ARRAY(0xafe05d5c)

Merrell Womens Decora Sonata Waterproof Leather Boot, Mocha
Offered by Outdoor Look
Price: 117.91

5.0 out of 5 stars warm & dry feet, 22 Jan 2014
Review from Bookworm's wife - I was fed up with constantly returning home with wet feet from the daily dog walk, so in an attempt to find waterproof boots I did some research. The Merrell Decora Sonata boots appeared to tick all boxes as I have high insteps the lace up version suited me best. It has taken 2 weeks to 'break the boots' in and I am delighted with their comfort, warmth & waterproofness. They're just as good as my Brasher Hillmaster walking boots which I've owned for years.

Photographer's Guide to the Nikon Coolpix P500: Getting the Most from Nikon's Superzoom Digital Camera
by Alexander S. White
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A non-review, 20 Oct 2013
I have to confess I haven't read this book thoroughly. During the very short time it took to arrive the camera packed up, and because Nikon service centres are as plentiful as hen's teeth I then procrastinated until the warranty had expired. The book and the P500 are now at the back of my wardrobe.

Skeleton Clocks
Skeleton Clocks
by F.B.Royer- Collard

5.0 out of 5 stars The bones of the matter, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Skeleton Clocks (Hardcover)
There are very few decent books on the subject of skeleton clocks, and this is probably the definitive volume. For some reason I don't really understand, many eminent horologists are a bit sniffy about skeleton clocks, although many are beautifully made and some have complications on a par with far more valuable clocks in wooden boxes. If you need proof, read this book.

The Big Cheese Multi-Catch Rat Trap
The Big Cheese Multi-Catch Rat Trap
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An unfair test, 20 Oct 2013
I am not really sure how effective this product is, as two days after it arrived in the post, my dog proudly presented me with the rat he had caught.

Advanced Pest Repeller
Advanced Pest Repeller
Price: 13.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Question effectiveness, 20 Oct 2013
I think these things do work to a certain extent, but if the little varmints can find food or cosy winter lodgings they will put up with the inconvenience. These work best in a clear, open space, so my garage, with its piles of junk and tubs of wild bird food is ideal for mice, but not for ultrasonic mouse deterrents.

Strings Attached: The Life and Music of John Williams
Strings Attached: The Life and Music of John Williams
by William Starling
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 28 July 2013
Reading between the lines of Mr Starling's introduction, I suspect that John Williams felt that insufficient recognition had ever been accorded to his undoubtedly influential father, Len, and that without Len's story becoming the preface to John's story, this book would never have been sanctioned. Despite some of the comments in these reviews, I have to agree with the author that understanding Len Williams' influence on his prodigy throws much light on the complex character and the amazing achievements of John Williams.

I found the book well written and totally absorbing and was quite relieved and grateful to have been spared any of the sordid, and probably exaggerated, revelations that so many current autobiographies seem to revel in. But I have little doubt that John Williams would be unlikely to allow his privacy to be violated in such a manner anyway.

Having spent many, many hours in my youth failing miserably to extract anything resembling music from a guitar, I stand in awe of John Williams' prodigious talent, and the dedication needed to capitalise on it. I have long admired his self-effacing modesty and his determination not to be bound by conventional definitions of a "Classical Guitarist".

This is a solid appraisal of the achievements so far of probably the greatest classical (but much more than just classical) guitarist of our age. This is a book well worth reading.

Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales
Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales
by Beatrix Potter
Price: 24.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical book, 16 Feb 2013
What a beautiful book! Very well printed on nice quality paper and boxed to protect the binding. All the Beatrix Potter stories are there, with all her original illustrations and a nice extra touch, each has a little introduction explaining where Beatrix was in her life when it was written; so this is a book for adults as well as children. It is certain that anyone interested enough in this book to read these reviews will not be disappointed with their purchase.

Repairing Old Clocks and Watches
Repairing Old Clocks and Watches
by Anthony Whiten
Price: 16.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for beginners, 30 Jan 2013
This was the very first book I bought on the subject over thirty years ago when I was urged to become interested in horology - my wife had just bought a clock at an antiques fair which, of course, didn't go. It is frequently witty and beautifully written in proper English, and it certainly increased my limited knowledge and understanding at that time. I now recognise that some of the suggested repairs would have a museum conservationist throwing up their hands in horror, but Mr Whiten is at pains to differentiate between important horological specimens and the junk-shop finds that we amateurs practice on. I am now addicted to the subject, but if I had first bought one of the dry horological tomes that now line my bookshelves I doubt if I would still be learning this fascinating subject today. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the person who has just become the owner of an old broken clock or watch and fancies trying to fix it.

Lexmark X4650 Wireless All In One Printer, Scanner, Copier
Lexmark X4650 Wireless All In One Printer, Scanner, Copier

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this machine, 21 Dec 2012
Assuming Lexmark sell this printer at a low price with the expectation of getting their profit from the sale of ink cartridges, then they certainly shot themselves in the foot with my example. For this cunning ploy to work it needs the printer to outlast the cartridges. After 18 months and still on the first replacement cartridges it has died. I have to say it was very simple to set up for wireless operation and worked well while it lasted, but I couldn't recommend it, even if I didn't like you.

British Wildlife: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide)
by Paul Sterry
Price: 11.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Just my luck, 27 Sep 2012
I originally bought a copy of this book eight or ten years ago to go in the rucksack. As a quick guide to most of the things you would find on a walk it proved invaluable - it isn't as comprehensive as it claims to be, but you can't carry a whole library in a daybag, there wouldn't be room for your sandwiches. The book came with an indispensable plastic sleeve keeping the worst of the rain off and stopping it getting too dog-eared. Unfortunately, my copy had been badly trimmed, so there were no page numbers which reduced the value of the index somewhat! I recently lost the book, it is probably on a mountainside or coastal path somewhere, so I ordered a new one. This time I have page numbers, but beware, it no longer comes with that very useful plastic cover. The concept of this book is ideal for what I want, but why do I always find myself disappointed?

Page: 1 | 2