'Fractions and Feelings' which I really can't seem to work out why is not on the album proper.
The bottom line is, this album is okay, it's fine, it's a nice listen, and an enjoyable one, but if I try to put it in order with my Pavement albums it probably comes out last - which is a shame. I think I am making it sound worse than it is, but that is only because I liked Pavement so much and this is not quite as good. But I would still recommend you get it.

From Every Sphere
From Every Sphere
Price: 5.92

4.0 out of 5 stars another fine release from Ed Harcourt, 17 Feb 2003
This review is from: From Every Sphere (Audio CD)
I had always been a fan of Ed Harcourt, his previous album 'Here be monsters' and EP 'Maplewood' were both very good, and this album did not disapoint. This album continues the same sort of sound as heard in his previous releases, but shows development as well, with some quite new and original sounds, such as the inclusion of some electronic drums on a couple of tracks, and some more 'raw' sounding songs. For fans of Ed, this is a perfect follow-up to Here be monsters, and for those who have not heard of him, this is a great starting point for one of England's finest and most underrated songwriters.

Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone
Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone

5.0 out of 5 stars listen to this band on your walkmen, or anywhere else, 14 Feb 2003
This album is simply brilliant. I bought it on the strength of the pitchforkmedia.com review and after downloading the song 'blizzard of 96' which is undoubtedly one of the standout tracks on what is a great album. This album reminds me of snowy childhood days, the awesome piano arrangements sound like what falling snow would if it made a sound, and that mixed with a Smiths-esque guitar sound and very interesting drums, fronted by a singer with the most charismatic voice you could imagine, makes this album simply brilliant. My only criticism would be that a couple of the songs sound rather similar, at first listen anyway, but this is a great first full-length album from a band who will surely go on to greater things. 5 stars.

Pavement - Slow Century [2002] (NTSC) [DVD]
Pavement - Slow Century [2002] (NTSC) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pavement
Price: 13.36

5.0 out of 5 stars flux=rad and so does this DVD!, 25 Oct 2002
With all the current revival of the overrated nirvana, it's good that people are being given the chance to learn about the REAL alternative american rock scene from the 90s, with the re-issue of their first release, Slanted and Enchanted, and this fantastic DVD. Pavement are undoubtedly one of the most influencial bands of the 90s, having a major affect on great british bands like radiohead and blur, but have gone otherwise unnoticed by the general public. not only does this DVD chart the career of this superb band however, but it is also hands down the best music DVD to be released to date. Feauturing every single one of their videos, plus a couple of alternate videos, with commentaries by band members and the directors, plus two whole live concerts, with different camera angles to choose from, plus a documentary on the band, this has to be the most comprehensive DVD I have ever seen. Paired with the fact that it is about one of the best bands of the 90s, you would be mad not to buy it!

Stop Making Sense: Special New Edition
Stop Making Sense: Special New Edition
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars another fine release from the talking heads, 20 Oct 2002
this is a very good live record. it spans most of their career and encapsulates their best songs. i must say, however, that compared to the briliance of some of their earlier releases, in particular the fantastic 'more songs about buildings and food,' their more recent songs just don't fulfil my ideas about what the talking heads is, with the exception of the sublimely witty masterpiece 'once in a lifetime'. nonetheless, it is a great record, but if you don't have 'more songs about buildings and food' then buy that instead.

Finally The Punk Rocker Are Taking Acid 1983 - 1988 (3 Cd Set)
Finally The Punk Rocker Are Taking Acid 1983 - 1988 (3 Cd Set)

5.0 out of 5 stars a great compilation of their early works, 19 Sep 2002
the flaming lips are one of the worlds greatest bands. but i am not going to pretend that their early offerings are anywhere near as good as the genius of yoshimi..., the soft bulletin, clouds..., transmissions..., or even hit to death..., but its still worth a listen. and thankfully some clever so-and-so has put it all on one 3-disc compilation. if nothing else, at least this saves money for newer fans looking to buy out the lips' back catalogue.
just don't be expecting another soft bulletin...

Page: 1 | 2